Bitcoin Forum
October 08, 2024, 01:39:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory operational question  (Read 579 times)
dollarbill (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2012, 05:46:46 PM

Just started using Armory and have an offline copy running on an offline computer and on online copy on an online computer with a "Watch Only Waller".
I notice that the option under Wallet Properties:  "Backup Individual Keys" is available on the online computer as well as the Offline computer.  If you click on this and put in the password won't this spit out the private keys that are supposed to be only on the
Offline Computer?  If so isn't this a significant vulnerability?  (If a hacker gained access to the online computer and were able to
brute force guess the password wouldn't he be able to spend the bitcoins?) --or am I missing something--I hope. 
Thanks
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 02:25:40 AM

Just started using Armory and have an offline copy running on an offline computer and on online copy on an online computer with a "Watch Only Waller".
I notice that the option under Wallet Properties:  "Backup Individual Keys" is available on the online computer as well as the Offline computer.  If you click on this and put in the password won't this spit out the private keys that are supposed to be only on the
Offline Computer?  If so isn't this a significant vulnerability?  (If a hacker gained access to the online computer and were able to
brute force guess the password wouldn't he be able to spend the bitcoins?) --or am I missing something--I hope. 
Thanks

There are no private keys at all in the watching-only wallet file, so there is nothing to be revealed.  If you're really ambitious you can open your watching-only wallet file with a hex editor and compare the data against the documented format.  You'll see that the private key fields are all zeros Smiley

What you get when you click that button is the ability to see your public keys and/or addresses, which some users might want for a variety of reasons (mostly advanced users). 

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
dollarbill (OP)

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 06:32:27 AM

Many thanks.  Outstanding  software.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: