Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:14:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you support the death penalty?
Yes - 17 (41.5%)
No - 24 (58.5%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you support or oppose the death penalty?  (Read 5772 times)
daarul50
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1034

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 04:27:53 AM

Yes and no. I support the death penalty in theory, but I'm opposed to it in practice.
Let me elaborate: I believe that certain people are worthy of capital punishment (the death penalty) which in my opinion include murderers, terrorists, and child rapists.
However, based on the current court system we have adopted, it actually costs more to sentence someone to death than it does to keep them in prison for life because when a person is sentenced to death, they are allowed appellate attorneys at the tax payers expense in order to give them the leeway to prove their innocence often through forensic evidence or DNA labs.
On top of that, capital punishment has not been proven to deter the crime rate of murder, terrorism, rape, or any other violent felony. If it were to actually reduce such violent crimes, I think it might be worth our tax money going to each death sentencing, but it doesn't.
Basically, I think it would more logical to either adopt another system to reduce government spending on capital punishment or do away with it altogether.
No wonder so many people are so split on this issue, right?
take charge, maybe that's the problem.
but if allowed to continue will not make the deterrent effect that will perform the same actions.
I think the money is not a problem to execute people like murderers and terrorists

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 08:27:16 AM

that is why death penalty is necessary to punish such criminals

A 13-month-old girl was sexually assaulted by her father shortly before her sudden death in December 2012, a judge has ruled.

http://news.sky.com/story/1625559/toddler-abused-by-dad-before-sudden-death

Remember Kennedy v. Louisiana?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_v._Louisiana

The savagery shown by the perpetrator (Patrick O. Kennedy) was outright shocking, and the jury had no option but to award him the death penalty. But then the human rights organizations made such a hue and cry, and finally his death sentence was overturn.

"Kennedy was sentenced to death after being convicted of raping and sodomizing his eight-year-old stepdaughter. The rape was uncommonly brutal: it tore the victim's perineum "from her vaginal opening to her anal opening. [It] tore her vagina on the interior such that it separated partially from her cervix and allowed her rectum to protrude into her vagina. Invasive emergency surgery was required to repair these injuries."

If anyone think that this monster deserved something other than death penalty, then he needs to consult a psychiatrist immediately.

That's rather extreme for sure. But I don't think he deserves death (from a justice point of view). He deserves lifetime jail (real one).

Why? Because if he's guilty he will live an horrible live (I don't even want to imagine what happens to pedophiles in prison) and pay every day for his crime. And if he's innocent he'll still be alive if his innocence is ever proved.

The fact is that a dead man or a man in jail for the rest of his life both causes no threat to society. One costs some money yeah, but that's not a huge amount at all.
And you can never be "perfectly sure" that somebody is innocent. Even DNA lies sometimes you know Wink

Let the punishment match the crime. Let there be as much pain as he dished out. Let there be enough horror as he caused, to be caused in him. Let there be death to match the death that he caused.

He stole the property of someone. Let him be deprived of his property to the same extent, or more to make up for inconvenience he caused.

Let a jury of common people decide the details.

Smiley

You're confusing justice and revenge man. Not the same thing. Justice is here to be sure that one will not be a threat to the society after he was found responsible of a crime.

And you all forget ONE thing: on average, at least 5% of people sentenced to death in the USA are found totally innocent.
So you're going to torture and then kill someone, knowing on 100 people you torture and kill, 5 will be innocent?

That's why death penalty is barbaric. It's because from times to times, a random innocent citizen is killed. Just because he was at the wrong place at the wrong moment.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3780
Merit: 1373

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 09:37:22 AM

that is why death penalty is necessary to punish such criminals

A 13-month-old girl was sexually assaulted by her father shortly before her sudden death in December 2012, a judge has ruled.

http://news.sky.com/story/1625559/toddler-abused-by-dad-before-sudden-death

Remember Kennedy v. Louisiana?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_v._Louisiana

The savagery shown by the perpetrator (Patrick O. Kennedy) was outright shocking, and the jury had no option but to award him the death penalty. But then the human rights organizations made such a hue and cry, and finally his death sentence was overturn.

"Kennedy was sentenced to death after being convicted of raping and sodomizing his eight-year-old stepdaughter. The rape was uncommonly brutal: it tore the victim's perineum "from her vaginal opening to her anal opening. [It] tore her vagina on the interior such that it separated partially from her cervix and allowed her rectum to protrude into her vagina. Invasive emergency surgery was required to repair these injuries."

If anyone think that this monster deserved something other than death penalty, then he needs to consult a psychiatrist immediately.

That's rather extreme for sure. But I don't think he deserves death (from a justice point of view). He deserves lifetime jail (real one).

Why? Because if he's guilty he will live an horrible live (I don't even want to imagine what happens to pedophiles in prison) and pay every day for his crime. And if he's innocent he'll still be alive if his innocence is ever proved.

The fact is that a dead man or a man in jail for the rest of his life both causes no threat to society. One costs some money yeah, but that's not a huge amount at all.
And you can never be "perfectly sure" that somebody is innocent. Even DNA lies sometimes you know Wink

Let the punishment match the crime. Let there be as much pain as he dished out. Let there be enough horror as he caused, to be caused in him. Let there be death to match the death that he caused.

He stole the property of someone. Let him be deprived of his property to the same extent, or more to make up for inconvenience he caused.

Let a jury of common people decide the details.

Smiley

You're confusing justice and revenge man. Not the same thing. Justice is here to be sure that one will not be a threat to the society after he was found responsible of a crime.

And you all forget ONE thing: on average, at least 5% of people sentenced to death in the USA are found totally innocent.
So you're going to torture and then kill someone, knowing on 100 people you torture and kill, 5 will be innocent?

That's why death penalty is barbaric. It's because from times to times, a random innocent citizen is killed. Just because he was at the wrong place at the wrong moment.

Justice is giving to one in like manner as he gave.

Mistaken justice in the U.S. is the reason why I suggest that if anyone intentionally causes an innocent person to die, he should be executed as well.

The barbaric part is what a guilty person does when murders someone. His execution is justice. What? Are you hoping they never find out how many people you have murdered?

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 10:15:25 AM

People all over the world are taking other peoples lives so they should be punished and have to go through the trauma their victims did! Why do people think it's acceptable to murder someone? I only think the death penalty should be brought on the worst crimes such as murder.If a man has taken the life of another man then he deserves death.

i oppose death penalty just because of thinking death is a salvation of these evil people.. for me they have to suffer a pang of conscience till the end of their lifes.

i don't think they'd have conscience still. monsters who kills a child after raping don't have it anymore.

I would rather consider sending them to work without pay, maybe manually digging stone tunnels while feet are chained, locking them to a small box cell just enough to lay around.

Good idea. But let's not go too far or we'll be like them. Meet torture with torture, and death with death. Make the punishment fit the crime.

Smiley
They will get credits for digging stone tunnels by the way, this isn't sort of a punishment but an opportunity for them to help their countrymen.  I'm sure that's not a torture and they do have the rights to kill themselves anyway, that freedom isn't taken away still.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
mOgliE
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 11:18:06 AM

Mistaken justice in the U.S. is the reason why I suggest that if anyone intentionally causes an innocent person to die, he should be executed as well.

The barbaric part is what a guilty person does when murders someone. His execution is justice. What? Are you hoping they never find out how many people you have murdered?

Smiley

Thanks for totally ignoring my main argument which is saying that 5% of people sentenced to death are proven innocent...

And your conception of justice is 2 millennials old. The talion law is a matter of barbaric countries you know?

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 02:50:59 PM

Smiley

Thanks for totally ignoring my main argument which is saying that 5% of people sentenced to death are proven innocent...
You are most graciously welcome. And more so since I didn't know that I was doing that. And even more so since there is no indication that such was an argument or even a main one.

And your conception of justice is 2 millennials old. The talion law is a matter of barbaric countries you know?

The structure and thinking of people has not changed since the Beginning, except that people are deteriorating a little faster than they were for the first 2,000 years of the existence of mankind. The fact that you desire ignorance rather than justice, and the fact that you desire imposing your ignorance others (if you can) rather than returning to a state of knowledge, shows how fast you - there must be many others like you - are devolving towards pure foolishness, and ultimately, pure stagnance.

The good point about you and people like you, you will soon be unable to affect anything, but will need to rely on the good graces of the thinking people who run the home you are in.

Smiley

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
butragenjo

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

I oppose,because its not normal anyway. Only God can referee Smiley
mOgliE
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:04:05 PM

You are most graciously welcome. And more so since I didn't know that I was doing that. And even more so since there is no indication that such was an argument or even a main one.

Well you quoted me saying so. So you just forgot what you read? And you're ignoring it again...

The structure and thinking of people has not changed since the Beginning, except that people are deteriorating a little faster than they were for the first 2,000 years of the existence of mankind. The fact that you desire ignorance rather than justice, and the fact that you desire imposing your ignorance others (if you can) rather than returning to a state of knowledge, shows how fast you - there must be many others like you - are devolving towards pure foolishness, and ultimately, pure stagnance.

What the fuck man? For you we didn't change anything in our way of thinking in 2 000 years? Oo
And you're ok with torturing and killing 5% of innocent people in the middle of the guilty ones??

The good point about you and people like you, you will soon be unable to affect anything, but will need to rely on the good graces of the thinking people who run the home you are in.

Smiley
Hmm... I'm an engineer and I run the home in which I live thanks  Undecided
I don't rely on anyone...

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 04:32:38 PM

You are wrong about the violence inside the prisons. Some of the pedophiles are targeted for sure, but no one is going to do anything to this 300 pound monster. And prison rapes and all mostly targets the weakest, such as whites and those in their teens. On the other hand, in all probability this guy will be raping other prisoners if sent to the prison. 
Gronthaing
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 02:56:24 AM

I support death penalty for it helps prevent people from committing a crime, maybe minimize the number of crimes. I think people will rethink before committing a crime when they are reminded by the penalty.

It should be remembered that death penalty is frequently used as a mode of punishment in two of the countries with the lowest crime rates (Japan and Singapore) in the world. On the other hand, the countries with the highest crime rates (South Africa, Honduras, Venezuela.etc) are the ones which had recently abolished the death penalty.

Japan also has what? 99% conviction rate or something? Maybe not a good example with police torturing suspects and all. The system there doesn't work like it should. And in south africa hasn't the homicide rate been decreasing since they abolished the death penalty? Don't know about all crime but think that is the case for homicides. Honduras and venezuela didn't abolish the death penalty recently. And are very unstable countries. Death penalty is the least of their problems.
Pwerd

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 11:24:32 AM

I don't see the death penalty as punishment. Taking away someone's freedom, that's punishment.
I know that in some prison it's not even punishment anymore, I wish for this to change as well.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 01:31:53 PM

I don't see the death penalty as punishment. Taking away someone's freedom, that's punishment.
I know that in some prison it's not even punishment anymore, I wish for this to change as well.

Practically speaking, if someone murders, how can we ever be sure that he will not do it again? We can't even be sure that a non-murderer will not become a murderer.

Why make society pay to keep the murderer in prison through taxation? Get rid of him, and make society free from both, his murderous activity, and free from paying to support him.

Smiley

mOgliE
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 01:35:29 PM

Practically speaking, if someone murders, how can we ever be sure that he will not do it again? We can't even be sure that a non-murderer will not become a murderer.

Why make society pay to keep the murderer in prison through taxation? Get rid of him, and make society free from both, his murderous activity, and free from paying to support him.

Smiley

Yeah get rid of it. Doesn't matter that there is at least 5% chance that he's innocent. It's ok to kill few innocents if on a whole you kill guilty ones.

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 02:17:03 PM

Smiley

Yeah get rid of it. Doesn't matter that there is at least 5% chance that he's innocent. It's ok to kill few innocents if on a whole you kill guilty ones.

When we enact the required death penalty law for those who intentionally cause innocent people to be executed, the innocently executed rate will fall way down to near zero.

Smiley

mOgliE
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 02:55:18 PM

Smiley

When we enact the required death penalty law for those who intentionally cause innocent people to be executed, the innocently executed rate will fall way down to near zero.

Smiley

Dude...
How should it make it smaller? Currently the 5% correspond to innocent people wrongly accused! Justice mistakes!
It always happens, it's part of the system. It's why most civilized countries stopped death penalty.

You have an idea to make justice so perfect it won't do any mistakes? Well great but please share it! Cause we don't!

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 03:17:48 PM

Smiley

Smiley

Dude...
How should it make it smaller? Currently the 5% correspond to innocent people wrongly accused! Justice mistakes!
It always happens, it's part of the system. It's why most civilized countries stopped death penalty.

You have an idea to make justice so perfect it won't do any mistakes? Well great but please share it! Cause we don't!

Innocent death execution often comes about because law enforcement and attorneys withhold evidence or construe evidence in ways that mislead. And they know that they are doing this. So, if they are found to be doing this, and if someone is executed because of this, the perpetrators of an innocent execution should be executed as well.

Of what benefit will this be? It will cause law enforcement and attorneys to be fearful for their lives so that they stop doing this. The will present all the evidence factually. Factual evidence will keep innocent people from dying by execution.

Obviously there will be mistakes. But the mistakes will be a lot less with legal people being afraid of execution so that they will work hard at not making mistakes.

What is so hard to understand about this? You keep proving by what you say that either you are of low intelligence (nothing wrong with that), or that you are intent on mischief.

Smiley

Betwrong
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 2151

I stand with Ukraine.

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 03:26:22 PM

People all over the world are taking other peoples lives so they should be punished and have to go through the trauma their victims did! Why do people think it's acceptable to murder someone? I only think the death penalty should be brought on the worst crimes such as murder. If a man has taken the life of another man then he deserves death.

What about medical malpractice or medical error even? Do you think the person who mistakenly took someone's life still deserves the death penalty? What about road traffic accidents? Does a policeman or a sooldier deserves the death penalty if he took a life?

This is a very complex question and I voted NO, because I think it is better to let a murderer to live in some cases than occasionally kill innocent people.

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
mOgliE
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 03:27:25 PM

After proving the existence of God in 3 lines, now you proved that Justice can be easily made nearly perfect!

Go on man, why don't you try to run as a president? I mean it seems to you that you have the answers to questions that Humanity never managed to answer, so go on xD

OR MAYBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE maybe question yourself a bit. Just a bit. Just enough to understand that Justice is not mislead by "enforcement and attorneys withhold evidence or construe evidence in ways that mislead". And anyway how would you prove they're doing this on purpose? How can you know it's not just an accident? And how do you define "misleading"? Cause an attorney job is to use everything to help his client, so where is the limit between misleading and just doing its job?

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 03:31:26 PM

People all over the world are taking other peoples lives so they should be punished and have to go through the trauma their victims did! Why do people think it's acceptable to murder someone? I only think the death penalty should be brought on the worst crimes such as murder. If a man has taken the life of another man then he deserves death.

What about medical malpractice or medical error even? Do you think the person who mistakenly took someone's life still deserves the death penalty? What about road traffic accidents? Does a policeman or a sooldier deserves the death penalty if he took a life?

This is a very complex question and I voted NO, because I think it is better to let a murderer to live in some cases than occasionally kill innocent people.

Don't immediately turn off your mind because I mention "Bible," but the solution in the Old Testament was to have several cities that were designated for people to be sent to if they had committed accidental death of someone. They were not allowed to leave the city for an average of 25 years.

The cities were not prisons. They were entirely free within the city walls. But certainly the regular people within those cities were prepared to test out any newcomers to find out if those newcomers were really murderers, or if they were simply victims of circumstance.

Smiley

enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
January 21, 2016, 03:33:06 PM

maybe the government should execute death in a brutal way so people will consider it punishment, right?
shooting them by a firing squad seem a bit a swift death. electrocution is easy so as the lethal injection.
 Hanging by the neck until they die isn't brutal, in fact one will even do it to themselves.

Maybe cutting limb by limb will do. or feed them by the hungry dogs as far as i know Chinese do this.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: