Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:20:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I sent bitcoins to my watch only electrum wallet.  (Read 1524 times)
BradBWA (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 11:58:10 PM

I'm new to buying bitcoins and transferring them. So basically i bought some bitcoins from LocalBitcoins then sent them to my watch only electrum wallet. My BTC balance on electrum says i've got nothing. Does this mean i have lost my BTC forever? Blockchain is showing that they was sent to 2 addresses. I'm sorry if i don't make much sense. I'm very new to this stuff.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 12:02:12 AM

As long as you have the actual wallet with the private keys, then your Bitcoin is safe (provided that you withdrew to the right address).

Is your Electrum fully synced and up to date?

Can you provide us the transaction id of the transaction that sent the Bitcoin to you?

BradBWA (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 12:12:42 AM

As long as you have the actual wallet with the private keys, then your Bitcoin is safe (provided that you withdrew to the right address).

Can you provide us the transaction id of the transaction that sent the Bitcoin to you?

Here is the id: 1J8MtJ2qQ2GR51VNaniXak6ghzoE953jJx
coinhelper

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 12:15:36 AM

I'm new to buying bitcoins and transferring them. So basically i bought some bitcoins from LocalBitcoins then sent them to my watch only electrum wallet. My BTC balance on electrum says i've got nothing. Does this mean i have lost my BTC forever? Blockchain is showing that they was sent to 2 addresses. I'm sorry if i don't make much sense. I'm very new to this stuff.

A watch-only wallet means that you cannot control the Bitcoins.
This means, you technically no longer own the Bitcoins. If you can contact the owner of the wallet to try and get your Bitcoins then that may work.

If you have ownership of that wallet or the private keys, you are fine!
BradBWA (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 12:25:19 AM

This means, you technically no longer own the Bitcoins. If you can contact the owner of the wallet to try and get your Bitcoins then that may work.

Thanks for the reply. How do i contact the owner?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 12:54:33 AM

Where did you get that wallet from? Did someone else give it to you? Did you create it yourself?

That is an address. Is this your address or is it the address of localbitcoins?

Arcteryx

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 01:44:31 AM

What is the point of having a watch-only wallet? If it doesn't allow you to do what you want with the bitcoins that you have sent to it? It seems it is acting just as a black hole if you send to it they won't be found ever again.

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
Naoko

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 02:36:17 AM

What is the point of having a watch-only wallet? If it doesn't allow you to do what you want with the bitcoins that you have sent to it? It seems it is acting just as a black hole if you send to it they won't be found ever again.

its used is for watching the balance of your paper wallets without being able to spend them

can i ask how you got a watch only address? where did you copied it?
BradBWA (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 10:44:44 AM

Where did you get that wallet from? Did someone else give it to you? Did you create it yourself?

This is the address of Localbitcoins
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 12:06:55 PM

If thats the case than you can send the coins from your localbitcoins account to a wallet you created.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
BradBWA (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 06:26:39 PM

If thats the case than you can send the coins from your localbitcoins account to a wallet you created.
Sorry, i meant that thats the address what sent me the bitcoins
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 07:51:34 PM

When you say "send me", do you mean to one of your addresses? If so, which address of yours are you talking about? How did you create said address?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 11:58:36 PM

What is your address then? Where did you get the watch only wallet from?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: