Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:49:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scammed by TORWallet!  (Read 2144 times)
trabwqem (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 10:23:36 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2012, 11:33:36 PM by trabwqem

Hey there, so I've used TORWallet in the past without problem until now when I tried to withdraw and all I see is "Hot wallet exhausted. Please wait while we move coins in from our offline wallet." I did a little digging and it seems this has been going on for months.

Now, I only lost 1 BTC but it's still very irritating to me. People like this are ruining our community.

So, just a warning to anyone who was thinking about using it: TORWallet IS A SCAM!

.. and to the scumbag scammer of TORWallet: Please get hit by a bus, thanks.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 12:31:14 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2013, 06:51:52 PM by Stephen Gornick

I did a little digging and it seems this has been going on for months.

Yup.  

TORWallet has not been allowing people to withdraw from there wallets

The TorWallet post has been updated by a mod in hopes to discourage anyone attempting to use it:

Mod note: probable scam.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

private

Activity: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:09:01 AM

Never EVER bank on the darknet.
trabwqem (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:11:22 AM

The second worst part is that I was about to double check and see if anyone was having problems with them before I sent my funds.

I'm just glad it was only 1 BTC at this point. Is there any way to have the public TORWallet (http://torwallet.net/) legally taken offline? I believe I saw in another thread that he's using false registrant details which I'm sure is against domain registration policy. Or maybe if there were a group effort to report the site as a phishing attempt using Firefox and Chrome, and by other means? Are his links still posted to his original thread? If so, maybe they should be removed as well.

I'd love to hear some more ideas. I just don't think this site should be left online like this for more people to be scammed. (Note: I'm not advocating illegal actions)

Anyway, thanks for the reply Stephen Gornick.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 05:26:37 AM

Is there any way to have the public TORWallet (http://torwallet.net/) legally taken offline?

Good thinking.  The registrar is Microtronix, a vendor that takes bitcoin, so they should be able to justify complying with a takedown.

I'll write them and report back.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

trabwqem (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 10:50:32 PM

Is there any way to have the public TORWallet (http://torwallet.net/) legally taken offline?

Good thinking.  The registrar is Microtronix, a vendor that takes bitcoin, so they should be able to justify complying with a takedown.

I'll write them and report back.

Thanks for taking the initiative. I look forward to seeing if anything comes of it.
uranus

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:18:51 PM

Never EVER bank on the darknet.
Agree, best to avoid altogether. Too many nuts there.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 05:53:42 PM

The TORWallet site is still up and I've asked the operator of the hosting company for status on the takedown requests.

The response indicated that there have been no reports to him [Edit: with supporting evidence] of anyone being scammed (and thus without that, no take-down action is forthcoming).  I've provided the hosting provider's email to multiple people who have inquired via PM, but I cannot say with certainty that any have submitted a report of having been scammed [Edit: or if contacted him, provided evidence].

Should anyone wish report their losses, here's the contact information:

Please email me directly,
jfreak53@microtronix-tech.com

[Edit: I would think all the evidence needed is a screenshot of the "Hot wallet exhausted" message right?]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 06:08:16 PM

Keep in mind that there are two sides to the trust equation.  I agree malicious actors could ruin the community, but only if we fall for their activities.  We need to be aware that they are out there and know that they exist.  They do everywhere, I have a bridge I'd like sell to sell you.

They will not ruin the community unless we let them.  We as individuals in the community have a part to play. 

With new services there will not be trust and there will need to be early adopters of the services.  If you decide you want to risk it by being an early adopter so be it, we will need people willing to take the risk.  Go into it knowing your taking the risk and if it fails, it fails.  If it seems too risky and no one is willing to test the waters then its not a good fit for the community.

I believe that is what you were doing and you were just reporting back, which is good.  I'm only commenting on the fact that you feel people like this will ruin the community. I think its part of the growth of the community.  It might well be that the originator, felt they were adding something positive, that simply failed.  It could be that they fully intended to rip people off.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
Dzek888

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 12:34:14 AM

Hello!!!Torwallet does not allow me to withdraw bitkoin! 
I sent an email with the screen on jfreak53@microtronix-tech.com.
Can I get your bitkoin?I await your reply.
Thank you.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 11, 2013, 01:01:02 PM

Hello!!!Torwallet does not allow me to withdraw bitkoin! 
I sent an email with the screen on jfreak53@microtronix-tech.com.
Can I get your bitkoin?I await your reply.
Thank you.
TORWallet has folded shop, and your coins are probably lost to them. Microtronix only manages the hosting, so there's no use contacting them to get your coins back.
vagab

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 01:38:13 PM

TORWallet has folded shop, and your coins are probably lost to them. Microtronix only manages the hosting, so there's no use contacting them to get your coins back.

' JFreak53@microtronix-tech.com ' keeps asking for more proof and documnetation and 'supporting evidence' .   Somehow he is not able to  google for the evidence  .

And TorWallet is still up and accepting new deposits.

And all along, Microtronix/JFreak53 is advertising their services of hosting bitcoins on 2 servers ( see :
 http://www.microthosting.com/  and   http://www.microthosting.com/bitcoin-servers.html  .)

Unless the Canadian authorities get involved, the coins in TorWallet are probably lost.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 12:51:21 PM

Doing a whois on the domain now shows SUSPENDED on this:

Note: This Domain Name is Suspended.

And as a result, there is no longer DNS resolving occurring (and thus the service is effectively now offline).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 01:32:43 PM

Doing a whois on the domain now shows SUSPENDED on this:

Note: This Domain Name is Suspended.

And as a result, there is no longer DNS resolving occurring (and thus the service is effectively now offline).
the Service is still up, but only reachable trough TOR

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
vagab

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 09:13:39 PM

TorWallet is up, and accepting coins from new customers, and accepting coins from old customers ( on Tor ).

Any Canadians reading this?

It may be time to contact the Canadian equivalent of a DA or Attorney General. ( Microtronix/JFreak53 knows or should know who they are. )
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 09:21:01 PM

Can't do much without proof.
sorped

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 06:56:44 AM

I just don't see the point in what they are doing. If I'm not mistaken, the people behind TORwallet won't be able to access the individual wallets, the BTC are just sitting there...

Sure as hell wish I'd done my homework before depositing there...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 01:56:30 PM

. . . If I'm not mistaken, the people behind TORwallet won't be able to access the individual wallets . . .
Why would you think that?  I'm pretty sure they can.
sorped

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 02:33:25 PM

. . . If I'm not mistaken, the people behind TORwallet won't be able to access the individual wallets . . .

Because of that unique address you need to access the wallet. Of course, it was setup to be a scam from the beginning they could harvest that someway on registration, but the coins I deposited are still sitting in my unique wallet so I'm not sure what is what Smiley
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 02:52:48 PM

Because of that unique address you need to access the wallet. Of course, it was setup to be a scam from the beginning they could harvest that someway on registration, but the coins I deposited are still sitting in my unique wallet so I'm not sure what is what Smiley
they developed the system, u get an address and such a key passed to ur URL to match it to your "wallet", the BTC itself goes into theirs pocket.
since they developed the system, its theirs money no longer urs. if you really believe they cant access it then this is stupidty/retardness. for example, il ship my money to u and label it with such a "key", now ur telling me u cant access the BTC due to this key?

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: