Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:20:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile on Wikipedia...  (Read 9902 times)
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 04:57:09 PM

There's a Reddit thread about this... thought you guys would enjoy  Grin

Bitcoin tops the Wikipedia list of highest valued currency unit. This is actually a meaningless/arbitrary indicator, as it's only a matter of notation, but still this makes me smile Smiley What's far more important is the relative change in these values over time, and Bitcoin, in just four years, has gone from being worth far less than a penny to now over $13 USD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-valued_currency_unit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:06:39 PM

My comment:

I think the better tactical move would be to create a new paragraph discussing "Other Currencies", including Bitcoin, along with well sourced references.

Bitcoin has - as a matter of fact - been the highest valued currency in the world for about 12 months or so.
However, adding Bitcoin to the top of the list (with no references) is pretty much begging for deletion.

[Disclaimer: I am not a Wikipedian.]
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:12:35 PM

I don't know anything about editing Wikipedia... if it should have a "reference" then yes please someone put one. But absolutely it's legitimate to be in the table of currencies. The table doesn't say "only government currencies."

bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 05:16:57 PM

However, adding Bitcoin to the top of the list (with no references) is pretty much begging for deletion.
Well then add a reference to Mt. Gox. It definitely should be at the top of the list though. Although in terms of how large the Bitcoin economy is, many other currencies are much larger and have a much larger number of units in circulation. Of course you might say bitcoin has is divisible down to many small units, but you must keep in mind that the important thing is the value of those units proportionate to the number in circulation.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:21:10 PM

I love the "no central authority" thing

hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:31:34 PM

Yeah me too  Grin

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:32:08 PM

Do you think "Stateless" sounds better or worse? Or "Stateless Protocol?"

I like "Stateless Protocol." Sounds like Skynet.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:35:49 PM

No.  I think stateless is largely a useless term to many people.  It could just mean that whatever it is that is stateless is still under federal guidance/regulation/authority.  Or a stateless government might mean that there are no state-like subdivisions within the governmental hierarchy.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:39:58 PM

. . . But absolutely it's legitimate to be in the table of currencies . . .
Most here would agree with you that Bitcoin is a currency, but there may be room for discussion as to what the "base" unit is and what the relative value is of that base unit.

If the "Satoshi" (the smallest integer unit of represented value in a transaction) is considered the base unit, then calling 1 BTC a "currency unit" would be like calling a Franklin (U.S. $100 bill) a "currency unit".  They are both just names for a multiple of the base unit.

If the "Satoshi" is the "currency unit", then it doesn't belong on that list. Yet.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:41:59 PM

I'm fine with "no central authority", i was really saying that i love it.

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 05:42:11 PM

No, it simply sounds like HTTP (to a dev's ear).

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:43:30 PM

Most here would agree with you that Bitcoin is a currency, but there may be room for discussion as to what the "base" unit is and what the relative value is of that base unit.

If the "Satoshi" (the smallest integer unit of represented value in a transaction) is considered the base unit, then calling 1 BTC a "currency unit" would be like calling a Franklin (U.S. $100 bill) a "currency unit".  They are both just names for a multiple of the base unit.

If the "Satoshi" is the "currency unit", then it doesn't belong on that list.

And that's exactly why it is a meaningless list, as Evorhees mentioned above.  We're only playing along with the meaninglessness of it.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:58:21 PM

No, it simply sounds like HTTP (to a dev's ear).
Yeah, it was supposed to be a play on words.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 05:59:09 PM

Yeah me too  Grin

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:03:04 PM

If the "Satoshi" is the "currency unit", then it doesn't belong on that list. Yet.

The base unit of a dollar is a cent, but the chart doesn't utilize that unit. It is listing the nominal unit of the currency. Bitcoin may be divisible to eight decimal places, but 1 btc is the standard currency unit, just as 1 usd.
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:15:14 PM

yeah. thats so grrrrrr.  Cool

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
klaus
Legendary

Activity: 1932

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:22:54 PM

hey. some ashole put Cosbycoin on top. what a nonsense.

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3103/4vx6o43g_gif.htm

bitmessage:BM-2D9c1oAbkVo96zDhTZ2jV6RXzQ9VG3A6f1​
threema:HXUAMT96
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:23:30 PM

The base unit of a dollar is a cent, but the chart doesn't utilize that unit. It is listing the nominal unit of the currency. Bitcoin may be divisible to eight decimal places, but 1 btc is the standard currency unit, just as 1 usd.
As I said, I think there is room for discussion on that.  Perhaps the Satoshi is the nominal unit, and we simply use the "Bitcoin" nickname for ease of use when we are dealing with exceptionally large quantities.  If inflation drives prices up until every thing we buy costs over 1000 USD, and we all start talking in terms of "grand", ("Sure, you can have a diet coke, that'll be 3.5 grand.") does that make the "grand" the nominal unit?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:25:17 PM

hey. some ashole put Cosbycoin on top. what a nonsense.

http://s14.directupload.net/file/d/3103/4vx6o43g_gif.htm
+1  Smiley
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 06:26:49 PM

Speaking of Wikipedia, they have improved their tune in response to inquiries about Bitcoin donation, at least as of lately.  As a prior fiat donor to Wikipedia, I received an e-mail solicitation asking me to donate again.  Seeing it as an invitation to reply, I did.  Here's how it went.
redacted, Dec 11 13:26 (PST):
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your email and for your suggestion. We are aware of bitcoin, and we will continue to monitor it with interest. Thanks again for taking the time to email us.
Sincerely,
redacted
Donor Services Manager
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
https://wikimediafoundation.org
Support us: https://donate.wikimedia.org

Mike Caldwell, Nov 29 11:06 (PST):
I will donate again when the Foundation starts accepting Bitcoin payments. I see Wikimedia's acceptance of Saudi riyals, but not Bitcoin, on the grounds that riyals are backed by "full faith and credit of an issuing government" and Bitcoins are not, as a sore inconsistency with the Foundation's stated mission and goals.
Mike

Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 29, 2012, at 11:26 AM, "Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia" < donate@wikimedia.org > wrote:
Dear Mike,
At Wikipedia we only ask for donations during our year-end fundraiser. That's our tradition. We don't think having your email address is a license to spam. We send two reminders per year. This is your first. Donate today, and we won't send you the second. ;-)
If everyone reading this email repeated their previous donation, our fundraiser would be done today. Please help us forget about fundraising and get back to improving Wikipedia.

---pruned the solicitation---

Thanks,
Jimmy Wales
Wikipedia Founder

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: