Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:30:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Myrkul Sells AnCap...  (Read 8657 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:49:36 AM

Aren't you being presumptuous with a vision of every individual in society being a "one man army" who can deal with everything?

I'm not because I never said that.

But you called it a fallacy. Why?

Because I never conceded that the assumption that the only way anyone could get protection is by hiring a security agency.

That would be a black & white fallacy, whether or not it's a vaild question or not.

Regardless, quote please, or it didn't happen. Wink

Well, I'm not that motivated at the moment, so I'm fine with it not happening.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:24:08 AM

Aren't you being presumptuous with a vision of every individual in society being a "one man army" who can deal with everything?

I'm not because I never said that.

But you called it a fallacy. Why?

Because I never conceded that the assumption that the only way anyone could get protection is by hiring a security agency.

That would be a black & white fallacy, whether or not it's a vaild question or not.

Regardless, quote please, or it didn't happen. Wink

Well, I'm not that motivated at the moment, so I'm fine with it not happening.

But Hazek's accusation was basically a sophisticated Ad Hominem attack. He criticised the quality of the question, calling it a fallacy of the kind where it's really a criticism that draws its conclusions from earlier assumptions. So I asked where those assumptions were... And it seems I was right. Hazek was making assumptions.

Firefop never said this:
the only way anyone could get protection is by hiring a security agency.

Hazek assumed.

The fallacious assumption behind that fallacious question:

Lets start with privately funded security.

What happens when one such security provider becomes tyrannical and starts abusing people?

is that there will be a need for a private funded security. I never conceded that people would need private funded security, the OP just assumed that that is what would happen, that that is how people would provide for their security.

I don't think I can spell it out any more clearly than that.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 02:23:46 AM

What happens when one such security provider becomes tyrannical and starts abusing people?

Apparently the same thing that is happening in states with privately run prisons - police arrest people for stupid minor infractions, just so that the prison can make extra money, and no one is willing to stop it because "crime is bad."
Or the same thing that happens in every social republic turned dictatorship.
So, in other words, AnCaps will have to figure out how to deal with that just like democratic government types have had to. It's a stupid question, because someone else can just say, "What happens when voting becomes suppressed, and a democratic government becomes tyrannical? See? Democracy is bad/doesn't work!"

BTW, nice thing about AnCap is that, unlike Zeitgeist, AnCap can be started with a small community. It's even starting to materialize online. So, the answer to what will we do with free-loaders, irresponsible people who didn't save for retirement, and the lazy who never bother to learn personal responsibility is easy: we'll deport them to your countries  Grin
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 02:26:35 AM

BTW, nice thing about AnCap is that, unlike Zeitgeist, AnCap can be started with a small community. It's even starting to materialize online. So, the answer to what will we do with free-loaders, irresponsible people who didn't save for retirement, and the lazy who never bother to learn personal responsibility is easy: we'll deport them to your countries  Grin

They'll be happier among their kind, anyway.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
firefop (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 02:27:34 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2012, 02:39:53 AM by firefop

Lets start with privately funded security.

Fallacy: begging the question.

You make an assumption that security is only provided by privately funded security businesses and then you make a conclusion that we ancaps should now argue against. Well many ancaps may fall into this trap, but I wont. I never conceded to your assumption that private security firms would be the only way security would be provided in an ancap society. Quite the opposite, I strongly think that in an ancap society people would generally realize that ultimately they themselves bare the responsibility for their security and that means they themselves would need to find ways of providing it.

How does this change your argument? Well it changes it a lot. Originally your assumption (which I did not concede to) assumes that people have no choice, or better said no other means to protect themselves from a rouge agency that they hired to provide for their security. The truth however is much more likely that people would be highly capable of quickly dealing with such an agency and that even the threat of such a swift defense would be enough of a deterrent for such an agency to never even attempting it.

And here's a broader point you have to understand about ancap theory. We ancaps usually, if we are honest, do NOT have almost any answers as to how certain problems in such a society would get solved. Why? Because the solutions could only ever come from a market regulated strictly by consumption i.e. a free market and not any single person. Just like no person 200 years ago could have given a correct or even an answer in the right neighborhood when asked how the fields would be worked on and food produced if slavery was abolished.

But not having any answers is irrelevant. What are relevant are the foundational principles upon which a society is structured. It didn't matter that no one could have given the answer that "big metal machines with many consecutive tiny explosions of petroleum inside of them" would work the fields because all that was important was that if you want to live in a society that will offer you a good life, slavery couldn't be a principle upon which it was built.

And this will be pretty much the same answer of an honest ancap to any of your "issues" you might raise of how an ancap society might solve certain problems: "We don't know, but it's also irrelevant that we don't. Our theory is valid because of the principles not because of the solutions any one of us might be able to imagine."

Just because you don't have a good answer for a question doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked.

I didn't say I don't have an answer, I said that the specific question you asked was a fallacy.

But I also said that even if it weren't, even if you raised a valid question I couldn't answer it because only a market regulated strictly by consumption i.e. a free market could possibly answer it. And I also said that the fact that I couldn't answer it is irrelevant to the validity of the ancap theory.

It isn't a fallacy (and most certainly isn't 'begging the question') -

Of course people have no better means to protect themselves from a large group (security force) than having their own large group to defend. When we're talking about defense of someone's personal property 5 or 10 guy are an army vs a single man. And I'm not saying that the security that you hired would attempt to violate your rights (I would expect they wouldn't) but I'm asking the question of what happens when a large enough security group (or mercenary group if you will) arrives to kill or steal from you because someone else hired them to?

It's a legitimate question. Power corrupts and armies (historically) do enjoy pillaging. You simply can't rule out the chance that at some point in the whole thing some security providers would become predatory and/or immoral. Look at what some corporations already do to people.

~~~

I should also point out that Myrkul already answered this question in a way that satisfied me. You can review the thread if you're curious as to what his answers were and what conclusions I drew based on them.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 02:39:21 AM

but I'm asking the question of what happens when a large enough security group (or mercenary group if you will) arrives to kill or steal from you because someone else hired them to?

I don't know... what do people do about it when it's happening now?

Look at what some corporations already do to people.

I guess what we have now isn't any better then?
firefop (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 02:45:44 AM

but I'm asking the question of what happens when a large enough security group (or mercenary group if you will) arrives to kill or steal from you because someone else hired them to?

I don't know... what do people do about it when it's happening now?

I guess what we have now isn't any better then?

Very true, what we have now is far from ideal. But the primary issue I have with the possibility of ancap this: you'd have to have nearly universal adherence to the NAP in order for it to work on any scale. Otherwise, you'd have all the problems we have now - except they wouldn't from a central source (the government) they'd be from multiple groups all at once affecting a much smaller area, with the likely hood of many of them overlapping in a way as to compound many of these issues.

stochastic

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 02:47:46 AM

Once we figure out how to end the benefits of being aggressive then aggressive actions will end.  Once aggression has no positive benefit for the aggressor then there won't be any aggressive actions that a person would do toward others.  Once there are no more aggressive people then there won't be any need for a state.  This is because of two things.  (1) the state will lose its ability to use aggression to coerce other people, and (2) it would lose its legitimacy because it cannot say it is needed to subdue 'criminals' or other nations.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 03:09:45 AM

Of course people have no better means to protect themselves from a large group (security force) than having their own large group to defend.
Fallacy or not, that's just plain false, right there. A professional fighting force is certainly one way to do it, and it would certainly require fewer pros to defend a given area than it would militiamen or the like but "no better means" is pushing it a little bit. Remember "defense in depth"? He didn't say it, but the quote attributed to Adm. Yamamoto holds true: "We can't invade America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." Invading a country with armed citizenry is dangerous. Invading one where the average citizen might have any weapon you do is suicidal.

And yes, there are people who whether because of religious or philosophical belief, or some other reason will desire someone else to do their defending for them. That's fine. They will be provided for. But even then, it need not be a large group that does it. Perhaps the community bands together, and the pacifist does the bandaging, in times of need.

When we're talking about defense of someone's personal property 5 or 10 guy are an army vs a single man. And I'm not saying that the security that you hired would attempt to violate your rights (I would expect they wouldn't) but I'm asking the question of what happens when a large enough security group (or mercenary group if you will) arrives to kill or steal from you because someone else hired them to?  
What do you think we do? We shoot the fuckers. It's not rocket science. Smart security/merc companies know this, and would charge exorbitant prices. The really smart ones would refuse.

It's a legitimate question. Power corrupts and armies (historically) do enjoy pillaging. You simply can't rule out the chance that at some point in the whole thing some security providers would become predatory and/or immoral. Look at what some corporations already do to people.
Comparing today's corporations, hiding behind the regulations they paid for, to companies that would operate in an AnCap environment is like comparing a wolf to a dog. Sure, they're both canines, but one is a dangerous beast, and the other is tamed.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
firefop (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 03:59:18 AM

Of course people have no better means to protect themselves from a large group (security force) than having their own large group to defend.
Fallacy or not, that's just plain false, right there. A professional fighting force is certainly one way to do it, and it would certainly require fewer pros to defend a given area than it would militiamen or the like but "no better means" is pushing it a little bit. Remember "defense in depth"? He didn't say it, but the quote attributed to Adm. Yamamoto holds true: "We can't invade America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." Invading a country with armed citizenry is dangerous. Invading one where the average citizen might have any weapon you do is suicidal.

And yes, there are people who whether because of religious or philosophical belief, or some other reason will desire someone else to do their defending for them. That's fine. They will be provided for. But even then, it need not be a large group that does it. Perhaps the community bands together, and the pacifist does the bandaging, in times of need.

When we're talking about defense of someone's personal property 5 or 10 guy are an army vs a single man. And I'm not saying that the security that you hired would attempt to violate your rights (I would expect they wouldn't) but I'm asking the question of what happens when a large enough security group (or mercenary group if you will) arrives to kill or steal from you because someone else hired them to?  
What do you think we do? We shoot the fuckers. It's not rocket science. Smart security/merc companies know this, and would charge exorbitant prices. The really smart ones would refuse.

Comparing today's corporations, hiding behind the regulations they paid for, to companies that would operate in an AnCap environment is like comparing a wolf to a dog. Sure, they're both canines, but one is a dangerous beast, and the other is tamed.

No better means. I wouldn't call one guy attempting to take out a group of attackers 'best' in the sense that he's unlikely to survive. So, we agree that a larger group could potentially provide more efficient security? Being that it would be a free market, wouldn't the efficient organization become prevalent?

Wolf vs Dog - which is which?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:16:23 AM

No better means. I wouldn't call one guy attempting to take out a group of attackers 'best' in the sense that he's unlikely to survive.
Did I say "one guy" anywhere in that? No, no I did not.

So, we agree that a larger group could potentially provide more efficient security? Being that it would be a free market, wouldn't the efficient organization become prevalent?
Because the efficient way is also more expensive. I can hardly predict the entirety of all market interactions, so I can't predict whether there would be more people who just sign up for security contracts, or more who train a few hours every week at home, or more who do both. (If I were running a security company, I would offer discounts for agreeing to - and training to - help out in the event of an invasion - allows me to keep my staff small, and my profits high.)

Wolf vs Dog - which is which?
Can't you guess?
I think you already know:

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:29:13 AM

Oh so you say that AnCap corporations would be tamed.   Where is your proof of that?  Corporations would have the same motivations as they do now except they would have less rules and regulations because the people who would be the most capitalistic in the AnCap society would not "voluntary" agree to more rules and regulations.   I see this aspect of society regressing if we had AnCap than a Nation-State.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:30:35 AM

Because the efficient way is also more expensive. I can hardly predict the entirety of all market interactions, so I can't predict whether there would be more people who just sign up for security contracts, or more who train a few hours every week at home, or more who do both. (If I were running a security company, I would offer discounts for agreeing to - and training to - help out in the event of an invasion - allows me to keep my staff small, and my profits high.)

Sounds like something I wouldn't want to leave to chance or market gyrations. 

Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:38:30 AM

Oh so you say that AnCap corporations would be tamed.   Where is your proof of that?  Corporations would have the same motivations as they do now except they would have less rules and regulations because the people who would be the most capitalistic in the AnCap society would not "voluntary" agree to more rules and regulations.   I see this aspect of society regressing if we had AnCap than a Nation-State.

Well, first off, they wouldn't be corporations. Not in the sense we use the word. They might still be Joint Stock Companies, but they would not have the legal and liability protections granted them by the government. Nor would they have their artificially high barriers to entry, provided by the regulations they paid for. Competition for their market share would be fierce. And how do they keep that market share? By serving the customers. Because we have the money they want, and without the guns of government to make us give it up, the only way to get it is to give us what we want.

So instead you give it to a monopoly, and let them use their guns to make you pay for it?

Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:43:41 AM

Oh so you say that AnCap corporations would be tamed.   Where is your proof of that?  Corporations would have the same motivations as they do now except they would have less rules and regulations because the people who would be the most capitalistic in the AnCap society would not "voluntary" agree to more rules and regulations.   I see this aspect of society regressing if we had AnCap than a Nation-State.

Well, first off, they wouldn't be corporations. Not in the sense we use the word. They might still be Joint Stock Companies, but they would not have the legal and liability protections granted them by the government. Nor would they have their artificially high barriers to entry, provided by the regulations they paid for. Competition for their market share would be fierce. And how do they keep that market share? By serving the customers. Because we have the money they want, and without the guns of government to make us give it up, the only way to get it is to give us what we want.

So instead you give it to a monopoly, and let them use their guns to make you pay for it?

Thank you for clarification on them being Joint-stock companies and how they would operate, sounds promising and I would like to see that in-place in our current system.

I am sorry you can't handle a mandatory tax for basic services.  I am also not going to continually defend it or apologize for it.  You obviously have a lower bar for what I believe is needed for the general welfare and well being of a functional society. 

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:51:00 AM

Thank you for clarification on them being Joint-stock companies and how they would operate, sounds promising and I would like to see that in-place in our current system.
Not gonna happen. Lobbying is cheaper than competing.

I am sorry you can't handle a mandatory tax for basic services.  I am also not going to continually defend it or apologize for it.  You obviously have a lower bar for what I believe is needed for the general welfare and well being of a functional society. 
On the contrary, I have a much higher bar. You accept aggression as a matter of course, I do not.

Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:56:14 AM

Not gonna happen. Lobbying is cheaper than competing.

On the contrary, I have a much higher bar. You accept aggression as a matter of course, I do not.

I would would heavily restrict lobbying if it was on my watch and I am not sure if I would even let companies participate.  Public official need to focus on domestic non-business issues almost exclusively.

You can live in your fantasy all you want.   I live in the real world where the reality is that humans are aggressive just like all top-tier animals in nature. 

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 05:05:24 AM

You can live in your fantasy all you want.   I live in the real world where the reality is that humans are aggressive just like all top-tier animals in nature. 

Is that so?

Who have you killed today? On your drive to work, did you just plow out into the freeway, slamming other cars aside, or did you wait for a spot to open up before you moved over? When another car tried to get on the freeway, did you ram them over the guiderail, or did you let them on?

Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 05:11:38 AM

Is that so?

Who have you killed today? On your drive to work, did you just plow out into the freeway, slamming other cars aside, or did you wait for a spot to open up before you moved over? When another car tried to get on the freeway, did you ram them over the guiderail, or did you let them on?

Actually I took the ferry to work that is supported by my sales tax and rider card revenue.  It is affordable, dependable, clean and I trust in the people running it.

stochastic

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 05:13:15 AM

All this arguing is pointless.  Aggression is a biological problem, once that problem is solved there will be no need for many services that the government claims it must exist to provide.

Aggression has very little power if a person cannot be executed, feel pain, or be imprisoned.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: