Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:08:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to pay NO income tax? Cut welfare.  (Read 10024 times)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 05:34:37 PM

You've heard of the second amendment haven't you? Tongue

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:00:49 PM

Somewhat related: Social Security.

The SS tax has been increased by 2% to 6.2%.  If we assume the same rate of payout is still available in 2053 (my year of retirement at age 66) and my monthly income does not change, I would generate about $6,500.00 in a monthly paycheck from the government. (source: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/quickcalc/)

If, instead, that 6.2% was invested in the private sector (stock market), which has, historically, generated 10% investment return per year, then I would have accumulated $1.3M of retirement wealth.  If I withdrew the investment income (10% annually) from that accumulated wealth, or almost $11,000/month.

Now, this doesn't have much of a direct tie-in with welfare, but it still jerks my chain that we're forced to participate in this system instead of being able to use that money towards something more.... profitable.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 06:12:20 PM

Now, this doesn't have much of a direct tie-in with welfare, but it still jerks my chain that we're forced to participate in this system instead of being able to use that money towards something more.... profitable.

Like saving for our own retirement?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:19:29 PM

Like saving for our own retirement?
Something like that, yeah.  Wink
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 12:39:55 AM

Without welfare, students will have to work there way through uni, sick people will die or depend on charity donations, single mothers and the poor will end up homeless and on the street, crime will increase, and the gap between the rich and poor will become even greater.

In other words, join the party known as "Become just like the United States"

SamuraiHP

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 03:15:56 PM

heheh that old chestnut  Tongue
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:15:29 AM

Somewhat related: Social Security.

The SS tax has been increased by 2% to 6.2%.  If we assume the same rate of payout is still available in 2053 (my year of retirement at age 66) and my monthly income does not change, I would generate about $6,500.00 in a monthly paycheck from the government. (source: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/quickcalc/)

If, instead, that 6.2% was invested in the private sector (stock market), which has, historically, generated 10% investment return per year, then I would have accumulated $1.3M of retirement wealth.  If I withdrew the investment income (10% annually) from that accumulated wealth, or almost $11,000/month.

And the meme you quote is unfortunately, wrong.  It's not wrong in comparison with quoted returns from social security, it is better than that.

Here's a guy that's done some simple work looking at after-inflation values of stocks and returns on them.  He gets about 3%.

http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/Inflation_Adjusted_Stock_Price/NYSE_Inflation_adjusted_stock_price.asp
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: