Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:51:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The next time anyone accuses Bitcoin of Money Laundering, point them here:  (Read 4273 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 07:05:12 PM
Last edit: December 15, 2012, 04:47:15 AM by cypherdoc

And not one bankster has gone to prison.

“We accept responsibility for our past mistakes,” Gulliver said in a statement. “We have said we are profoundly sorry for them, and we do so again. The HSBC of today is a fundamentally different organization from the one that made those mistakes.”

Translation: "We are profoundly sorry; for having been caught".

"The decision not to prosecute HSBC was a decision of the Justice Department and was influenced by factors including the impact of the probe on the company’s employees and the potential economic effect, Breuer said."

Translation:  "Keep it up.  There will be no repercussions".

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-12/hsbc-mexican-branches-said-to-be-traffickers-favorites.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 08:34:25 PM

Nice one! Though I think it's more logical to compare Bitcoin with a currency, for example "accusing Bitcoin of money laundering, is like accusing USD of money laundering". It wouldn't make sense.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 08:37:40 PM

It makes sense for the masses of masses that don't have a clue what a BTC is. All that sticks is "bitcoins are for gangstahs" Cry

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 08:54:52 PM

Bankers, gangsters, is there a difference?

Let me answer this:

NO

BoardGameCoin

Activity: 283

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 09:01:23 PM

People, always conflating... =P

I'm selling great Minion Games like The Manhattan Project, Kingdom of Solomon and Venture Forth at 4% off retail starting June 2012. PM me or go to my thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.

For Settlers/Dominion/Carcassone etc., I do email gift cards on Amazon for a 5% fee. PM if you're interested.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 12:21:47 AM

Nice find. And yes, Bitcoin being better than the banking system it should have more license than the banking system. Thus, anyone complaining of BTC money laundering should first compile a few trillion dollars' worth of solid evidence or else stfu.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:18:05 AM

Thus, anyone complaining of BTC money laundering should first compile a few trillion dollars' worth of solid evidence or else stfu.

+1 lol!  oh, the truth hurts.  Cheesy
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 05:06:48 AM

HSBC, the British banking giant, will pay $1.9 billion to settle a money-laundering probe by federal and state authorities in the United States, a law enforcement official said Monday.

source

"The decision not to prosecute HSBC was a decision of the Justice Department and was influenced by ... $1.9B, Breuer didn't say."

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
niko

Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:15:57 AM

Yes. Some gangsters end up in prisons.  If I rob a granny in the street and get caught, I'll probably serve time. If I take her life savings and kick her out in the street, I get to spend all the money, and move on. A person representing the company I worked for would state how "we deeply regret" - that is all.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Shotgun_WooWoo

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:22:20 PM

Too much negativity associated with bitcoin, at least from my perspective.  For all we know, the blocks we solve could come from a bad source or help 'negative' computations.

Weird...

MPOE-PR

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 06:37:34 PM

If you've ever been arrested on a drug charge, if you've ever spent even a day in jail for having a stem of marijuana in your pocket or "drug paraphernalia" in your gym bag, Assistant Attorney General and longtime Bill Clinton pal Lanny Breuer has a message for you: Bite me.

Breuer this week signed off on a settlement deal with the British banking giant HSBC that is the ultimate insult to every ordinary person who's ever had his life altered by a narcotics charge. Despite the fact that HSBC admitted to laundering billions of dollars for Colombian and Mexican drug cartels (among others) and violating a host of important banking laws (from the Bank Secrecy Act to the Trading With the Enemy Act), Breuer and his Justice Department elected not to pursue criminal prosecutions of the bank, opting instead for a "record" financial settlement of $1.9 billion, which as one analyst noted is about five weeks of income for the bank.

The banks' laundering transactions were so brazen that the NSA probably could have spotted them from space. Breuer admitted that drug dealers would sometimes come to HSBC's Mexican branches and "deposit hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, in a single day, into a single account, using boxes designed to fit the precise dimensions of the teller windows."

This bears repeating: in order to more efficiently move as much illegal money as possible into the "legitimate" banking institution HSBC, drug dealers specifically designed boxes to fit through the bank's teller windows. Tony Montana's henchmen marching dufflebags of cash into the fictional "American City Bank" in Miami was actually more subtle than what the cartels were doing when they washed their cash through one of Britain's most storied financial institutions.

Though this was not stated explicitly, the government's rationale in not pursuing criminal prosecutions against the bank was apparently rooted in concerns that putting executives from a "systemically important institution" in jail for drug laundering would threaten the stability of the financial system. The New York Times put it this way:

Federal and state authorities have chosen not to indict HSBC, the London-based bank, on charges of vast and prolonged money laundering, for fear that criminal prosecution would topple the bank and, in the process, endanger the financial system.

Source: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/outrageous-hsbc-settlement-proves-the-drug-war-is-a-joke-20121213

Plain and simple, Bitcoin therefore has complete immunity from any money laundering charge in the US. This case is precedent.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 06:44:54 PM

Too much negativity associated with bitcoin, at least from my perspective.  For all we know, the blocks we solve could come from a bad source or help 'negative' computations.

Weird...

You wouldn't say that if you had done your research.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 11:05:21 PM

It just goes to prove that everything is about money in this world.

Scam 10K, go to jail, scam 100 billions, get a slap on the wrist.

I'll just put this here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100747.msg1397760#msg1397760
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 11:24:43 PM

I'm just going to accuse them right back. I'll accuse them of Money Whistling. Then we can have a ridiculous conversation about an ill-defined and made up thing, since that's obviously what they wanted. Of course, I'll have an edge since I'm a Money Whistling expert and they've probably not even heard of it before, what amateurs.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Herodes

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 01:12:38 AM

This thread should become a sticky, showing how worthless the argument about rejecting to work with bitcoin businesses because of fears of 'money laundering' really is.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 01:40:23 AM

Weird...

IBM helped Nazis.. their tech probably lives on in your hardware and therefore the blockchain, so... be careful, don't catch Nazism.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 06:44:30 PM

On a side note, as a result of the "satisfactory" performance of HSBC (thanks to some of its Mexican and Colombian customers), The CEO, Stuart Gulliver, "earned" a compensation in excess of 11 million dollars in 2011.

When you think that a Nobel Prize winner gets, only once,  1 million dollar for a lifetime of scientific achievements, you realize how lucky we are to have such "brains" as Gulliver managing the banks (i.e counting beans).

fellowtraveler

Activity: 440

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 09:24:35 PM

What is this "money laundering" crime of which you speak?

I can find nothing about it in the Law of Moses.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 09:50:08 PM

There is a much greater issue here that also points heavily towards a possible long term success for bitcoin ... "too big to prosecute"

The banks are so vulnerable and weak (due to the unmasking of their confidence scams of fiat money and fractional reserve banking) that the State dare not pursue them for ANY crimes since the whole edifice may collapse around them ... who cares about money laundering when the whole system may lock up in an instant?

They will able to run amok without fear as long as this situation persists. The prosecutors themselves are now openly saying this is the case (others wiser have known since 1998 LTCM affair it was so, moral hazard).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/9743839/Banks-are-too-big-to-prosecute-says-FSAs-Andrew-Bailey.html

The largest banks have become too big to prosecute because of the impact criminal charges would have on confidence in them, Britain’s most senior bank regulator has admitted.

Herodes

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 12:19:56 AM

I don't quite understand this.

Now, it's out in the open that banks has assisted in 'money laundering', 'tax evation' and a a lot of other types of criminal activities. So, that should be on public record, and anyone should be able to know about this. Now, is the point that if they have some executives go to jail, then the entire bank will collapse, and may cause collapse in the entire financial system ? That doesn'ẗ make any sense whatsoever. Let's imagine that a bank has 10000 employes, and let's say that 5% of these are engaged in criminal acts, that means 500. This is quite the substantional number, but please don't make me believe that putting all of these to jail, and substituting them with someone else, that we believe to be better banktsters, would cause a collapse in the financial system ?

And what would be the difference in the public eye of fines or having 50 banksters going to jail for a couple of years ? I don't think the public would care much either way..

People have a very short memory for these kinds of things, and I think the fear that's often displayed is unwarranted for.

At the same time we need to ask ourselves the question, is it the government that decides how things are run, or is it the banks ?

I think the top executives should be put in jail, and other people involved should simply lose their job, perhaps get fined or jailed, depending on the seriousness of their crimes.

Now, when we see that not only does the banks get away with it (apart from paying a fine), they even give bonuses to their top executives involved in the very same criminal activity.

Now, should we not just prosectute those banksters without fearing that 'the system' would break down ? If it breaks down, then it breaks down, and what is their fear then, that people will revolt when their savings vanishes?

Do they not see, that this only spurs contempt in the general public? Perhaps most people are too dumb to see what's going on ?

It reminds me a bit about Enron, huge failures, yet execs gets a lot of bonuses:
http://www.forbes.com/2001/12/05/1205enron.html

The only logical conclusion is that everything is owned by the big capital, and that big capital rules everything and is in fact above the law.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 02:37:42 AM

this man alone put over a thousand banksters in jail back in the 1980's:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_K._Black

he, along with Janet Tavakoli, Simon Johnson, Joseph Stiglitz and a few others unfortunately can't stop the fraud and control from occurring.  Gresham's Law is deeply entrenched in the leadership arena of this country.  the bad have driven out the good.  

not throwing these guys in prison for fear of a loss of confidence in the banking system is just a diversion and excuse.  it would actually do the opposite.

this is why Bitcoin's future is so bright.  your only chance of survival is getting into a system that cannot be manipulated.
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 02:50:01 AM

And not one bankster has gone to prison.

“We accept responsibility for our past mistakes,” Gulliver said in a statement. “We have said we are profoundly sorry for them, and we do so again. The HSBC of today is a fundamentally different organization from the one that made those mistakes.”

Translation: "We are profoundly sorry; for having been caught".

"The decision not to prosecute HSBC was a decision of the Justice Department and was influenced by factors including the impact of the probe on the company’s employees and the potential economic effect, Breuer said."

Translation:  "Keep it up.  There will be no repercussions".

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-12/hsbc-mexican-branches-said-to-be-traffickers-favorites.html

Saying that isn't really a logical argument on bitcoin being used to launder money. You are basically saying, well they also launder money which doesn't change the fact that btc can be used to clean dirty fiat. But any medium of exchange can be used to launder funds.

Don't get me wrong, not saying it should negatively affect bitcoin as currency but argument wouldn't fly on anyone with a brain

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
MPOE-PR

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 08:33:01 AM

Saying that isn't really a logical argument on bitcoin being used to launder money. You are basically saying, well they also launder money which doesn't change the fact that btc can be used to clean dirty fiat. But any medium of exchange can be used to launder funds.

Don't get me wrong, not saying it should negatively affect bitcoin as currency but argument wouldn't fly on anyone with a brain

Try this one on your brain for size:

Dude with a hat goes up to other dude with a hat.
"Dude! You're under arrest!"
"Why ?"
"You're wearing a hat!"
"Get bent."

Money laundering can either be good or bad. It can't be good when the gov't does it but bad when some random party not in the old boys' club does it. Anyone with half a brain can see that.

goodbc

Activity: 105
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 01:10:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO6HV6xTmI  Wink

Check your IQ! Send any amount to this address:
1GoodBTCiGyd1J1LkDhCThfTHG8n9WJnNn
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2012, 04:02:23 PM

lol french fried felon. That is some classic shit. One of the funniest George Carlin pieces I've seen. Especially relevant to this thread. Nice share.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 04:06:39 PM

Gangsters have a pretty fucked up code of honor but the point is they have a code of honor. banksters on the other hand...

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 10:04:27 AM

And on the BBC today - UBS now fined $1.5B.
Wow. How much have banks paid in fines this week?
Almost $4 B... I'd say it's getting kind of expensive to be a Bankster but we all know this just means they raise fees and beg the govt for more funny money.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 11:28:05 AM

And on the BBC today - UBS now fined $1.5B.
Wow. How much have banks paid in fines this week?
Almost $4 B... I'd say it's getting kind of expensive to be a Bankster but we all know this just means they raise fees and beg the govt for more funny money.

When will the nightmare stop?   It's almost like it's become expected behavior that's just par for the course.   Scary situation.

Nothing like this to focus ones mind.
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:24:22 AM

Criminals will always go to the easiest, safest method for money laundering.  If bitcoin or Mexican HSBC is the easiest, that's what they'll use.  Oh well.  Stop the crime they got the money from in the first place.

The big difference with bitcoin is it takes the BTC is the next version of the client will have a button that takes 0.005BTC and shoves it directly up the HSBC executives' asses.  That's figuratively but really, it just takes all their power away to do stupid shit like this and control money and control politics and control whole countries and control big businesses, etc.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: