Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:00:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How could I explain easily to someone that know nothing about Bitcoin what it is ?  (Read 1567 times)
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:53:27 AM

How could I explain what Bitcoin is to someone that don't know about Bitcoin at all nor about computers in general ? The only way I have now is to say it's like PayPal but I don't like it that much Undecided. Anyone has an idea ?
arthurminton

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:53:39 PM

it is a real but virtual currency(just like WiFi we can't see it touch WiFi but it is there) not governed by any government and is used to make transactions on the internet.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6145

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:58:54 PM

Start with the important and basic stuff :

• Instant Transactions with zero/low fees
  • Decentralized system
  • It's annonymus
  • Your account can't be limited , frozen
  • You have full control over your money

Then make him watch this video which almost every bitcoiner saw it before : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2en3nHxA4

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dollarneed

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:07:03 PM

just saying, bitcoin is the simplest, easiest means of paying for things online, it's really simple than paypal.
maybe you could take a look to this thread
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1261106.msg13055413#msg13055413
there are so many great explanation about bitcoin
goodluck
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:10:00 PM

What's wrong with saying its like Paypal? You could start with "it is a payment system with its own currency".

If you say it is like PayPal, they don't under and why it's that good. Also, if they don't like PayPal they won't go to Bitcoin since I told them it was the same.

it is a real but virtual currency(just like WiFi we can't see it touch WiFi but it is there) not governed by any government and is used to make transactions on the internet.

A good point I think. Thank you I'll use it.

Start with the important and basic stuff :

• Instant Transactions with zero/low fees
  • Decentralized system
  • It's annonymus
  • Your account can't be limited , frozen
  • You have full control over your money

Then make him watch this video which almost every bitcoiner saw it before : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2en3nHxA4

Thank you, this was exactly what I was looking for. I think this way I'll be able to convert some people to Bitcoin Wink !

just saying, bitcoin is the simplest, easiest means of paying for things online, it's really simple than paypal.
maybe you could take a look to this thread
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1261106.msg13055413#msg13055413
there are so many great explanation about bitcoin
goodluck

I usually start by saying that's the simplest way, but I usually get : "It is so simple, why can't I buy with my PayPal, why not so many stores accept it ?" as a reply, so I'll use the arguments from the last post.
dollarneed

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:17:15 PM

goodluck

I usually start by saying that's the simplest way, but I usually get : "It is so simple, why can't I buy with my PayPal, why not so many stores accept it ?" as a reply, so I'll use the arguments from the last post.

oops i forgot something, "you dont need to upload your identity like paypal did" this is very good for those who want annonimity (pseudo actually) for their  transaction.
that's the point what i told to my friends who used paypal
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:28:14 PM

Just say this "it's a digital currency that you can use anytime & anywhere", that is usually what I say to someone whenever they ask about Bitcoin.

faucet used to be profitable
wadii33

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:33:11 PM

tell him first it's real money then he will listen to the rest like it's digital currency easy to earn can be used in different things and it will be more known as a payment systeme in the next years
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:48:03 PM

How could I explain what Bitcoin is to someone that don't know about Bitcoin at all nor about computers in general ? The only way I have now is to say it's like PayPal but I don't like it that much Undecided. Anyone has an idea ?

Bitcoin has nothing in common with Paypal. Who told this to you have no idea what bitcoin is. As for your question in which way you can explain what is bitcoin to someone who not only don't know it at all but even computer my answer it would be. Cannot explain. First he/she must know the computer. So your work will be more hard because first must explain to him/her what is the computer, must learn to it what is computer, then must learn what is internet. then try to use all the above. After the normal use of all above you can tell that bitcoin is a software which play the role of money in internet. As a money with it can be bought everything from them who sell something and accept it. After that, show it a bitcoin wallet (maybe even help to create one), show how to use various option within it (send the bitcoin firstly), show where can be bought bitcoin or how can earn some of those and at last show to him/her that exist an infinity of knowledge in internet about totally everything regarding bitcoin. It will be enough to do a simple search using the word bitcoin and will have only the difficulty to choice. Everyone of us has learned in this way about bitcoin. Maybe you can name Wikipedia as a good source to not confuse much him/her and that is enough you can do. The other remain to him/her.
yoona

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Live by your own rules

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 02:57:41 PM

maybe you can use my way in explaining bitcoin to people who did not know about bitcoin, I told them, "bitcoin it as your telephone token (top up), can be bought and sold, but also as the dollar, the price is going up and down"; D
Blind Legs Parker

Activity: 2002
Merit: 721

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 03:09:08 PM

If they have a smartphone and know how to use it it's easier. Just tell them that it's an alternate currency that only exists inside the phone (or the computer) and that you can't physically feel, but still it's there, it has value and it can buy stuff.
Tell them it's stored on a digital wallet inside the phone and that they have to protect it with a strong password.
Also, don't forget to insist on how innovative it is, how it can change the future and increase in value over time ;-)

Vous pouvez maintenant refermer ce topic et reprendre une activité normale. À ciao bonsoir.
Dmc123dmc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Time is the one thing you can't run from

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 03:18:32 PM

Show them the youtube video explaining it. Its explained in its simplest terms so it can't be beat.

██████████  ✔  PoSToken - First PoS Smart Contract Token - Get Your Free Tokens Now!
█     PoSToken    █  ✔  Free Airdrop ●  No-ICO  ●  100% Annual Interest First Year
██████████  ✔  ANN ●  WebSite  ●  Twitter  ●  Slack  ●  Whitepaper
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 03:40:30 PM

talk about the advantages, mainly, and you can say to them that those money are always your, like the one that you have under your pillow, but with the advantage that the value does appreciate in the future, not depreciate
ATguy

Activity: 423

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 03:41:15 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2015, 03:57:27 PM by ATguy

First is good to educate how fiat debt based fractional currency works - thats the toughtest part.

After this, Bitcoin really works the way your friend actually mistakelly thought fiat currency works - what a paradox your friend intuitively can understand how Bitcoin works (all satoshis can be used anytime, like real units of something), while so little understands how fiat really works (everytime bank make loan new money is created out of nothing and destroyed when repaying - inflation comes from the interest btw, and all units (dollars) cannot be used anytime because fiat works in fraction reserve - if you attempt to request withrawing all deposits from a bank (or even half of all deposits) - aka bank run, banks have to close and refuse doing wires as well - there dont exists all units (dollars) under fractional reserve)...

So the decision is using something real like gold and Bitcoins or fraction based fiat shit (literally).

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 03:55:56 PM

Most important is that you use easy language. Then most people are likely to understand what you are talking about. Just explain them the basic things when they don't know much about tech. If they have some experience you can possibly go even further by going a bit more in depth.
USB-S

Activity: 574

In XEM we trust

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 04:01:42 PM

First is good to educate how fiat debt based fractional currency works - thats the thoughest part.

After this, Bitcoin really works the way your friend actually mistakelly thought fiat currency works - what a paradox your friend intuitively can understand how Bitcoin works (all satoshis can be used anytime, like real units of something), while so little understands how fiat really works (everytime bank make loan new money is created out of nothing and destroyed when repaying - inflation comes from the interest btw, and all units (dollars) cannot be used anytime because fiat works in fraction reserve - if you attempt to request withrawing all deposits from a bank (or even half of all deposits) - aka bank run, banks have to close and refuse doing wires as well - there dont exists all units (dollars) under fractional reserve)...

So the decision is using something real like gold or Bitcoins or fraction based fiat shit (literally).
When explaining bitcoin to a new user, having using this method most likely won't work, just because the mind of a average human being doesn't think about that. It's a quite hard topic for anyone not interested in this subject to talk about. I've tried using this method, but I see, that their mind wonders off mid conversation, most likely because it's too much for them to process. I love to use simple terms, like it's a currency like euro or dollar, only thing is that it's scarce, with a limited supply. Also saying that it's already 420 times stronger than a dollar to make a point.

However most people don't like to talk about money. It's a really difficult topic for them to pick up for some reason so using the most simple terms where possible helps a lot.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:21:32 PM

Just say you can send it around the world like email.But instead of information you are sending magic internet money that can not be copied and doesn't need the participation of a bank. This way most people got a clue what Bitcoin is.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:33:01 PM

Just say you can send it around the world like email.But instead of information you are sending magic internet money that can not be copied and doesn't need the participation of a bank. This way most people got a clue what Bitcoin is.

I've never thought about the email. I think this is a good idea. Is the "magic internet money" a bit too big Cheesy ? I think that the average people, if you say them that it is not backed by any trusted financial organisation, will have fear for Bitcoin. Even if it quite oppressive, a bank guaranties that your money is "safe" and won't lose all his value of the Chinese government decide to block it in, not even in his country, but in China, a far country that has nothing to do with them for many.
smiletyson

Activity: 661
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:37:17 PM

weusecoins.com has very informative & simple explanation videos about bitcoin. You may refer to these videos. (There're  translations & subtitles for most languages).
Shinpako09
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 10:38:15 PM

I think theres no easy way when introducing bitcoin to someone. But telling them you can earn it using you mobile phone and you can buy some stuff in the internet or convert it into fiat would make him/her having an interest on it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: