Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:12:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best bitcoin mining rig for $1000?  (Read 4604 times)
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:05:49 AM

The best efficiency out of an S3 even undervolted isn't even close to the efficiency of a stock S5, much less an S7.

Clock rate has almost no effect on efficiency on a Bitcoin miner, it's pretty much all about the chips the miner uses and what voltage it runs the chips at.

On the other hand, with free electricity there's no point in worrying about efficiency except in that it can affect how much hashrate you CAN come up with if you hit the limit of available power before you run out of cash to buy miners with....

Actually you can get close to S5 efficiency with an Undervolted S3. As I said in my post above, which everyone seem to be ignoring  Smiley you can get them to 0.56J/GH, S5 standard is 0.51J/GH. However agreed on S7 etc.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kepariy

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 09:02:19 AM

The best efficiency out of an S3 even undervolted isn't even close to the efficiency of a stock S5, much less an S7.

Clock rate has almost no effect on efficiency on a Bitcoin miner, it's pretty much all about the chips the miner uses and what voltage it runs the chips at.

On the other hand, with free electricity there's no point in worrying about efficiency except in that it can affect how much hashrate you CAN come up with if you hit the limit of available power before you run out of cash to buy miners with....

Actually you can get close to S5 efficiency with an Undervolted S3. As I said in my post above, which everyone seem to be ignoring  Smiley you can get them to 0.56J/GH, S5 standard is 0.51J/GH. However agreed on S7 etc.

Rich

Is it possible to undervolt S7. If so, then it might still be usable after the halving in June-July 2016.
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 09:44:01 AM

Is it possible to undervolt S7. If so, then it might still be usable after the halving in June-July 2016.

Not sure to what degree this has been tried yet as at the moment you are better off to run flat out? Approach will depend on which model of S7 you have.

162 Chip systems Batches 1,2,3,4,5,7 are a pure string design and you will just need to reduce the supply voltage to the Miner.

135 Chip systems batches 6,8,9,10 are a string design but powered by a Buck Converter, controlled by a PIC microcontroller and a Digital Pot. Although this has been discussed noone has yet fully understood or presented modifications to the Microcontroller code to allow the Core Voltage to be adjusted. I am certain this will be possible, but do not have an S7 to play with so cannot contribute. However if at some point 135 Chip S7 become affordable on the second had market I will almost certainly by one to play with.  Smiley

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 11:06:05 AM

Not sure to what degree this has been tried yet as at the moment you are better off to run flat out? Approach will depend on which model of S7 you have.

162 Chip systems Batches 1,2,3,4,5,7 are a pure string design and you will just need to reduce the supply voltage to the Miner.

135 Chip systems batches 6,8,9,10 are a string design but powered by a Buck Converter, controlled by a PIC microcontroller and a Digital Pot. Although this has been discussed noone has yet fully understood or presented modifications to the Microcontroller code to allow the Core Voltage to be adjusted. I am certain this will be possible, but do not have an S7 to play with so cannot contribute. However if at some point 135 Chip S7 become affordable on the second had market I will almost certainly by one to play with.  Smiley

Rich

That is the hard part about S7's to is all the different designs.   Even the different frequencies and chip amounts it's hard to say what it will do in general as it's more individualized on which batch.

Look at the chart

That is a lot of variance.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: