Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:25:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does a signed message work?  (Read 535 times)
ReigningPigs (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:51:23 PM

I see a lot of members on the forums signing messages and signing their BTC addresses what does it mean and how does it work?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 05:52:53 PM

Signing messages proves that the message you signed was not altered in any way and it proves that you own the private key to the public key to signed the message.

Here is a guide on how to sign messages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 09:52:33 PM

This guide above pretty much says it all, but i will add that signing works through PGP encryption. You could learn about that because u can sign message without bitcoin involvement at all.
relq

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:46:01 AM

I see a lot of members on the forums signing messages and signing their BTC addresses what does it mean and how does it work?

Signing messages used for proves that it's your own. not anyone else that hack or not have your id. it's important because sign message same like password.
3Coins

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:47:38 AM

This guide above pretty much says it all, but i will add that signing works through PGP encryption. You could learn about that because u can sign message without bitcoin involvement at all.
Can you post a link where PGP encryption is being discussed like the thread created by Shorena

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 04:18:18 PM

Can you post a link where PGP encryption is being discussed like the thread created by Shorena

There is no such thread yet. I was asked several times to create something similar for PGP, but I have not done anything yet. Maybe velkro wants to create a PGP how to? I dont know.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
ReigningPigs (OP)

Activity: 31

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 09:45:18 PM

Signing messages proves that the message you signed was not altered in any way and it proves that you own the private key to the public key to signed the message.

Here is a guide on how to sign messages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0

If you sign your Bitcoin address will you be exposing your private key?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 09:59:22 PM

No. You will expose your public key, but that is already meant to be exposed (hence the public). The public key is also exposed when transactions are signed (transactions are signed in the exact same way that messages are signed).

tommypug

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:30:34 PM

No. You will expose your public key, but that is already meant to be exposed (hence the public). The public key is also exposed when transactions are signed (transactions are signed in the exact same way that messages are signed).

Was just about to ask that, thanks for the info.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: