Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:51:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best bitcoin mining rig for $1000?  (Read 4604 times)
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 07:59:46 AM

I have done pretty well with decent electricity and selling gear.

yes, maybe because you have cheap electricity, secure location for miners and time for selling, packaging and sending your mining gear.

I don't have anything from this, but really...if you want to put 1000$ to Bitcoin, buy them directly instead of some stupid mining ideas. and this is valid I would say for majority of board users..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:35:49 PM

I have done pretty well with decent electricity and selling gear.

yes, maybe because you have cheap electricity, secure location for miners and time for selling, packaging and sending your mining gear.

I don't have anything from this, but really...if you want to put 1000$ to Bitcoin, buy them directly instead of some stupid mining ideas. and this is valid I would say for majority of board users..

Yes... but at one time did not have some of it.  I invested in making a mining area instead of doing the put some in each room.  It was not free... it was a investment.  there is nothing to stop you from having one to just upfront costs.   My main factor is i needed it for cooling for summer, now I can do lot's of CFM's and cool in summer.

On packaging on mining gear... keep the boxes they send it to you in.  It's that simple I don't invest in new boxes and packing that would be stupid.  I have a system where I keep original boxing and when I sell I use the same boxing it was sent to me in. 
wikenpp

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 06:04:26 PM

With a 1000 bucks i would go for either some second hands 3x S5 with PSU
Or get a SP Jackson with PSU.

However don't forget to calculate your earnings.
Newcoins2020

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 08:25:54 PM

Either a couple of antminer S3's or antminer s5's.
I know spondoolies tech made good hardrware but I am with bitmain since day 1 and I know their hardware is one of the best, maybe even the best.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 10:57:31 PM

I know spondoolies tech made good hardrware but I am with bitmain since day 1 and I know their hardware is one of the best, maybe even the best.

How many miners have you had to base that on?   I strongly don't think you can say X company is the best!

I think each model is a different beast.  Some are better then others.  But you cant say X company is always best.   
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:48:01 AM

it depend on the bills cost, i know i would not touch the s5 anymore, it's better to buy 1 single s7 with 1k, they are around that

they you only need to add one psu and you're done, with 3 x s5 you would get less hashpower with a greater psu needed

people tend to forget the psu cost each tiem i see a suggestion, which is huge, since it's already 1/3 of the asic cost, int he case of a s7...
papadrams

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:51:05 AM

In my opinion, a s7 is the best you can buy right now.. It has more hashing power than all the others, and with chips 1385 is much more efficient than others.. If you order from batch 9, price is 1034.47$. And if you buy a good psu 250$ plus.
I know its over your budget but for 300$ more you get a much better deal than the s5's or sp20's  Wink
Westant

Activity: 355

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:11:54 AM

Will S7 last longer due to the higher efficiency? If the electricity price is not low, would it be good to get S7 instead of S5?
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:58:28 AM

Will S7 last longer due to the higher efficiency? If the electricity price is not low, would it be good to get S7 instead of S5?

It will be all fine, and if you go for batch 9, you will get a bigger difference in the price, as the shipment date will be Jan 20 or then-after...
S7 is the beast currently you should go for, I checked it first and confirmed that it is only the one in markets which can make you ROI in 6 - 7 months even if you electricity cost is medium...

wikenpp

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:23:14 PM

I would not recommend to buy a S3 at. The S3 is what a S1 was 1 year ago.
Ofcourse the price is cheap (80/90 dollar), but with this difficuly you will not get your investment back.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:02:40 PM

Ofcourse the price is cheap (80/90 dollar), but with this difficuly you will not get your investment back.

It's just the nature of mining gear goes down in price the longer you have it.  S3 you need really cheap electricity or free electricity at this point.  For those lucky ones with free electricity they can get it and still profit.

S3's are tanks and will  be around for quite a while.   Just are going to shift to lower electricity areas.
sishendaoye

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 05:18:10 PM

It's just the nature of mining gear goes down in price the longer you have it.  S3 you need really cheap electricity or free electricity at this point.  For those lucky ones with free electricity they can get it and still profit.

S3's are tanks and will  be around for quite a while.   Just are going to shift to lower electricity areas.

Nah if you buy an Antminer S3 for around 80/90 dollar you won't get your money back.
First of all you need to buy a PSU which cost money.
Then check your daily earnings.

With that in mind, the miner will need 1 year to even get ROI, by that time I doubt if all of them are still working...
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 07:10:26 PM

Nah if you buy an Antminer S3 for around 80/90 dollar you won't get your money back.

With that in mind, the miner will need 1 year to even get ROI, by that time I doubt if all of them are still working...

A lot of miners have PSU's from miners that already ROI'ed.  I don't sell PSU's so I don't always have to buy one, only if I don't have a sutable one do I buy PSU.

And you cannot say they wont.  There is some who are lucky with free electricity, it might not be a quick roi but eventually they should.   And it's those free and super cheap electricity is where S3's are going now.
Kepariy

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:40:54 AM

If you pay high electricity price >10c/kwh, you will not get your money back. S3 is too inefficient for mining now.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 10:22:08 AM

I think you missed the part of very cheap or "free".  A S3 is still a solid miner it just is not nearly as efficient as new miners.

There are still a lot that have  "free" sadly I'm not one of them.  But for someone who does a S3 still is a fine miner.  And depending on PSU you could sell after, or use for another miner.
Westant

Activity: 355

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 08:33:10 AM

I think you missed the part of very cheap or "free".  A S3 is still a solid miner it just is not nearly as efficient as new miners.

There are still a lot that have  "free" sadly I'm not one of them.  But for someone who does a S3 still is a fine miner.  And depending on PSU you could sell after, or use for another miner.

We can modify S3 and reduce the voltage and frequcncy so that it is almost as efficient as the new ones. But it occupy more space in terms of hash/space.
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 09:08:51 AM

We can modify S3 and reduce the voltage and frequcncy so that it is almost as efficient as the new ones. But it occupy more space in terms of hash/space.

Yes you can modify an S3 for reduced Core Voltage (aka Pencil Mod) and reduce Frequency this will move you from a standard of 0.74J/GH to at best 0.56J/GH however this is well short of an S7 at 0.25J/GH let alone the coming Bitfury at 0.1J/GH.

So worthwhile but with the Frequency drop needed the hash rate will drop to around 175GH/s and you will still need very cheap electricity to make money.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 07:45:19 AM

It's just the nature of mining gear goes down in price the longer you have it.  S3 you need really cheap electricity or free electricity at this point.  For those lucky ones with free electricity they can get it and still profit.

S3's are tanks and will  be around for quite a while.   Just are going to shift to lower electricity areas.

I think you missed the part of very cheap or "free".  A S3 is still a solid miner it just is not nearly as efficient as new miners.

There are still a lot that have  "free" sadly I'm not one of them.  But for someone who does a S3 still is a fine miner.  And depending on PSU you could sell after, or use for another miner.

i doubt this si the case, if you reduce the voltage and the efficiency too much, you can get two thing, unstable miner + a very low hashrate, and if unless the ratio is in favor of the hash(when you reduce the voltage and frequency) you're stuck with a ratio of 1:1 between the two

so i say it's a bit useless, this because new miners use new chipset that are more efficient di per se
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 07:56:45 AM

i doubt this si the case, if you reduce the voltage and the efficiency too much, you can get two thing, unstable miner + a very low hashrate, and if unless the ratio is in favor of the hash(when you reduce the voltage and frequency) you're stuck with a ratio of 1:1 between the two

This is not correct, see my post above your one that covers Undervolt & Frequency Reduction for the S3. The ratio only remains the same if you just reduce Frequency leaving Voltage unchanged. If Voltage & Frequency are reduced then efficiency improves.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 09:35:59 AM

The best efficiency out of an S3 even undervolted isn't even close to the efficiency of a stock S5, much less an S7.

Clock rate has almost no effect on efficiency on a Bitcoin miner, it's pretty much all about the chips the miner uses and what voltage it runs the chips at.

On the other hand, with free electricity there's no point in worrying about efficiency except in that it can affect how much hashrate you CAN come up with if you hit the limit of available power before you run out of cash to buy miners with....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: