Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:32:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slinky Defies the Magical Force of Gravity  (Read 486 times)
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 12:13:18 AM

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:11:13 AM

Idiot. Slinkys (all springs actually, but this behaviour is more easily noticed with Slinkys) act this way because they are affected by the "magical" force of gravity. When a spring is supported at one end and the other end is allowed to dangle freely, the spring stretches due to the force of gravity pulling down the free end. The tension on the spring is exactly equal to the weight of the spring, ie, the spring's mass multiplied by gravitational acceleration.

When the support from a stretched spring is removed, the spring contracts. In accordance with Newton's second law, the rate of contraction is the force of tension divided by the spring's mass, which we can see from above is exactly the rate of gravitational acceleration. Hence the spring contracts at the exact same rate that it falls, creating the cool effect you see here.

For further proof that there's no defiance of natural laws going on, pay attention to the spring's centre of mass and note that its downward motion is identical to that of a dropped brick.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:32:32 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2015, 12:53:48 PM by notbatman

Of course there's no defiance of natural laws going on here, the title clearly states that it's the magical force of gravity that's being defied.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:44:13 AM

Magical or not, gravity is not being defied. If you think it is, why not glue a pair of Slinkys to your shoes and jump off a building? You might want to go with a small building, in case you're wrong. Post results.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 08:02:28 AM

Slinky Parkour LOL.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 12:02:12 PM

That is kind of dumb.
The act of stretching a slinky imparts energy which is then released on launch.
Just like a roller coaster at the top of a peak..
The coaster has more energy at the top of the hill than the bottom.

We'd see the same thing as shooting a stretched out elastic band directly at the ground.
No different than throwing a ball at the ground vs letting one drop.

Nothing defy's gravity and there is actually shitloads of tangible theories as to what it even is.
The notion it's a "fundamental force" is pretty much out the window these days.
Research Gravitons Wink

I seen a NASA lab do an experiment on TV dropping a huge feather and a bowling ball..
Both hit the ground precisely at the same time on high def video while watching in super slow mo.
The test was performed in a giant vacuum chamber that you could fit the Space Shuttle into.
It was created in like the 60's i think.. specially created with concrete and aluminum etc.
It's sole purpose was to put space ships into an airless sealed environment to simulate space.
The structure is mind blowing !

FUD first & ask questions later™
notbatman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:15:23 PM

Idiot. ...

... dumb.

Pages: [1]
  Print