Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:20:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I'm actually going to boycott mainstream televised news  (Read 5587 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:30:01 PM

If that's the right term for it anyway, I've just switched it off, I'm done, I never thought I could find something that could seriously upset me enough that I would just switch it all off and just listen to music or silence for awhile. While Newtown was a terrible tragedy, it wasn't the killing that did it for me even though that was bad, it was the way a bunch of absolute opportunistic cunts immediately descended on the whole situation. Using it as an excuse to call for whatever bullshit legislation they could come up with, the mainstream television also paraded it around like crazy even more than usual and I think that's when I finally snapped on it, there was a fucking massacre of children and all every one of them did was. Well I'm still searching for the word for it because it was just so disgusting.

So in short:

. I'm sick of politicians appearing after every disaster promising everything will be okay and only acting civil to their fellow human beings in those situations

. I'm tired of the vulture lobby groups who use every single horror story to push their agenda rather than find the real cause like a doctor/scientist would and fix the problems

. I'm fed up with the mainstream news on television taking advantage of all of these situations and parading it around when there are other issues they can talk about or report on, why is it that they can find information on murders in very local areas and never report on anything else?

So yeah, I'm going to ditch mainstream news in favour of written articles because then I don't have to listen to the news reporters being loud, obnoxious and insensitive about everything horrible in the world, something interesting has happened as well, I actually feel a hell of a lot calmer and more relaxed now, maybe you guys should try it and see what happens? Bet you'll feel a lot better about what's going on in the world, I think the only thing I'm going to do now is take to what Jon Stewart does and just laugh at the media for the way they do all this, he has the right idea.
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:33:19 PM

I'm boycotting TV since 2002  Grin

For your information, most written articles are relaying same news than the mainstream media.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:34:29 PM

I should have done it back then, it's fucking disgusting seriously.
SaintFlow

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:34:37 PM

haven't had a television in 8 years

don't let me make you question your assumptions
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:35:18 PM

I don't have a TV since 3 Years. And haven't missed it one second.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:35:27 PM

As soon as dsl over 3 mbps hit my area I disconnected tvs in my house and hooked them to pcs. 2001 I think that was.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 04:41:17 PM

I'll just add to the chorus of "Yes, that's a good idea."

I use my TV to watch DVDs. Maybe the occasional sci-fi show. That's pretty much it. Haven't watched the news at my own home in well over a decade. Don't miss it in the least.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 05:22:47 PM

haven't had a television in 8 years

+1  Smiley

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:02:34 PM

Haven't had a TV in about 10 years either.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:06:24 PM

Haven't used a TV since 2007 Smiley

Signature space available for rent.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:08:46 PM

I am also sickened to see the "news" swarm all over the grieving.  Not to help, not to inform, but rather to keep you watching through the commercials. Add to that every politician with a tactical jacket falling over each other to get on TV and rescue us via legislation.
Uugh. It's the media tragedy that follows every real tragedy.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:22:42 PM

I've just switched it off, I'm done,

Good for you.  Welcome to Recovery.

Turning of  "the nooz" is like quitting cigarettes or turning off a kitchen blender.

Peace.  Quiet.  Senses return.  The atmosphere in your home becomes more pleasant.  You can think more clearly.  Life seems less like a mad rush of work, eat, repeat.   Intrusion by people thousands of miles away who don't matter stops.

I replaced my television with a combination of HDMI cable, XBMC, utorrent, videodownload helper, and selected content from http://www.google.com/#q=documentary+films

There is actually an amazing amount of content you can download for free to chill with on the couch in the evening.

This $25 remote control USB dongle made it perfect...  http://flirc.tv

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 06:36:39 PM

No Agenda
http://www.noagendashow.com/
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 06:38:42 PM

An excellent source of current events information.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Charlie Prime

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 06:51:51 PM

To NoAgenda add...

http://www.corbettreport.com

plus

http://peacerevolution.podomatic.com

and you've got a nice set of curated content that covers topical events.

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2012, 07:40:04 PM

I only turn on TV to watch 20 weeks of NFL football, presidential debates and the NBA finals.  I spend my free time reading history and other various old texts, along with contemplating the thinking about issues we have faced and face today.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
asdf

Activity: 527

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 09:39:47 PM

I boycotted mainstream news and television years ago.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 11:56:34 PM

No human institution in all of history has more utterly failed at it's stated purpose than the american press of the 20th and 21st centuries.
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 12:08:18 AM

You really were still watching the sockpuppet shows?

I haven't watched one of those since 9/11, and I already didn't before that (that day it was impossible not to watch because the boob tube disease was everywhere).
Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 12:09:02 AM

No human institution in all of history has more utterly failed at it's stated purpose than the american press of the 20th and 21st centuries.

I would suggest that governments failed more catastrophically at their stated purpose of protecting their citizenry, by murdering their own populace to the tune of 273 million corpses, just in the 20th century, excluding wars.

But to each its own.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: