Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:47:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to import private key with bitcoin core  (Read 1387 times)
hec4mu (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 06:43:40 AM

Hi I've been trying to import with a private key on bitcoin core using this guide: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Help:How_to_import_private_keys_in_Bitcoin_Core_0.7%2B

Also been googling for answers because I've been getting: Invalid private key encoding (code -5)

Using Bitcoin Core version v0.11.2 (64-bit)
The format that I've been using is:

importprivkey "6P***************************3r"

I've also tried:
importprivkey "bitcoinprivkey" ( "label" rescan )

During my google search, I've found this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=942256.0

Someone mentions that private keys are only 51 or 52 characters

My private key is 58 characters and now I'm afraid that my key might be the problem.

Been searching google for answers for a few hours and can't find an answer.

Any advice/help is much appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7997

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 06:57:51 AM

Where did you get this "private key"?   It's obviously not a wallet import format private key because it doesn't start with a 5...
hec4mu (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 08:54:53 AM

I bought it from ebay.

Pretty sure I got scammed but now even more so.

Can you tell me if there are even private keys with 58 characters though? It would help me in my report to ebay.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6122

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 09:36:06 AM

Why the hell you bought a private key ? You could simply make an address and buy bitcoins instead . If the offer was irresistible then it's probably a scam .
Now without looking to the length of the private keys , as far as I know a private key can never start with 6 , It start either with L , K or 5 , Just like Bitcoin addresses start with either 1 or 3 (If it's multi signature)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hec4mu (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 10:02:04 AM

Why the hell you bought a private key ? You could simply make an address and buy bitcoins instead . If the offer was irresistible then it's probably a scam .
Now without looking to the length of the private keys , as far as I know a private key can never start with 6 , It start either with L , K or 5 , Just like Bitcoin addresses start with either 1 or 3 (If it's multi signature)

I bought bitcoins that were sent as a private key Sad
jaydipmodhwadia

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Verify my Bitcoin Address before EVERY transaction

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 02:11:56 PM

Do a chargeback if you can...
I am sorry, but it seems you got scammed...
hec4mu (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 02:35:40 PM

Yes, I've already initiated a return on ebay. I have to wait a few business days for ebay to respond/initiate the return and then couple more days after the scammer receives the item. Just sucks because this was a Christmas present. Hopefully everything works out and the scammer doesn't get away with it.
siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 03:17:58 PM

Yes, I've already initiated a return on ebay. I have to wait a few business days for ebay to respond/initiate the return and then couple more days after the scammer receives the item. Just sucks because this was a Christmas present. Hopefully everything works out and the scammer doesn't get away with it.

Nearly all BTC sales on ebay are scams. Much better and safer ways to buy Bitcoins. localbitcoins for instance offers escrow and so do a few sellers right here on the forum.

Also buying private keys is just senseless, as the seller can just reddem the coins before you ever get to import them.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 04:04:15 PM

Did you get a password with the private key?

BIP 38 private key: 6PfT3TGreKF8FEUr9beib16aGJaqvpbvFheG8D5F1FsF3o4uyi5ob9ksdD (pass is "abc")
Private key: 5JYXd9hm7iDyzxZm1RFC5EX5Afq49kcqYSY79MPgUfjgtave5wW
Address: 1NJz1FpxFS28FPepG2aEw61qYvFMktHijT
Private key (comp): KzSAAZQuicxJapFbEr1dsgfjPgP6udXBFmiJ7s17F7yR4EUAY5ko
Address: 1gpjXPtmoSzAMcA9i1kZ2p5XZcykXChfp

You can test the above on bitaddress.org (or your local copy) via "Wallet Details".

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
hec4mu (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 05:14:25 PM

Nearly all BTC sales on ebay are scams. Much better and safer ways to buy Bitcoins. localbitcoins for instance offers escrow and so do a few sellers right here on the forum.

Also buying private keys is just senseless, as the seller can just reddem the coins before you ever get to import them.

Yes, lesson definitely learned now.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7997

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 05:22:49 PM

If you were truly scammed, make a post about it https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=83.0 and give some details!

edit - did you see Shorena's post? It could be a BIP38 encoded private key.
hec4mu (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 05:33:09 PM

Did you get a password with the private key?

BIP 38 private key: 6PfT3TGreKF8FEUr9beib16aGJaqvpbvFheG8D5F1FsF3o4uyi5ob9ksdD (pass is "abc")
Private key: 5JYXd9hm7iDyzxZm1RFC5EX5Afq49kcqYSY79MPgUfjgtave5wW
Address: 1NJz1FpxFS28FPepG2aEw61qYvFMktHijT
Private key (comp): KzSAAZQuicxJapFbEr1dsgfjPgP6udXBFmiJ7s17F7yR4EUAY5ko
Address: 1gpjXPtmoSzAMcA9i1kZ2p5XZcykXChfp

You can test the above on bitaddress.org (or your local copy) via "Wallet Details".

Hi Shorena,

Thank you for your feedback. It is very informative. So it seems a 58 character private key does exist as a BIP 38 private key?

No, I did not receive a password. I tried to import on blockchain and also asked for the passphrase after I entered the private key.
The seller only sent me a public key (watch only) and private key. I unfortunately thought that was all I needed as I wasted many hours trying to figure it out with google searches and messing with bitcoin core. Huge lesson learned the hard way I guess you could say.

WHOOPS messed up inserting homer's quote (new to using forums)

Yes, I did. Was trying to respond but 360 second wait inbetween posts. Also after I talk to ebay, which I still have to wait until the 29th, then I will post all evidence with pictures proving he only sent public key and the 58 characters. More to add to it that he initially sent 0 bitcoins and only added the bitcoins AFTER I received the package and AFTER I made a complaint which can be proven on the blockchain because it shows what time the bitcoin was added to the public address. Also to answer why I bought from the seller was because he had like 99% positive feedback. Which could be genuine or could be fabricated because after viewing these forums I've noticed people selling ebay/paypal accounts and I'm sure there are people manipulating their own feedback. Just a hunch.
hec4mu (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 05:46:19 PM

If you were truly scammed, make a post about it https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=83.0 and give some details!

edit - did you see Shorena's post? It could be a BIP38 encoded private key.

Yes, I did. Was trying to respond but 360 second wait inbetween posts. Also after I talk to ebay, which I still have to wait until the 29th, then I will post all evidence with pictures proving he only sent public key and the 58 characters. More to add to it that he initially sent 0 bitcoins and only added the bitcoins AFTER I received the package and AFTER I made a complaint which can be proven on the blockchain because it shows what time the bitcoin was added to the public address. Also to answer why I bought from the seller was because he had like 99% positive feedback. Which could be genuine or could be fabricated because after viewing these forums I've noticed people selling ebay/paypal accounts and I'm sure there are people manipulating their own feedback. Just a hunch/possibility.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2015, 05:54:45 PM

-snip-
Hi Shorena,

Thank you for your feedback. It is very informative. So it seems a 58 character private key does exist as a BIP 38 private key?

No, I did not receive a password. I tried to import on blockchain and also asked for the passphrase after I entered the private key.
The seller only sent me a public key (watch only) and private key. I unfortunately thought that was all I needed as I wasted many hours trying to figure it out with google searches and messing with bitcoin core. Huge lesson learned the hard way I guess you could say.
-snip-

Yes, its a method to protect paper wallets. Its common to store bitcoin such that the private key is on paper, a silver/gold/etc. coin or other methods. The problem with that is that someone might see the private key and use it. All coins would be lost. BIP38 is a way to protects such a private key with a password. If blockchain.info asks you for a password its very likely that what you got is indeed a protected private key. If was transported by mail it makes sense to load the bitcoin at a later date as well. Try to contact the seller, it could have been a security scheme and not a scam attempt.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
hec4mu (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2015, 11:13:35 PM

-snip-
Hi Shorena,

-snip-

Yes, its a method to protect paper wallets. Its common to store bitcoin such that the private key is on paper, a silver/gold/etc. coin or other methods. The problem with that is that someone might see the private key and use it. All coins would be lost. BIP38 is a way to protects such a private key with a password. If blockchain.info asks you for a password its very likely that what you got is indeed a protected private key. If was transported by mail it makes sense to load the bitcoin at a later date as well. Try to contact the seller, it could have been a security scheme and not a scam attempt.

Thanks Shorena,

Have actually sent multiple messages including asking if there was a specific pass phrase for it but he has ignored all messages. Hopefully he responds soon. Maybe it's due to the holiday season, hopefully. Either way I still believe it's bad business practice to describe an item then ship something useless to the buyer. Not to mention as I stated ignoring messages. One thing that I did notice was someone else complaining about not receiving bitcoin with their purchase that contributed to his less than perfect 100% rating. This occurred over 6 months ago though.

Anyhow thanks for the information. Clears up any doubts that I was going about the process wrong on my part. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: