Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:03:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wut laptop should I buy guys?  (Read 722 times)
underminer (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 12:42:26 AM

So, hoping to get a laptop for Christmas.  What do you guys recommend?  I had some excellent suggestions from you guys on a gaming desktop recommendation a little while ago, love to see what you think about this.

I'd like ability to install/use multiple hd for dual booting, ssd drives, and probably radeon graphics for some video games.  Durability is probably the main thing I am looking for--budget is maybe $500.  New/used isn't a problem, just want it to be fairly newish.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 12:53:48 AM

On a Tight budget laptop, I can definitely recommend Llano or Trinity based laptops.
An APU, with or without an additional dedicated gfx card, with a bit of overclocking make great gaming laptops on a budget.
So Processors would be A6/A8/A10 depending on what you can get for $500.
In the UK I could do it, and I understand in the USA you can often find better deals.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 08:10:02 AM
Last edit: December 15, 2012, 08:46:47 AM by b!z

In real life, I fly around in helicopters, drive mercedes, and wear rolex watches--but hypothetically speaking *if* I didn't have a whole lot of money and tended to drive older cars all the time that still needed to be smog tested and one of my cars failed the emissions tests, it occurred to me that it would actually be a very expensive thing to set "right" and still be 100% legal on.  I believe that you get three "tries" or tests before you are exempt, and if your tabs are expired, that is three tests (which cost money) plus various (also costing) attempts at repair PLUS trip permits you must buy each time you move the vehicle on the road--all assuming that *hypothetically* the vehicle had not been used for a couple years.  Its the government screwing with the small-timer.

budget is maybe $500
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 08:14:28 AM

I'd recommend shopping on the Dell Outlet.  I got a fantastic 17" i7 8GB 1TB laptop for $480, when the normal price is $850.  Granted, I also had a 30% off Inspirons coupon at the time, so I'd wait around for those good coupons as well, but they come often.  The one I bought has the Intel 4000 chipset, which I've actually been really impressed with.  It won't play BF3, but will play just about everything else, at least on minimal graphical settings.  The upside of not having a terribly powerful chipset is that it stays really cool, even on the lap.  And the i7 3rd gen is just a beast.

I think the dual-HDD option you seek might cost you more than $500 regardless of what else comes with it, but I could be wrong.  I haven't seen that option on any lower-end laptops though.
underminer (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 03:50:48 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2012, 10:03:02 PM by underminer

Ok very helpful, used is ok too, so that might help me snag a higher end laptop I could not normally afford...

b!z: you must not be the sharpest tool in the shed or the shiniest apple in the crate.  Let me help tou out a bit: in the out of context, ironic text above I am pointing out (along with everyone else in that thread) that saying "hypothetically...." pretty much means you are talking about your own, real life.  It's the same as saying "I have a friend who has this problem... "

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
logancore

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2021, 10:09:35 AM

hey guys.

im from hungary and i have a ps4 and a ps5, but im looking for a gaming laptop too, because i travel a lot. what laptop should i buy? i played a lot of single player sony exclusive on the consoles, so my gaming preference on the laptop are some pre-gen multiplayer game. (fe.: r6, overwatch) i read some reviews on notebookcheck and some other hungarian pages, and i think the gaming series from lenovo is good enough. for example the Y520 model: https://westnotebook.hu/blog/100-gaming-lenovo-legion-y520-teszt are you guys had some experience with this model before? is it good enough for the previously mentioned games? thanks a lot. cheers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: