Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:38:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Banking Lawyers Invest in Bitcoin exchange  (Read 5522 times)
imfed (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 09:14:10 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2012, 11:01:39 AM by imfed

Bitcoin exchange VirWoX is controlled by a well known Austrian law firm that is specialized in banking and business law.

VirWoX is operated by Virtual World Services GmbH in Vienna, Austria, which is owned by HBA Beteiligungs GmbH, an investment vehicle that was registered at the address of law firm HBA (Held Berdnik Astner & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH) based in Graz.

HBA was founded by Dr. Guido Held (born 1944), a well connected Austrian lawyer who recently received 4,6 Mio. Euro from the Austrian Ministry of Finance to investigate the failure of the Austrian bank Hypo Alpe Adria. He was president of the Styrian Chamber of Lawyers and candidate for the Austrian Parliament (Link: PDF, page 21) for the Austrian Conservatives (ÖVP). The current Minister of Finance is also member of ÖVP. HBA employs about 50 lawyers with offices in Graz, Vienna and Klagenfurt.

Full article: http://imfed.org/2012/12/03/austrian-banking-lawyers-invest-in-bitcoin-exchange/

In our opinion VirWoX's business model (trading BTC only with "playmoney currency" SLL) has the lowest risk of being shut down by a government for regulatory reasons. A high profile law firm as official owner (or trustee) should be able to sustain low compliance risk.

What do you think? Are banking lawyers the right owners for a Bitcoin exchange?
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 09:23:49 AM

I believe they are right:

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 07:28:00 AM

It all depends if they are competent banking lawyers, anything else doesn't matter, I have nothing against banking by itself, I just hate central banking propped up by governments.
imfed (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 10:27:02 PM

It all depends if they are competent banking lawyers, anything else doesn't matter, I have nothing against banking by itself, I just hate central banking propped up by governments.

It seems that they know the national and European laws and how to deal with the Austrian Financial Markets Authority (FMA). Other exchanges like Bitstamp (Slovenia) or Mt.Gox (Japan, Poland, Delaware) are more likely to be shut down by regulators.

It's interesting to see that the only exchange that offers anonymous deposits via Paysafecard or Ukash has built a secure legal framework for their business model.
Rob E

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 10:42:56 PM

Well this is a bit like saying are nazis the right owners of jewish shops. .
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2012, 10:48:42 PM

So you agree?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 10:11:52 PM

Most if not all investment vehicles are registered at the address of record of the law firm that prepares their paperwork. This alone does not imply ownership.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 04:04:31 AM

Alright. I'm invoking Godwin's Law. This thread has ended.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 01:12:10 PM

Your attempted thread genocide is duly noted.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Haole

Activity: 125

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 01:14:21 AM

Your attempted thread genocide is duly noted.

Your avatar makes me horny, who is that?  Thank-you.

"The future isn't what it used to be." - Yogi Berra
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 01:17:06 AM

Hannah Wiggins iirc was the name someone mentioned once.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2012, 01:24:26 AM

Hannah Wiggins iirc was the name someone mentioned once.

https://twitter.com/aichelux

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Rob E

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 12:58:22 PM

Godwin's "law" is just a claim. . Not a Law. .  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: