Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:56:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin owner passed away  (Read 1329 times)
MichelleR (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 02:51:36 PM

I have a client who has passed away.  His Bitcoin investment was $10,000.  How do I liquidate his account for his surviving family?
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 02:55:47 PM

I have a client who has passed away.  His Bitcoin investment was $10,000.  How do I liquidate his account for his surviving family?

You cant. There is no account, either the person left notes how to recover the BTC (passwords, how to operate the wallet they used) or they are lost forever.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 03:12:01 PM

Make sure nobody sells or reformats his computer{s}

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:28:19 PM

This is one of the many hiccups and flaws that Bitcoin has and many are unwilling to admit. Another example is that someone non tech savvy can actually lose that amount in a second if they do a simple mistake or forgot a password. If Bitcoin wants to move forward it will need to be more user friendly, offer refunds and make things much more simple for the common user.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

This is one of the many hiccups and flaws that Bitcoin has and many are unwilling to admit. Another example is that someone non tech savvy can actually lose that amount in a second if they do a simple mistake or forgot a password. If Bitcoin wants to move forward it will need to be more user friendly, offer refunds and make things much more simple for the common user.

bitcoin will never work as a centralized payment unless people are willing to store their coins on something like coinbase in the future, with fully insurance and everything that fiat as and basically you can just go ahead and use fiat at that point

you must be responsible of your funds with bitcoin, i know that many don't want this and this si partially the reason for the slow adoption
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4668

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:45:39 PM

That depends on the specifics of how he stored his bitcoins and what access he left for you.

Was it stored in an account with a service such as Coinbase?
Was it stored on a computer in a wallet, and if so do you know which software he used?
Was it stored as a private key written on a piece of paper?
Did he use any password based encryption?
How did you come to know about the bitcoins?
Do you already have access to the bitcoins and are just asking how to convert it to local currency?

You are welcome to send me a private message if you wish to discuss this privately.
Duomo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 04:05:25 PM

I have a client who has passed away.  His Bitcoin investment was $10,000.  How do I liquidate his account for his surviving family?

This is such a complicated question regarding you trying to liquidate this asset. Here are a few things to consider from a financial and legal perspective.
1. Do you have access to the Bitcoins ?
 - Whether you can access the "wallet" that contains the bitcoins is the determinant of whether you can liquify the assets or not

If you cannot gain access to the wallet or able to access the coins
 - you will never be able to liquify these coins, it is basically just sitting money you can't never access.

If you can gain access of the wallet
- You need understand
*When you acquired the bitcoin
*The price you acquired the bitcoin for
*The current price of Bitcoin
*The income of individual
 - Capital gains taxes varies from 15-20% depending on income bracket.

Bitcoin is taxed as property, so you will have to pay capital gains tax if the value of the bitcoins increased.
- It seems this individual has been holding on these coins for quite a while, so there is no way getting around paying taxes
- The value of those coins could be worth more then $10,000
- If you have a specific number of coins, that would be better information.
smiletyson

Activity: 661
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 04:07:25 PM

As far as I remember there was a father who lost his son, claimed passed away son's bitcoins with the help of this forum.
You need to give us more details about bitcoin storage so we can help you.
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:34:21 PM

Simple, give the private key(s) to the surviving family.  Smiley

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
mtnsaa
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:38:49 PM

bitcoin will never work as a centralized payment unless people are willing to store their coins on something like coinbase in the future, with fully insurance and everything that fiat as and basically you can just go ahead and use fiat at that point

you must be responsible of your funds with bitcoin, i know that many don't want this and this si partially the reason for the slow adoption

Well that's just how people now trust banks instead of hiding their cash under the mattress if you ask me. The problem is that Coinbase and services like this should be insured and regulated, Bitcoin so far is a long way from that and I'm not sure if that would ever happen.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 08:14:07 PM

I agree that Bitcoin needs much improvement in terms of user friendliness. This will take us a few more years imo.
But regarding refunds people have to learn that Bitcoin is not a bank, remember no central authority.
Therefore everybody is himself responsible to safe and protect his coins.
If you don't or can't do that, then go with Coinbase. But please then do not complain about their crazy KYC/AML and obstrusive questions where and from which person you got your coins from for instance.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 08:53:21 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2015, 09:03:47 PM by tyz

As people already wrote before, there is no way to get access to the Bitcoins when the owner did not leave the password or private keys. This is why i printed my private keys and put a short introduction on it (and how valuble this stuff is or could be in the furture Wink) if i should pass away suddenly.

I have a client who has passed away.  His Bitcoin investment was $10,000.  How do I liquidate his account for his surviving family?
mtnsaa
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 08:57:59 PM

I agree that Bitcoin needs much improvement in terms of user friendliness. This will take us a few more years imo.
But regarding refunds people have to learn that Bitcoin is not a bank, remember no central authority.
Therefore everybody is himself responsible to safe and protect his coins.
If you don't or can't do that, then go with Coinbase. But please then do not complain about their crazy KYC/AML and obstrusive questions where and from which person you got your coins from for instance.

I agree refunds are harder to implement than other improvements. And perhaps it's not really needed if Bitcoin is actually adopted by big companies and has the same regulations as regular currency. I'm not very familiar with all Bitcoin wallets but maybe there could be a time limit to "undo" a transaction if you don't mind waiting a little bit. Kinda like Gmail "undo" feature, hehe.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 09:49:23 PM

You cant. There is no account, either the person left notes how to recover the BTC (passwords, how to operate the wallet they used) or they are lost forever.
Well actually a private key would be enough to recover lost coins. Best that he would leave notes, but many people don't. So search for private key.
Good luck.
sillug

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 09:49:54 PM

You need the private key to access his funds...
CoinBoerse.com

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 09:53:37 PM

That is the only thing about bitcoin, it's hard to claim it if youre not the owner for things like this!
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1580

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 10:00:48 PM

As the others said, you'd need to provide more details to get any advice.

How do you actually know he owned $10,000 in bitcoins?

ps. Do not post private key to anyone who offers you an advice. If you're not sure what the private key is - do not send any long streak of numbers/digits. You could send public bitcoin address, but I don't think anyone will necessarily need it to help you out.

ps2. Do not try to steal BTC from the family, if you're not familiar with Bitcoin, you'll be easily traced. Just saying.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
Loimu

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 07:52:13 AM

Simple, give the private key(s) to the surviving family.  Smiley

This. Only correct answer. If he was stupid enough to invest $10k in bitcoin WITHOUT backing up his private keys or making some kind of arrangements for situations like this then you're shit out of luck. But again, it's not bitcoins fault - it's the users. It's like stashing cash somewhere and never telling anyone else where they are.

foxkyu

Activity: 938

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:00:20 PM

If you can access his private key then you can help his family for surviving.

Otherwise you can't do anything.
CardedIT

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 01:49:50 AM

If he didnt write password down - this coins are lost forever.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: