Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:19:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Meanwhile on Wikipedia...  (Read 9902 times)
Ivica

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 19e3fc

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:12:47 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Highest-valued_currency_unit#Bitcoin
According to latest discussion, it should be fine to have Bitcoin listed, as soon as it gets ISO code.
And it qualifies any other requirement someone makes up in future in order to have Bitcoin not listed...

19e3fcoLTu8YVFAU1NywJ88YnHH5kF8ScP - donations are welcome.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:15:16 PM

According to latest discussion, it should be fine to have Bitcoin listed, as soon as it gets ISO code.

Well, now we know the next step we need to accomplish! QUICK! Someone get me the phone number for the ISO!

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Ivica

Activity: 218

Firstbits: 19e3fc

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:19:07 PM

Well, now we know the next step we need to accomplish! QUICK! Someone get me the phone number for the ISO!

A request has been made at the organization maintaining the currency codes in the ISO 4217 standard to support BTC. This has been declined mainly on bases that organizations such as Reuters and Bloomberg are not reporting on the Bitcoin currency. when this changes a request can be resubmitted.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol

Maybe someday. Smiley
edit: fixed  Grin

19e3fcoLTu8YVFAU1NywJ88YnHH5kF8ScP - donations are welcome.
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 10:21:24 PM

Maybe someday. Smiley
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 11:25:07 PM

Both Bloomberg and Reuters have had coverage on Bitcoin... Seems it's just a non-reason to tell us to piss off, i wonder who's behind that... I bet they got nice money for refusing it for whatever made up reason.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 11:27:59 PM

Both Bloomberg and Reuters have had coverage on Bitcoin... Seems it's just a non-reason to tell us to piss off, i wonder who's behind that... I bet they got nice money for refusing it for whatever made up reason.

I think reporting it in an "official" capacity on some market or exchange or other.  I bet they got nothin' for refusin' it.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 11:30:57 PM

They mean along with all the other currencies in showing live ticker prices, etc.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 11:37:20 PM

There's a Reddit thread about this... thought you guys would enjoy  Grin

Bitcoin tops the Wikipedia list of highest valued currency unit. This is actually a meaningless/arbitrary indicator, as it's only a matter of notation, but still this makes me smile Smiley What's far more important is the relative change in these values over time, and Bitcoin, in just four years, has gone from being worth far less than a penny to now over $13 USD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest-valued_currency_unit

I should point out, that since this thread has started, someone edited that page to revert to June 10th, 2012, and Bitcoin is not represented at all.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 11:45:00 PM

Someone should edit it back.
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 01:44:18 AM

I dont like "internet" as a name to define 0.01 BTC !
This does'nt fit at all in my mind !
Bitcents seems some way familliar, but dont like the link with the dollar too.. other appelation would be better in my opinion !
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 01:51:04 AM

Bitcents seems some way familliar, but dont like the link with the dollar too.. other appelation would be better in my opinion !

I agree.  Internets doesn't make much sense or appeal to anyone but the geeky crowd.

millibits makes the most sense to me, but I think a more original name (bitcoins, satoshis) would make more sense.

On a related subject, can I call 8 Bitcoins, Bytecoins?  Cheesy
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 03:38:17 AM

On a related subject, can I call 8 Bitcoins, Bytecoins?  Cheesy

Word!
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 04:02:30 AM

Internet as a formal name for the unit... terrible idea.

Internet as an insider casual name for the unit... no problem.

.01 btc should be called bitcents.  And 0.001 btc should be millibit, which is already widely used.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 04:59:25 AM

The words "cent" and "mill" are not linked to dollars or even any other currency for that matter. They are the standard terms (from Latin) for a hundredth-part and a thouandth-part, respectively, as anyone familiar with the metric system should know. For example, in gemology a cent is one hundredth of a carat, and in music a cent is one hundredth of a semitone. As far as currencies go, Wikipedia lists 50 different currencies that all use the word "cent" (or a derivative of the word) to refer to a hundredth-part unit of that currency. Room for one more?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 05:09:45 AM

And it qualifies any other requirement someone makes up in future in order to have Bitcoin not listed...
What a load of shit. The Cuba "CUC" doesn't appear to have an ISO code either, yet it remains on the list! Hmmm....

EDIT: and this is why even if Wikipedia start accepting BTC donations I still wont donate to them, because they are so god damn bias against bitcoin. First with the ponzi scheme thing and now this crap. Screw them and their little dog. They don't deserve our support.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 05:30:53 AM

Bitcoin is already difficult for non-techies to grasp, let's not add to the confusion by using a word already in very widespread use with very precise meaning (=Internet).  Grandmas and grandmas won't get the joke.

I think everyone of us, when writing here or anywhere else, calls 0.5 BTC "0.5 BTC", so therefore it should just say 0.5 BTC on the coin.  Simple as that!

I agree, I think the coin should say "0.5 Bitcoin"

Coins don't normally have decimals on them. How about "½ Bitcoin"?

I know this because Tyler knows this.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 05:46:54 AM

Internet as a formal name for the unit... terrible idea.

Internet as an insider casual name for the unit... no problem.

.01 btc should be called bitcents.  And 0.001 btc should be millibit, which is already widely used.

I don't think I mean to propose it as a formal name... just a colloquial one.  Nor to replace bitcents.  The same way a "grand" is used to describe $1000, and not a kilodollar.

To the uninitiated, hearing that there is an internet currency called "internets" makes it sound like, well, the one official currency of the internet.

Will I really make coins that say "50 internets"?  Probably not, unless it's a joke (but still probably not, because I'm not into spending $2500 on a joke).  Unless of course it somehow took off on its own, which would be totally outside my control.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 06:29:04 AM

What a load of shit. The Cuba "CUC" doesn't appear to have an ISO code either, yet it remains on the list!

Ha, so the new rule caused the CUC to get yanked, then reverted with the new rule moving to the Talk page and the CUC put back in.

Of course, I don't think anyone expected this to not ruffle a few feathers.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2012, 06:50:00 AM

What a load of shit. The Cuba "CUC" doesn't appear to have an ISO code either, yet it remains on the list!

Ha, so the new rule caused the CUC to get yanked, then reverted with the new rule moving to the Talk page and the CUC put back in.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but the CUC was there before, during and after Bitcoin was added.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 07:16:43 AM
Last edit: December 14, 2012, 08:27:58 AM by Zangelbert Bingledack

Bitcoin is a viral phenomenon, and reddit (and 4chan) is the perfect place for a viral phenomenon to blast off. But it needs to fit into the culture, and that's where the name "internets" comes in. Now to officially call them "internets" would throw cold water on the meme; it should never look official or like it was a deliberate attempt to engineering a meme. This is simply a prediction that this meme could take off, also because eventually Bitcoin will be as beloved to the reddit community as the internet itself. It is the currency of the internet, and like the internet it is a phenomenon of natural order, growing like an intrusive vine whose tendrils inexorably burrow into establishment structures and reduce them to wreckage.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: