Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 07:27:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: We shouldn't be recommending the Satoshi client to new users  (Read 596 times)
Scrat Acorns (OP)

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 04:36:16 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2012, 05:27:56 PM by Scrat Acorns

Why? It's so inefficient and provides a poor user experience.

Power users and developers will understand the need for it to download the entire 3.5GB+ blockchain, however the average Joe will not.

I understand that the 0.8 ultraprune client will reduce first run time to 30 minutes, however that is not enough. Until the official client is snappy enough and has a sleek & sexy interface (think Electrum on MacOS), I will be recommending Electrum/Armory or web wallets like BlockChain/Coinbase to people who ask me about Bitcoin.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 05:06:55 PM

Why? It's so inefficient and provides a poor user experience.

Power users and developers will understand the need for it to download the entire 3.5GB+ blockchain, however the average Joe will not.

I understand that the 0.8 ultraprune client will reduce first run time to 30 minutes, however that is not enough. Until the official client is snappy enough and has a sleek & sexy interface (think Electrum on MacOS), I will be recommending Electrum/Armory or web wallets like BlockChain/Coinbase to people who ask me about Bitcoin.
It is important to consider the needs and desires of the user before recommending anything.  If I told you I was thinking about purchasing a vehicle, and was looking for some advice about which type of vehicle to buy, would you recommend a coup, sedan, SUV, pickup truck, or sailboat or motorboat?

To just arbitrarily recommend a wallet (or vehicle) is a silly thing to do.  You are assuming that the person asking for advice will be using that wallet (or vehicle) in exactly the same way as you.

The better options are to either:

Take the time to figure out exactly what the person asking needs/wants, and then recommend based on that information.

or

Assist the person in learning the benefits and shortcomings of each option so they can make an educated choice for themselves.
Scrat Acorns (OP)

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 05:24:51 PM

It is important to consider the needs and desires of the user before recommending anything.  If I told you I was thinking about purchasing a vehicle, and was looking for some advice about which type of vehicle to buy, would you recommend a coup, sedan, SUV, pickup truck, or sailboat or motorboat?

To just arbitrarily recommend a wallet (or vehicle) is a silly thing to do.  You are assuming that the person asking for advice will be using that wallet (or vehicle) in exactly the same way as you.

The better options are to either:

Take the time to figure out exactly what the person asking needs/wants, and then recommend based on that information.

or

Assist the person in learning the benefits and shortcomings of each option so they can make an educated choice for themselves.
Hence my "average joe" comment. I should have said "your average non-technologically inclined person". I'm just talking about the average user that uses the internet for facebook and/or buying things online once in a while.

It is pointless to explain the internals of Bitcoin and cryptography to a person like that. Trust me I have tried. However, my knowledge in both topics is quite deep. Therefore I think I am in the position to make that decision for them and if they trust me they will follow my advice.

In that case, what I do mention to them is that a web wallet should only be used for micropayments and that all BTC transactions are irreversible unlike credit cards.
lennox

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 06:40:38 PM

i agree, i just downloaded the official client and, wow!
this will be a few days until i am even up to date on the current blocks!
SRG

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 07:34:51 PM

I agree that there could be a better starting point.  Logistical issues with the client kept me out of Bitcoin for awhile, I thought I needed it to get started - it is the client after all - but you really don't.  Of course, the key issue is what do you recommend instead?  Blockchain.info wallet?  It at least points you to satoshi dice.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: