Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:56:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: script to start bitcoind  (Read 906 times)
crunck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

crunck

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 11:35:43 PM

I have my bitcoind on a dedicated server but every now and then I log into the server and find its not running, so i then have to restart it and wait for it to sync from where it stopped.

Is there a script I can add to my server that would automatically start bitcoind should it stop ?

Thanks guys and girls

Crunck

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 01:24:10 AM

I have my bitcoind on a dedicated server but every now and then I log into the server and find its not running, so i then have to restart it and wait for it to sync from where it stopped.

Is there a script I can add to my server that would automatically start bitcoind should it stop ?

Thanks guys and girls

Crunck

What OS?  Version?  ;-)

crunck (OP)
Legendary

crunck

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 01:42:56 AM

Thanks guys and girls

Crunck

What OS?  Version?  ;-)

Its on an ovh box running ubuntu but without the gui

Thanks

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Polyatomic

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:10:28 AM

but every now and then I log into the server and find its not running, so i then have to restart it and wait for it to sync from where it stopped.

Crunck
I wonder why bitcoind is doing that, It should just keep running. There may be something in the debug.log that
may explain  why bitcoind is crapping out.

Have a look in this directory https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/contrib/init. If your rig is using systemd
there is a unit there, so you can start bitcoind through systemctl. Also a couple other scripts for openrc and sysvinit.
check it out man!
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:20:32 AM

Thanks guys and girls

Crunck

What OS?  Version?  ;-)

Its on an ovh box running ubuntu but without the gui

Thanks

You could be hitting memory issues during the so-called stress tests.  Even 4GB can be too little. You can adjust various parameters to require more fees to limit this, btw.

As above, systemd is an option, there are others such as monit. These are more generic to monitor a particular process and restart it if it fails. 
crunck (OP)
Legendary

crunck

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 01:46:39 PM

I should have pointed it im sorry that there is also a few altcoins on the same server, its odd lets say I have 5 coins on the server 3 will go off and the other two will keep running, at a guess I think its the server.

The big issue is that I may not visit the server for days or even weeks and then when i do i have to restart bitcoind and wait an eternity for i to sync back up, so I wondered if there was something tha I could install that would detect it was off and restarted it ?

Im prob asking for too much here but thought I would ask

Many thanks for the replies guys its appreciated

Crunck

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 02:08:07 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2015, 02:20:49 PM by cr1776

You might take a look at these to keep an eye on them - monit works nicely.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-monit
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28187786/monit-daemon-error-connecting-to-the-monit-daemon

upstart might be an option too, but I prefer monit.

It could very well be memory issues.  Turning swap on (if it isn't already) could help with stability at the expense of performance.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: