Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:53:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hype comparing now and then  (Read 1396 times)
Luno (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 01:08:25 PM

For those of you that was around back in May-July 2011, how does the media attention then compare to now?

I know that the common public knowledge was smaller (fewer Wiki hits then) but I'm trying to compare the media attention now compared to a year and a half ago.

The number of news articles was 3 times larger then, but are the sources and quality better now and does the media attention differ this time?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 01:58:13 PM

For those of you that was around back in May-July 2011, how does the media attention then compare to now?

I know that the common public knowledge was smaller (fewer Wiki hits then) but I'm trying to compare the media attention now compared to a year and a half ago.

The number of news articles was 3 times larger then, but are the sources and quality better now and does the media attention differ this time?

I feel that last time the articles were not much more than "What is bitcoin?! Look at this whacky Internet thing!"

Now the articles are about actual events, sites that are accepting btc, and useful things of that nature.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:20:29 PM

May to July 2011 covers a period were the tone of reporting changed dramatically over that period.  Prior to the MtGox hackcrash a lot of the media attention was positive (May).  Planet Money did a nice podcast on bitcoin, which was really good.  After the hackcrash, there was an enormous amount of negative media attention (July).

My sense now is that lots of reporters are taking it even more seriously than before the hackcrash, but at the same time I think a lot of the public is pretty dismissive of it.  I think the response after the hackcrash badly damaged bitcoin's reputation for most people.  They saw the reports, and came away thinking, "Ok, so that bitcoin thing is over".  A lot of people probably don't even bother with news about it since then.  It's just noise.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Luno (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:04:57 PM

Thank you guys, that was what I was speculating about. That the media is getting more informed and that this can be seen as an image of general knowledge level about Bitcoin in the population.
beckspace

Activity: 931
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:33:40 PM

My sense now is that lots of reporters are taking it even more seriously than before the hackcrash, but at the same time I think a lot of the public is pretty dismissive of it.  I think the response after the hackcrash badly damaged bitcoin's reputation for most people.  They saw the reports, and came away thinking, "Ok, so that bitcoin thing is over".  A lot of people probably don't even bother with news about it since then.  It's just noise.

True. Bitcoin has scars.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:40:05 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2012, 10:33:20 PM by proudhon

My sense now is that lots of reporters are taking it even more seriously than before the hackcrash, but at the same time I think a lot of the public is pretty dismissive of it.  I think the response after the hackcrash badly damaged bitcoin's reputation for most people.  They saw the reports, and came away thinking, "Ok, so that bitcoin thing is over".  A lot of people probably don't even bother with news about it since then.  It's just noise.

True. Bitcoin has scars.

Pretty deep ones, I think.  The positive side of that is that it gives the developers and the community more time and breathing room to work through some of the serious obstacles to wide scale adoption.  I think all the hacks and thefts bought bitcoin a good 5 years of fairly tepid adoption.  I don't anticipate a flood of investors/users sufficient to hold the price much above where it is now.  We could certainly see some spikes in the next few years that approach or possibly exceed the all time high, but I'm very skeptical that there will be enough money and use in the system to hold.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Largo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:43:50 PM

True. Bitcoin has scars.

That makes it just more sexy  Grin

proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:44:34 PM

TBH, It makes me a little nervous seeing all these fairly heavily trafficked sites adopt bitcoin, because I worry about a new flood of users who don't bother educating themselves on the risks, or, worse, site operators don't fully appreciate bitcoin's risks at this relatively early stage in its life, and, thus, usher in a new wave of people getting burned and prematurely turned off to something that's still very much experimental.

Luno (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 04:08:30 PM

Sensible point Proudhorn, But I think it's out of the community's hands to apply slight braking now and careless newbies will get burned like in: "I've just formatted my drive, are my college savings gone?".

We will also see another breed of scammers: "A Nigerian prince left me a piece of paper with half a Bitcoin code on it.The other part of it is in a safe with my drug lord cousin which I owe money."

We all know how media works and when it's fed up with Bitcoin glamour, it will start printing disaster stories.

But a warning is in it's place Proudhorn.. Points taken.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:04:36 PM

My sense now is that lots of reporters are taking it even more seriously than before the hackcrash, but at the same time I think a lot of the public is pretty dismissive of it.  I think the response after the hackcrash badly damaged bitcoin's reputation for most people.  They saw the reports, and came away thinking, "Ok, so that bitcoin thing is over".  A lot of people probably don't even bother with news about it since then.  It's just noise.

True. Bitcoin has scars.

Pretty deep ones, I think.  The positive side of that is that it gives the developers and the community more time and breathing room to work through some of the serious obstacles to wide scale adoption.  I think all the hacks and thefts bought bitcoin and good 5 years of fairly tepid adoption.  I don't anticipate a flood of investors/users sufficient to hold the price much above where it is now.  We could certainly see some spikes in the next few years that approach or possibly exceed the all time high, but I'm very skeptical that there will be enough money and use in the system to hold.

I think one of the deeper scars is the EFF's stance on it. 

We can add the Python Software Foundation to the list of those citing the EFF for not supporting Bitcoin.
(from Jesse Noller - one of the PSF directors)
Bitcoin Fans: Stop emailing me/tweeting me: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin … -> Risky for 501c3s.
Although...  it was naively and crudely spammed by Bitcoin fans from reddit - so that overenthusiasm is perhaps partly to blame! (embarrassing!)

Given that bitpay allows free transaction processing for 501c3s, without the need for the entity to touch bitcoins directly - this objection is pretty lame.

I'm not intending to open up yet another argument about EFF here - I understand why *they* choose not to accept it - but I think their published stance is taken as a more general reason for non-profits not to accept Bitcoin donations - so it's an ongoing thorn/scar on Bitcoin.
I don't think the EFF even understands the chilling effect they continue to have.
Sad for an organization that is otherwise so cognizant of issues around behavioural self-censorship.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:17:02 PM

dammit proudhon why must you be so pragmatic

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Luno (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:29:09 PM

talking about scars, thats how we got Bitcoin. EUR and USD needs to restore confidence also the following months!
greyscale

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 01:31:31 AM

EFF will come around eventually. The more mainstream sites start accepting bitcoin (wordpress, 4chan, internet archive), the more ridiculous EFF's stance becomes.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 07:19:33 AM

I think the response after the hackcrash badly damaged bitcoin's reputation for most people.  They saw the reports, and came away thinking, "Ok, so that bitcoin thing is over".  A lot of people probably don't even bother with news about it since then.  It's just noise.

That doesn't make sense.

"Ok so Bitcoin is done now"

Bitcoin news item
Bitcoin news item
Bitcoin news item
Bitcoin news item
Bitcoin news item
Bitcoin news item
Bitcoin news item

"Seeing Bitcoin in the headlines doesn't surprise or interest me since I know it is over"

Ok.....

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: