Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:55:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the bitcoin network run entirely inside Tor?  (Read 753 times)
fredi173 (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 10:45:45 AM

If a government decides to block bitcoin can the miners and the clients exit via Tor network?

Going further... If all the governments decide to block the bitcoin network... can it run inside Tor entirely?

Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 12:23:07 PM

You can easily configure Bitcoin to connect though Tor (in Options -> Network, turn on "Connect through SOCKS proxy" - the default proxy settings are for a standard Tor installation, though you will need to change them if your Tor setup is non-standard). You can also run Bitcoin as a hidden service, though (I'm pretty sure) other Tor nodes won't be able to connect to you automatically - to connect to hidden Bitcoin services, you need to manually set up each hidden service you want to connect to.

The wiki says that "...the network won't work if everyone does this. BitCoin requires that some country is still free." though I have no idea why it won't work. It seems to me like it should (though it would require some effort set it up), but maybe I'm missing something obvious. Huh

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
leijurv

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 03:40:57 AM

I don't think so. Connecting to a node normally requires that node to have port 8333 forwarded to the bitcoin client, but in Tor you generally are assigned a port >32768 which can't be used for Bitcoin. Also, setting up a tor hidden service wouldn't work because peer discovery is locked into IPv4 and IPv6 which can't be used for a tor hidden service.

Firstbits 1Leijurv. Or, if you like cats, Firstbits 1Kittens and 1catcat as well. If you're a chemist, also 1Helium, 1Erbium, 1Copper, 1Cerium, and 1Nickel. If you like numbers, 123four, 12234,  12three.
Keybase and onename user: leijurv.
fractal5

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:43:48 AM

If a government decides to block bitcoin can the miners and the clients exit via Tor network?

Going further... If all the governments decide to block the bitcoin network... can it run inside Tor entirely?

It can probably be run through a VPN service, though I've never tried to do that.
jabulani

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:03:50 AM

Wouldn't that be dangerous with nods able to snoop transactions?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: