Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:11:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strongcoin vs. Blockchain.info wallet - security  (Read 1288 times)
jonitas (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 02:35:22 AM

Hello,

I started out with bitcoin last month and have mainly been using blockchain.info's wallet. However, I find it a good idea to spread my coins over several wallets in case something happens with one provider. That's why I also looked into Strongcoin.

What makes me a little hesitant to use this solution is the fact that it doesn't offer two factor authentication, whereas Blockchain.info does. But thinking about it, is this two factor authentication actually used to keep your private key secure or just to let you log into the site?

Any thoughts comparing the safety of these two e-wallets? Other hybrid e-wallets you recommend?

Thanks!
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2012, 04:53:12 AM

Mt. Gox uses MFA also.  you have to buy one of their Yubi-Keys that is pre programmed.   

You can also create a secure drive using True Crypt and move you wallet there on your local machine.  you can find the information out there on how to do it, through google.  I put it all together in my book (see signature). 

You can even save a wallet file to USB.  Create a key that exist in a wallet.  Copy the wallet file to a true crypt drive on a USB stick.  Stick in a safe.  then with another account you can send coins to the address.

this works if you have coins you want to squirrel away.

I agree you want to split your coins up (if you have a lot of them) and protect them.

BTW if you only have 10 to 20, you have to figure is it worth the hassle?

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 09:24:42 AM

is this two factor authentication actually used to keep your private key secure or just to let you log into the site?

Same question was essentially covered here:

The 2FA is to protect against a replay attack using your password to access the Blockchain.info website.  It does not protect the backups.

Someone with your blockchain.info/wallet password and access to the encrypted wallet file can decrypt the file and spend your funds.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 10:35:15 AM

i would go with the provider who has the better business model behind his service.

looks like blockchain.info makes that race.
MarketSales

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 11:31:04 AM

Hello,

I started out with bitcoin last month and have mainly been using blockchain.info's wallet. However, I find it a good idea to spread my coins over several wallets in case something happens with one provider. That's why I also looked into Strongcoin.

What makes me a little hesitant to use this solution is the fact that it doesn't offer two factor authentication, whereas Blockchain.info does. But thinking about it, is this two factor authentication actually used to keep your private key secure or just to let you log into the site?

Any thoughts comparing the safety of these two e-wallets? Other hybrid e-wallets you recommend?

Thanks!
Yeah i use the same too.
skepticsism

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 03:17:15 PM

Like you said, you could simply spread your coins over those sites e-wallets at first, then using bring the whole packages over another wallet, e-* or local as exemple.
gabbergabe

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 06:47:34 AM

I like the thought of a USB btc wallet, if its as easy as you say i believe i got some time tonight to make one. Hey maybe ill do a tutorial with it while im at it!

thank you again i love these forums!
nigewri

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 07:20:47 PM

I've been using block chain for awhile, only issue I have is I'm an Aussie living in the UAE and buying BTC is a rear pain in the butt... No bank transfer options for this part of the word..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: