Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:03:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Enhanced Firmware Mod] Dragon Bitcoin Miner ALL (1T,1.5T,2T) versions  (Read 14693 times)
mxnsch (OP)

Activity: 471
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:26:26 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2016, 10:19:40 AM by mxnsch

TL;DR
This post is about an image of the latest firmware of the well known Dragon 1T / 1.5T / 2T miner with my enhancements.
---------

If you have any issues, disable voltage and clock tweaks (see second post) and / or try with one of the stock firmwares first. They are linked below. Please report back any issues!

I did a little tweaks here and there after getting my hands on a Dragon Miner 1T recently. As there are still people looking for the firmware on this board, i created an (imho clearly!) enhanced image of the latest firmware of the Dragon 1T (and higher hashing) miner.

Firmware Changes
The firmware was upgraded with great care to make sure everything is running smooth.

Main features
  • Voltage and Blade Clock can now modified on ALL hardware revisions (via SSH)
  • Optional Stratum-proxy included!
  • All relevant Security Patches have been applied
  • Base Distribution is now Raspbian with important components from "jessie"
  • Web interface was completely refurbished and is now password protected and more mobile / tablet friendly
  • Upgrader miner.php from https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer.git
  • Miner-Jobs (cgminer) and Hashrate are monitored via "cron" and are restarted automatically if required
  • SSH Access configured
  • Logs are rotated to ensure disk does not run out of space
  • Added a link to this thread as reference to the landing page
  • Activated modest overclocking for RPi
  • Properly configured LOCALES (en_US.UTF-8)
  • Filesystem cleanup and reduction to fit SD cards with at least 7.7GB
  • Removed Chinese and Russian language interfaces
  • Removed useless info.php file
  • ... and the cgminer version from the 2TH image (works for all Draon Miners)

Original Base firmwares (for troubleshooting or if you want to diff for some reason):

Credentials
  • The preconfigured IP is 192.168.1.254 with a Gateway of 192.168.1.1 OR provided via DHCP (see download options).
  • SSH login into the Raspberry with "pi" as username and "raspberry" as password.
  • The username of all password protected pages is "admin" and the password is empty.
  • You can change all relevant parameters via web frontend or by SSHing to the Miner / RPi.

Screenshots
Refurbished Web UI:

Login Dialog:

Startup script:

Voltage and Clock settings:

New landing page:

Stratum Proxy interface:

Established SSH access:

cgminer in process list:

Donations
There is absolutely no auto donation or hashing code in this image.

I am working as Senior Linux / Security Consultant and enjoy tweaking miners as hobby for almost three years now. If you want to donate some hashing, just let the miner run with my preconfigured workers for a little while or use the address from my signature.

Questions
Feel free to ping me with any questions.

DOWNLOAD
Mirror 1: Firmware preconfigured with IP 192.168.1.1.254 | Mirror 2: Firmware preconfigured with IP 192.168.1.1.254
Mirror 1: Firmware preconfigured with DHCP | Mirror 2: Firmware preconfigured with DHCP

SHA1(dragon_miner_mxnschmod_firmwarev1.2_20160108_ip254.rar)= 5de83e14ced8aa3326d2046a5d5b4a1b95d30a03
SHA1(dragon_miner_mxnschmod_firmwarev1.2_20160108_DHCP.rar)= 1b2fdf0e215c8b47e81925274cde4a8484640009

██  ███  nope ██  ███

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 11:39:51 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2016, 03:31:22 PM by mxnsch

Dragon Miner 1T Firmware Mod README

Requirements
To get started with the new firmware you need a SD Card, size at least 7.7 GB or bigger.

Hint: It is best to format your SD card before copying the files onto it.

Firmware Download and Setup
  • 1) Download the firmware from one of the Mirrors in the first post
  • 2) Insert the SD card in a computer with an SD card reader
  • 3) Extract the *.img file from the downloaded rar archive
  • 4) Flash the image to the SD card (Guides for Linux, Windows and OS X here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/)
  • 5) Power down your Miner if not already done so
  • 5) When this process has finished, safely remove the SD card and insert it into your Miners Raspberry Pi unit
  • 6) Power on your Miner and wait a minute until the SSH and web services start
  • 7) Login to the web interface via http://192.168.1.254 OR via it's DHCP assigned address at http://$IP

You can now change Pool + Worker settings and also IP address, Gateway and DNS if needed.
Press the "Ok" Button to activate your changes and reboot to apply them automatically.

There is a small bug that might prevent cgminer from starting if not all three pool fields are populated. Make sure you fill all entries for the moment.

Voltage and Clock Tuning
The image supports voltage and blade clock tuning for all Miner versions (that i am aware of). To change these settings, SSH into the Miner and modify the file /var/config/extraopts. Modify the variables "a1vol" and "a1clock" only!

Restart your Miner with
Code:
shutdown -r now
to apply these settings automatically.

Code:
# Those settings are read and applied additionally
# Do not change if you have to ask what this means
#
# max overclock and voltage
# a1vol=890
# a1clock=1100
#
# max underclock and voltage
# a1vol=600
# a1clock=700
#
export a1vol=650
export a1clock=1000

Extranonce support via stratum-proxy
The image supports stratum-proxy optionally. The proxy needs to be enables and pool settings need to be adjusted, too.

Howto enable and configure stratum-proxy

1.) Edit your pool info in /opt/stratum-proxy/stratum-proxy.conf (this is a partial snippet only). Of course, the pool must support extranonce, too!

Example:
 "pools" : [ {
    "name" : "f2pool",
    "host" : "stratum+tcp://stratum.f2pool.com:3333",
    "user" : "mxnsch.worker17",
    "password" : "x",
    "enableExtranonceSubscribe" : true,
    "appendWorkerNames" : false,
    "workerNameSeparator" : ".",
    "useWorkerPassword" : false,
    "weight" : 9,
    "isEnabled": true
  }, {
    "name" : "Antpool2",
    "host" : "stratum+tcp://stratum.f2pool.com:3333",
    "user" : "mxnsch.worker28",
    "weight" : 9,
  }, {  
    "name" : "Antpool1",
    "host" : "stratum+tcp://stratum.antpool.com:443",
    "user" : "mxnsch.worker38",
    "weight" : 1,
  } ]

2.) SSH into the miner and edit the file /etc/rc.local.real and remove the hashes (#) in front of the two relevant lines. Restart your Miner with
Code:
shutdown -r now
    to apply these settings automatically. You can access the stratum proxy web interface at
http://192.168.1.254 OR via it's DHCP assigned address at http://$IP[/li][/list]

3.) Last but not least, you must change your pool settings to point cgminer to the local stratum-proxy. The defaults are 127.0.0.1 and port 3333. Restart your Miner with
Code:
shutdown -r now
to apply these settings automatically.

You are DONE! ;-)

Troubleshooting
The default login for is username "pi" with the password "raspberry". Enter "sudo -s" for full root permissions.
Given a working network connection, the cgminer jobs will be started automatically. If it does not work for some reason, login via SSH and check the output of "/var/www/run.sh". A good starting point is also the process output list. Run the command with
Code:
ps auxwww
as root to see all running processes. cgminer and stratum-proxy (if running) should be clearly visible.

██  ███  nope ██  ███
cero9

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 07:26:57 PM

Thank you!
I will get mine in a week, I'll definitely try this firmware.

Is there some kind of "hidden donation"? Something like 15min/day of mining in your pool?
I'm asking because a RasPi firmware made for bitcoin mining does this, and I've read that this is something "hidden"
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 08:20:11 PM

Thank you!

Is there some kind of "hidden donation"? Something like 15min/day of mining in your pool?
I'm asking because a RasPi firmware made for bitcoin mining does this, and I've read that this is something "hidden"
That's a good question, thanks for bringing it up! Will add my answer to this thread.

The image does not contain anything like that. If you want donate a couple of Hashes, just let it hash for a while with my preconfigured example pool settings or use my signature address Smiley

As soon as you change the pool settings in the UI,  press the submit button and restart, your settings are applied and stay. Please take my word on it.

Additionally, everything is open source - nothing is obfuscated and everybody can take a look.

██  ███  nope ██  ███
cero9

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 09:43:33 PM

Thank you!

That's a good question, thanks for bringing it up! Will add my answer to this thread.

The image does not contain anything like that. If you want donate a couple of Hashes, just let it hash for a while with my preconfigured example pool settings or use my signature address Smiley

As soon as you change the pool settings in the UI,  press the submit button and restart, your settings are applied and stay. Please take my word on it.

Additionally, everything is open source - nothing is obfuscated and everybody can take a look.
Thanks for your answer.
I was not implying that, just wanted to be sure that, if you were using the said custom OS as base (which I don't know), you removed that thing.
But now I see you're using Raspbian as a base, so, great!
cero9

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:09:57 PM

Another question: does the small LCD screen work with this firmware? What does it show?
Thanks
bitofc

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 08:46:49 AM

Anyway to change the pre-configured IP?
If my gateway is 192.168.1.254, I would not be able to connect to it to change the ip address after flash this image.
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 09:02:52 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2015, 09:13:30 AM by mxnsch

Another question: does the small LCD screen work with this firmware? What does it show?
Thanks
This is the original, updated firmware (also using Raspbian, but way older!) with my enhancements, so i guess it is still this:

It did not test it since i have no such device, but considering this as feature request - i can probably make it show whatever you want in case it does not work. For me it was not interesting even if my devices had LCDs, because i tweaked the webui for this to be more tablet friendly  Wink

Just try it and get back to me with any questions if it does not work. It is probably a piece of cake to get it working, but i might need feedback from you to get the device ID that connects to the PI.

██  ███  nope ██  ███
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 09:12:41 AM

Anyway to change the pre-configured IP?
If my gateway is 192.168.1.254, I would not be able to connect to it to change the ip address after flash this image.
You can either hardcode the IP of your local computer to eg 192.168.1.2 and change it the IP after connecting to http://192.168.1.254. I will update the README with the following short instructions.

Mini How-To
  • 1 Disconnect router temporarily
  • 2 Log into Miner web interface at http://192.168.1.254
  • 3 Change Miner IP address
  • 4 Reboot Miner
  • 5 Re-connect your Router

If by all means you can't do it, i am happy to create a version with the desired network settings for you.

██  ███  nope ██  ███
nepaluz

Activity: 22

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 12:05:06 PM

Great work! I also have my gateway as 192.168.1.254 so would definitely vouch for an image with reversed assignments, i.e IP of 192.168.1.1 and gateway of 192.168.1.254 (that despite the notes above).
Once again, great work!
PS. What version of cgminer does this ship with?
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 12:16:57 PM

Great work! I also have my gateway as 192.168.1.254 so would definitely vouch for an image with reversed assignments, i.e IP of 192.168.1.1 and gateway of 192.168.1.254 (that despite the notes above).
Once again, great work!
PS. What version of cgminer does this ship with?
Ok, i will create and upload an ALTERNATIVE IP version tonight.

Included is the manufacturers Cgminer version (3.9) and it is not upgradeable without a decent amount of reverse engineering. It is a precompiled cgminer with a proprietary driver for the blades.

Definitely doable for me, but not worth the effort imho as
* the miner is running ultra stable with my settings
* i had zero problems with all pools tried so far

██  ███  nope ██  ███
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:44:45 PM

Any chance at voltage/frequency control? I have some old 2.3TH/s dragons that allow full control, and have been looking for an image to under-volt the 1 TH/s dragon as a space heater.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:57:15 PM

Any chance at voltage/frequency control? I have some old 2.3TH/s dragons that allow full control, and have been looking for an image to under-volt the 1 TH/s dragon as a space heater.
Yes, absolutely. I guess you are refering to the web Interface, are you? If you need it soonish, i can guide you through the necessary changes to the index.php file.

Otherwise, i already thought about a simple switch to change between economic/undervolt and performance. Which cgminer options do you need?

██  ███  nope ██  ███
segaklon1

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 09:21:45 AM

Hello, you can indicate whether this firmware is compatible with my old BITMINE COINGRAFT DESK 1TH/S.

thanks
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 09:53:36 AM

Hello, you can indicate whether this firmware is compatible with my old BITMINE COINGRAFT DESK 1TH/S.
As far as i know, those are clones/rebrands and should work. I need to verify to be sure about this.

Do you have shell access and can give me the full cgminer command line?

██  ███  nope ██  ███
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 10:05:43 AM

New version online, changes:
* Support for more blades
* Two download choices for different IP address settings

Happy holidays everyone!

██  ███  nope ██  ███
roderick112

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 03:46:28 PM

This looks epic man i do have 1 request can you make it support Extranonce subscription?
if you upload 1 that has it i will instantly try it!

TY for this version!

Regards Roderick
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 04:13:41 PM

This looks epic man i do have 1 request can you make it support Extranonce subscription?
I can not patch cgminer for stated reasons, but it should work via stratum proxy as far as i can read. Shall i include a certain Release version? Please provide any possible configuration you have in min and i will do my best.

██  ███  nope ██  ███
roderick112

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 08:03:40 PM

I can not patch cgminer for stated reasons, but it should work via stratum proxy as far as i can read. Shall i include a certain Release version? Please provide any possible configuration you have in min and i will do my best.

yhea sure if you can tell me how its done! i have no clue on how to sure give me a Release version. and what do you mean with [/quote]any possible configuration you have in min and i will do my best.[/quote]
regards Roderick
mxnsch (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 08:17:12 PM

yhea sure if you can tell me how its done! i have no clue on how to sure give me a Release version. and what do you mean with
any possible configuration you have in min and i will do my best.
It means: If you have a working setup or documentation  with stratum proxy, let me know  Wink

██  ███  nope ██  ███
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: