Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:40:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does Deepbit never report a correct MH/s rate?  (Read 1490 times)
kiwiasian (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 04:24:39 PM

I have three GPUs going at 350 MH/s each, totaling 1050 MH/s. Deepbit always reports a MH/s lower than 1050 MH/s. In fact, it's always between 800 MH/s - 950 MH/s. If Deepbit isn't even recognizing my increased hashing power I might as well get rid of my third GPU.

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentakin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 04:33:01 PM

Deepbit counts the number of shares you have submitted in the past x minutes, where x can be set by you.

It's possible to transform that number of submitted shares into your expected hashrate. If you're lucky, you find more shares than a user with your hashrate would find on average, and then your deepbit hashmeter will show more than your actual hashrate. If you're experiencing bad luck, then the hash rate shown will be lower at deepbit.

If it's ALWAYS lower, that could mean something is wrong with your miner. On average (over a long period of time), it should be the hash rate shown in your miner.

I'm having problems with diablominer and my hardware, where every third hash that is found by the miner is actually invalid and thus not submitted to deepbit. So deepbit shows ~33% less hash rate on average. When using phoenix, my hardware works fine, and deepbit shows sometimes more, sometimes less than the hashrate shown in phoenix.

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
Chucksta

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 04:39:34 PM

Deepbit counts the number of shares you have submitted in the past x minutes, where x can be set by you.

It's possible to transform that number of submitted shares into your expected hashrate. If you're lucky, you find more shares than a user with your hashrate would find on average, and then your deepbit hashmeter will show more than your actual hashrate. If you're experiencing bad luck, then the hash rate shown will be lower at deepbit.

If it's ALWAYS lower, that could mean something is wrong with your miner. On average (over a long period of time), it should be the hash rate shown in your miner.

I'm having problems with diablominer and my hardware, where every third hash that is found by the miner is actually invalid and thus not submitted to deepbit. So deepbit shows ~33% less hash rate on average. When using phoenix, my hardware works fine, and deepbit shows sometimes more, sometimes less than the hashrate shown in phoenix.
Use a real miner, did you know Nazis invented Java right?  Grin

Nazis invented coffee !! well bugger me sideways !
kiwiasian (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 04:48:20 PM

The thing is Deepbit pays out proportionally by the hash rate. So if my hash rate gets reported 500 MH/s below my real hash rate of 1 GH/s, then I'll only receive a proportional payout equal to someone hashing at 500MH/s.

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 04:53:40 PM
Last edit: June 07, 2011, 05:09:15 PM by Serge

I look at Deepbit's reported MH/s as a luck indicator, if deepbit reports greater speed than my actual hashing speed I'm more lucky at finding and submitting shares at that point in time. If the number is lower then I'm obviously behind of expected results. Overall with time passing it all evens out (statistically).

EDIT: another note on the "luck" thing, I've noticed that when system runs unstable or 'semi-stable' which could due to extreme OC'ing or congestion of heat near GPUs and or PSU, performance in submitting accepted shares is 1-10% lower of that actual miner's reported throughput. I also think another reason for poor performance could be due to having not enough power.
exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:10:52 PM

The thing is Deepbit pays out proportionally by the hash rate. So if my hash rate gets reported 500 MH/s below my real hash rate of 1 GH/s, then I'll only receive a proportional payout equal to someone hashing at 500MH/s.

No, that's not how it works.  DeepBit pays for the proportion of shares you submit to the pool during the round.  The hash rate that's displayed is just for display purposes and is an approximation.  The pool does not know your actual hashrate, it just sees the shares you are submitting.  Since your share submissions vary (you don't find shares at constant intervals), so does the rate DeepBit displays. 

I'm doing about 9500 MH/s right now.  Deepbit is showing about 8900 MH/s right now.  Sometimes it's showing closer to 10k MH/s.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: