Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:57:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Full node with search function???  (Read 1346 times)
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2015, 11:40:25 AM

ive been running a full node for a while now but i was surprised that since i hold the full ledger on my pc then shouldn't i be able to search for any transaction without using a 3rd party website? Or is this already a feature and ive just completely missed how to do it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2015, 03:13:14 PM

There is, kind of. You need to use the debug console. In the debug console, you can get information about a block using
Code:
getblock <hash>

where <hash> is the hash of the block.
You can get the hash by using
Code:
getblockhashs <height>
where <height> is the block height.

You can also get transaction info by using
Code:
getrawtransaction <txid>
Where <txid> is the txid. This won't always work since Bitcoin Core doesn't index all of the transactions by default. If you want to be able to search every single transaction in the blockchain, then you will need to enable txindex by adding
Code:
txindex=1
to your bitcoin.conf file or add -txindex to the command that starts up Bitcoin Core.

helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2015, 08:28:44 PM

There is, kind of. You need to use the debug console. In the debug console, you can get information about a block using
Code:
getblock <hash>

Code:
getblockhashs <height>

Code:
getrawtransaction <txid>
Where <txid> is the txid. This won't always work since Bitcoin Core doesn't index all of the transactions by default. If you want to be able to search every single transaction in the blockchain, then you will need to enable txindex by adding
Code:
txindex=1
to your bitcoin.conf file or add -txindex to the command that starts up Bitcoin Core.

That seems like a lot of hassle just to do a search. i would be easier just using blockchain.info or something similar. i wonder if they will implement this into later updates. i know its not essential but it seems like it would be kind of handy and convenient to have built into the node. it atleast gives a small bit of incentive to actually run the full node in that you can search it as well.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 27, 2015, 10:44:28 PM

Code:
getblock <hash>

Code:
getblockhashs <height>

Code:
getrawtransaction <txid>
Code:
txindex=1

That seems like a lot of hassle just to do a search. i would be easier just using blockchain.info or something similar. i wonder if they will implement this into later updates. i know its not essential but it seems like it would be kind of handy and convenient to have built into the node. it atleast gives a small bit of incentive to actually run the full node in that you can search it as well.

I think it is much more likely that the recommendation will be to use an add on web (or other) interface that queries Bitcoin core versus having it integrated into Bitcoin core itself.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 02:20:10 AM

Code:
getblock <hash>

Code:
getblockhashs <height>

Code:
getrawtransaction <txid>
Code:
txindex=1

I don't see a need to implement such features on Core. You can use existing websites or setup a blockchain explorer yourself
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 03:01:24 AM

Code:
getblock <hash>

Code:
getblockhashs <height>

Code:
getrawtransaction <txid>
Code:
txindex=1

I don't see a need to implement such features on Core. You can use existing websites or setup a blockchain explorer yourself

Obviously there is no need for it but if you have the whole ledger sitting on your computer you would think you wouldn't need a third party to access it really.  Not a must but would be a welcome feature. 

domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1161

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 12:31:55 PM

Obviously there is no need for it but if you have the whole ledger sitting on your computer you would think you wouldn't need a third party to access it really.  Not a must but would be a welcome feature. 

As others explained already, there are ways to access the ledger - just not out-of-the-box with a nice GUI.  So if you want, you can, but since most people probably don't need that every day, it makes sense to not bloat Bitcoin Core's UI with it.

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 12:37:05 PM

As others explained already, there are ways to access the ledger - just not out-of-the-box with a nice GUI.  So if you want, you can, but since most people probably don't need that every day, it makes sense to not bloat Bitcoin Core's UI with it.

Sound like im the only person that would think this would fit nicely into bitcoin core then =p

fbueller

Activity: 412
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 08:36:14 PM

Github is a good place to discuss this stuff! An address based index was discussed recently: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6835 but ultimately, it would result in unnecessary bloat for a full node. Arbitrary searches (eg, all tx's with *this* public key) involve a full scan of every block, so it's an intensive task.

The Unix way is to write a simple command, that does one thing. Trying to meet everyone's needs is impossible, so best to allow specialized apps to flourish as separate projects.

Bitwasp Developer.
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 11:58:27 AM

Sound like im the only person that would think this would fit nicely into bitcoin core then =p

Everyone would be happy to have the functionality, but hardly anyone would be willing to put up with the cost.  You probably just don't have a sense of what a block explorer entails based on your previous comment about already having the ledger on the computer.  The blockchain is basically a highly compressed record that is not amenable to quickly searching by address.  A service like blockchain.info has a custom database that they created from the blockchain, but who's data structures are searchable by address, balance, etc..  Such a database could be many times larger than the standard blockchain, and I think it would take something like a week of CPU time to do all the indexing.
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2949

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:12:32 PM

[...]able to search for any transaction without using a 3rd party website?
Code:
getrawtransaction <txid>
That seems like a lot of hassle just to do a search.

That's just lazy if you ask me. It can be done in two commands(including  txindex=1 which you only need to use once).

helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 04:41:10 PM

[...]able to search for any transaction without using a 3rd party website?
Code:
getrawtransaction <txid>
That seems like a lot of hassle just to do a search.

That's just lazy if you ask me. It can be done in two commands(including  txindex=1 which you only need to use once).

Ok its not hassle but its not very convenient is it,Id be faster just opening a third party explorer than finding out the command ,It could just be a search bar thats just for lazy people right?. Why have it more complicated than it needs to be?? I mean at the moment there is no incentive to run a node other than supporting bitcoin which most adopters arent going to do,I didnt think it would be such a big issue putting something like this in but obviously it is.

Anyway we have cleared up already that nobody wants it in the core and its too hard on resources.

calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 03:19:58 PM

Yeah sounds like a lot of hassle, think i will just continue to use a blockexplorer website. 
Beparanf

Activity: 2758
Merit: 761

Burpaaa

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 10:23:08 AM

Yeah sounds like a lot of hassle, think i will just continue to use a blockexplorer website.  

Yes. I also use website block explorer. That is fast and I do not type command lines. I can see more with block explorer.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████