Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:42:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone design a hardware wallet that looks like a generic USB?  (Read 974 times)
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 02:04:59 AM

hardware wallets, in general are better than just using an .exe on your desktop.. but their still not 100% secure against man in middle..
id say 99% better than just having funds on blockchain.info.. and 50% better than using bitcoin-core / multibit alone..
Hardware wallets that use out-of-band communication (a display and buttons on the wallet itself) are protected against man in the middle. The only 2 examples of which I am aware are the Trezor or the soon-to-be-released Ledger Blue.

Also consider Case Wallet and KeepKey.

ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:36:29 AM

I don't understand the point of a USB wallet.

Edit: never mind I get it. Good idea.
That's is really a nice idea, its appreciating. If some one make the hardware wallet like a generic USB then it will look great and will feel like secured.  Those who thinks about insecurity in the current degital Wallet.
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 07:27:08 PM

Also consider Case Wallet and KeepKey.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of those, so I watched their videos and read their FAQ.

The KeepKey seems very similar in operation to the Trezor. The differences are that it is much bigger physically, and has a bigger display; It is not supported on mobile devices (e.g. Android, but I suppose if you run Windows or Linux on mobile device that would work); It also seems to cost more that the Trezor ($239 from Amazon.com, but it probably is shipped much faster).

The Case Wallet has the advantage of being self-contained, meaning no connection to a computer or mobile device is needed. However, it also requires some trust, because it uses a 2-of-3 key, where one key is stored on the company's server. (The 3rd key is recommended to be kept with Third Key Solutions, a 3rd party, but you could also generate and secure it yourself.) I'd be a little worried about the "lifetime" GSM chip, or the fingerprint access to their server. The big problem is the big "SOLD OUT" button at the top of their web site. A TechCrunch review says the price is $199, but who knows what it will be if/when they get more in stock. Also, the name of their product makes it difficult to find in a web search.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: