Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:36:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would I want to run a Bitcoin core node  (Read 874 times)
rikrikrik (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

where am i? HELLO WORLD

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:37:58 PM

Why would I want or need to run a node, I have a gfx cluster I used for rendering but when it's not doing anything it's just sitting there,

What does running a core node 24/7 do to help me or the community?

I sell small amounts of BTC for PayPal msg me for details and spot rate
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:39:03 PM

You help relaying and accepting transactions for inclusion in a block
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:40:41 PM

It does absolutely nothing for you. It does help maintain the network and its decentralisation. They did miss a bit of a trick with the total lack of incentive. Benevolence isn't enough to keep it going.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1580

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 04:55:31 PM

It does absolutely nothing for you. It does help maintain the network and its decentralisation. They did miss a bit of a trick with the total lack of incentive. Benevolence isn't enough to keep it going.

There may not be direct financial incentive, but if you hold larger amount of btc, or you run btc related business service etc it makes every sense to you to support the network by running full node (as long as the related costs are reasonable). So I wouldn't say it totally relies on benevolence.

But yeah, I'd love to see properly developed node reward system, even if the rewards are symbolic.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:58:14 PM

You strenghten the general bitcoin network by running a full node. You may want to get rid of some of the power consuming parts of your cluster as the requirements to run a node are not that high. It will save a lot of power that way, which is good for you and the environment.

Running a node unfortunately does not provide any rewards for you at this moment.
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 04:58:45 PM

This doesn't bring any money advantage but some moral happiness. By doing so you help the network to remain decentralised. If you have a lot of money in Bitcoin, this may also unsure you a protection. This way you can say you are essential to Bitcoin Wink !
rikrikrik (OP)

where am i? HELLO WORLD

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 05:34:40 PM

Ok so you have my interest, now at the moment I use a web site that I bought my btc with AUD and SGD, if I run my own node will I be able to send and receive BTC without any transaction costs? And with me having a full node will it help propagate mine (and other people) transactions faster?

I sell small amounts of BTC for PayPal msg me for details and spot rate
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 05:36:49 PM

Ok so you have my interest, now at the moment I use a web site that I bought my btc with AUD and SGD, if I run my own node will I be able to send and receive BTC without any transaction costs? And with me having a full node will it help propagate mine (and other people) transactions faster?

you will still need to send a transaction fee if you want your transaction to be verified any time soon. Even if you have a miner running you need tx fee.

unamis76
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:16:46 PM

No, because you don't host a huge mining node. Yes, you'll help transactions propagate further.
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:49:06 PM

Unfortunately not. You are only helping with relaying the transaction over the network and making sure there is always a valid copy of the blockchain going around.

If you want free transactions, you need to have enough mining power to be able to mine a block yourself, which will be near impossible nowadays.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:29:54 PM

this is another thing that should be added, a small reward to incentivate running a node

they can already do that with the fee, 10ks to everyone that is running a node, per day, at least they have a free transaction  Grin
Patusinmod

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:32:56 PM

this is another thing that should be added, a small reward to incentivate running a node

they can already do that with the fee, 10ks to everyone that is running a node, per day, at least they have a free transaction  Grin

Is there a block reward scheme for full nodes? I am interested in joining one. I have a full node.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:34:50 PM

Is there a block reward scheme for full nodes? I am interested in joining one. I have a full node.

no there are not reward of any kind, sadly, otherwise i would run one

Meuh6879
Legendary

Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 08:23:44 PM

With a simple node, you control the most powered network on the world !

And ... you control your money, too.

Approved since december 2013.
knowhow

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 08:28:14 PM

This scenario will maybe change when the mine of bitcoins ends,on that time someome must support the network to keep bitcoin safe,soo the owners of nodes on that time should take some % to keep alive otherwise we will see bitcoin going down very fast.
Patusinmod

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:43:31 AM

This scenario will maybe change when the mine of bitcoins ends,on that time someome must support the network to keep bitcoin safe,soo the owners of nodes on that time should take some % to keep alive otherwise we will see bitcoin going down very fast.

The mining of bitcoin will never end as the miners can get fees for supporting the network. That is the transaction fee.
coinzat

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 10:50:59 AM

There is no benefit from running a node for an individual. It will cost you the electricity and your PC  may be damaged. I know that it will help the network but there is already enough nodes running out there
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 04:58:21 PM

There are no incentives right now but to feel good that you are doing a good job into helping the network. I wish they made the Core wallet more functional and cool looking at least since you have to keep it open all day.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 05:35:53 PM

they can already do that with the fee, 10ks to everyone that is running a node, per day, at least they have a free transaction  Grin

The mining of bitcoin will never end as the miners can get fees for supporting the network. That is the transaction fee.

that what i mean with "end" entering the fee, is an ending, and so a full node can be seen more as a miner node, because there is no more generation, thus it can earn with fee like miners
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 06:00:14 PM

In my perspective, full node is the chance to pay back to bitcoin ecosystem once I become a bitcoin Millionaire. If I would have adopted bitcoins by 2010 then now I will be running a full node. The reasons are obvious. Same way I believe by 2020 I will be running at least 2 full nodes for 24x7 to help and secure bitcoin network and community.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: