Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:26:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Intersting Bitcoin Stories  (Read 995 times)
darbsllim (OP)

Activity: 297
Merit: 251

Founder, Filmmaker, Fun Guy

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:52:39 PM

I am writing a series about Bitcoin, and I'm looking for some interesting stories about bitcoin people, and bitcoin happenings.

For instance, there was a story about a lady who accepted bitcoins for socks - she accumulated thousands of bitcoins when they were worth a few cents each.

Then there was the story where the bitcoin miner had the police show up at his door.

We're looking for some fun stories like that, anyone have any leads?

Brad

Brad Mills,
Investor - Former miner - Former Bitcoin Business Owner - Survivor of the Great Bitcoin Crashes of 2011 and 2012, the MtGox Heist of 2014 & the 2017 crypto bubble.
Bitrated user: bradmillscan.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
uartasic

Activity: 177
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 08:00:43 AM

I know this a bit like the Way Back Machine but i just read a piece on WIRED magazine

https://www.wired.com/story/i-forgot-my-pin-an-epic-tale-of-losing-dollar30000-in-bitcoin/ bit of a good read.

mine was not so glamorous, its more down to earth. i dont have children on school holiday in London or have founded a website or two whilst working for WIRED.

in 2012 i got into btc for the pure crypto curious side of my brain. between formula 1 and my IT work it was starting to be my 3rd hobby.

i bought .7 of one via local bitcoins

i was quietly mining them via cpu and a block eruptor or 2. very very slim pickings but i had no fewer than 20 wallets across several hard drives. some hard drives failed thereby losing my mined coins.war

i also dabbled with the alts, LTC DRK FTC QRK etc

i bought LTC and DRK but mined around 5 DRK.

Fast forward to 2017 and things have peaked immensely. Japan granted exchanges, China fell in and out of BTC and ASICS are ruling the crypto world not to mention the new kid on the block, ETH.

In 2016 i started to compile my coinfolio by redeeming my LTC on eexchanges, however i could never find my BTC stash. i figured i had around 16 coins in total but these were broken up over so many wallets and hard drives.

i found adresses her an dthere and many were 0.002 and 0.0003 and bits and pieces.

i then stumbled across one for 0.52 of a btc.

i pulled up the address on the block explorer and sure enough, it was unspent.

After loading many wallet.dat files into bitcoin core to find the address i discovered frustration quickly as many were password protected.

having tried bitrecover and pywallet to try and bruteforce it but a 37 character password meant a few million years even if i knew a few of the characters so it was as good as gone.

i then ventured over to blockchain and uploaded the wallets to get a better look at the transaction to find 1 transaction that turned out to be odd but jogged my memory immediately.

knowing that all my wallets appeared to be locked, i found an email i sent to myself in 2013, and stuck in draft mode on an old mining laptop (yes you could sort of mine on laptops back then)within that email was a wallet.dat file and the accompanying text had the wallet address which was .52. i had found the wallet but was it encrypted??? i feared it was as it was too good to be true.

it was friday night and there i was reindexing the 147 gig blockchain on my core with the wallet.dat i found loaded. at 11:45pm the wallet synched and there was no lock icon. 4500AUD bitcoin was mine again.

After losing my purchased btc to cex.io via buying hash power, in the era the returns were very low, i feel on top of the world, like finding 4500 in the top drawer.

apprehensive about the wallet i did i test transfer to my exchange, and what do you know, no password prompt, it was unencrypted / unlocked.

after the confirms and verified receipt i then transferred the rest.

happy days. i do have abot 6 more hard drives to sift trhough but i feel this is the largest single wallet and will quit while i am ahead.

i hope others out there have similar cool positive ending stories. i now how the smug bitcoin look again. i had the dash coin one as well a few weeks ago.

Crypto Vest coin fan \ Alt-Coin Blockchain Assembler \ BTC faithful \ POWR faithful
ir.yance

Activity: 354
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 05:42:00 AM

I am writing a series about Bitcoin, and I'm looking for some interesting stories about bitcoin people, and bitcoin happenings.

For instance, there was a story about a lady who accepted bitcoins for socks - she accumulated thousands of bitcoins when they were worth a few cents each.

Then there was the story where the bitcoin miner had the police show up at his door.

We're looking for some fun stories like that, anyone have any leads?

Brad

in the beginning I just idly fun with this bitcoin to fill my spare time and coincidentally this guy can ngasilin money high enough price then I studied more about this bitcoin and the results are yes quite satisfactory
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 06:00:42 AM

This is probably the most legendary one: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0
This guy bought pizza for 10K Bitcoins, which were worth $41 at that time.

The day he made that transaction is now called Bitcoin Pizza day (May 22nd). Funnily it's also the first ever documented transaction of Bitcoin with the purpose of purchasing a good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: