Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 09:50:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking  (Read 5256 times)
relq

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 09:51:46 AM

The most used way by hackers is that they install a keylogger on your computer through software that you have downloaded somewhere. If you login to your wallet, all the keys u clicked will be sent to them, also your password and wallet information. So they login and steal your coins, as easy as that.
Another way would be brute force, to prevent this from happening, you need a strong password with much charachters and special numbers/symbols and uppercase and lowercase. To prevent keylogging, do not download anything fishy or from a non reliable source!

Don't forget that Microsoft has installed a keylogger in Windows 10.

Wow i don't know that microsoft has installed keylogger in windows 10. Actually it's easy to prevent hacker, don't download something that suspicious and download anti malware and spyware.
PartsSlinger

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 02:20:37 PM

The most used way by hackers is that they install a keylogger on your computer through software that you have downloaded somewhere. If you login to your wallet, all the keys u clicked will be sent to them, also your password and wallet information. So they login and steal your coins, as easy as that.
Another way would be brute force, to prevent this from happening, you need a strong password with much charachters and special numbers/symbols and uppercase and lowercase. To prevent keylogging, do not download anything fishy or from a non reliable source!

Wow I'm glad I didn't install 10. Is there at least an option to turn it off?

yes there are soem guide, on how to turn off cortina and everything in the privacy windows

but i doubt win 10 will ever steal your private key, it's as good as the best fud out there about the value of bitcoin...

I don't think win 10 would try and steal my keys, but at the same time if you have a factory installed keylogger wouldn't that make it easier for a potential hacker to find your information once he is inside your system?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 03:46:34 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2016, 07:46:35 AM by Amph

yes there are soem guide, on how to turn off cortina and everything in the privacy windows

but i doubt win 10 will ever steal your private key, it's as good as the best fud out there about the value of bitcoin...

I don't think win 10 would try and steal my keys, but at the same time if you have a factory installed keylogger wouldn't that make it easier for a potential hacker to find your information once he is inside your system?

you mean someone malicious from microsoft employees? because another hacker if he install his keylogger it certainly won't benefit too much by the fact that windows 10 has already one...
PartsSlinger

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 03:52:10 PM

you mena someone malicious from microsoft employees? because another hacker if he install his keylogger it certainly won't benefit to much by the fact that windows 10 has already one...

Fair point, but even in your scenario it still doesn't make me want to have a factory installed keylogger. I can promise you not everyone at microsoft is a saint and people get ripped off all the time by malicious employees.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 07:42:07 PM

you mena someone malicious from microsoft employees? because another hacker if he install his keylogger it certainly won't benefit to much by the fact that windows 10 has already one...

Fair point, but even in your scenario it still doesn't make me want to have a factory installed keylogger. I can promise you not everyone at microsoft is a saint and people get ripped off all the time by malicious employees.

Haha you mean those microsoft call center scams from India.

Haha those guys might be real microsoft employees, but they are just part-time scammers trying to earn an extra buck Cheesy

knightkon

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 01:38:57 AM

I keep seeing all these posts that someone can hack my wallet.  First I did not think that this could be done?  If it can be done, how can I prevent it from happening?  Does my wallet need to be online in order for them to be able to hack it or can they still hack a paper wallet?

It is possible that someone can just guess or brute force your private key. The chance however is so small you might as well call it impossible. Its as likely as someone winning the lottery several times in a row and will for all we know never happen as long as the sun is still burning.

Other than that it mostly depends on the way you use your machine. As AllInCrypto said if the machine that you use to control your wallet is infected by malware, its easy for the attacker to spend your coins. Its however not "easy" to infect a modern, well updated system, unless you do something to help the malware. Commonly bitcoin related malware will require you to execute it yourself, so be careful what you download and use.
Just reading through and have to question how someone could brute force your private key?  I of coarse do not understand what the private key is nor do I understand what brute force means, but the thread interested me.

███████████████████████████
██████████▄▄███▄▄██████████
████████▄█████████▄████████
██████▄█████████████▄██████
█████▄███████████████▄█████
█████▀███████████████▀█████
███████▀███████████▀███████
█████████▀███████▀█████████
███████████▀███▀███████████
.BITAMP..
   BITAMP BITCOIN WALLET   
Easy to use, client-side, &
open-source Bitcoin wallet
████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄████████
████▄▀▀▀   ▄▄█▄▄   ▀▀▀▄████
█████ ▀▄▄▀▀     ▀▀▄▄▀ █████
█████  █    ███    █  █████
█████  █   ▄███▄   █  █████
█████  █  ███████  █  █████
████▀▄ ▀▄ ███████ ▄▀ ▄▀████
█████▀▄ ▀▄       ▄▀ ▄▀█████
██████▀▄  ▀▄▄ ▄▄▀  ▄▀██████
████████▀▄   █   ▄▀████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▀▀██████████
████▄▀▀▀▄  ▄███▄  ▄▀▀▀▄████
█████   █ ▐█████▌ █   █████
███▄▄▀ ▀▄  ▀███▀  ▄▀ ▀▄▄███
██      ▄██▀▀▀██▄      ███
██     ███▄███ ███     ███
███▄▄▄▄ █████▄▄████ ▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████████████
█████████████████▄▄▄▄█▄████
███████████████████████▀███
█████▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄████████
███████▄▀  ▄█▄█▄  ▀▄███████
██████▄▀   █    █  ▀▄██████
███████    █▀▀▀▀▄   ███████
██████▀▄   █    █  ▄▀██████
███████▀▄  ▀█▀█▀  ▄▀███████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄█████
███▄███████████████████████
████▀█▀▀▀▀█████████████████
|SECURE
ANONYMOUS
INSTANT
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 07:47:27 AM

yeah that's true, i would only store a small amount on windows 10 as it is right now, until they can sort this mess at 100%

better to avoid it and use linux/win 7 for the time being
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 09:26:05 AM

I keep seeing all these posts that someone can hack my wallet.  First I did not think that this could be done?  If it can be done, how can I prevent it from happening?  Does my wallet need to be online in order for them to be able to hack it or can they still hack a paper wallet?

It is possible that someone can just guess or brute force your private key. The chance however is so small you might as well call it impossible. Its as likely as someone winning the lottery several times in a row and will for all we know never happen as long as the sun is still burning.

Other than that it mostly depends on the way you use your machine. As AllInCrypto said if the machine that you use to control your wallet is infected by malware, its easy for the attacker to spend your coins. Its however not "easy" to infect a modern, well updated system, unless you do something to help the malware. Commonly bitcoin related malware will require you to execute it yourself, so be careful what you download and use.
Just reading through and have to question how someone could brute force your private key?  I of coarse do not understand what the private key is nor do I understand what brute force means, but the thread interested me.

A private key is just a number. So lets assume the possible numbers for a private key are between 1 and 4. I dont know your private key, but I just test all 4. Thats a brute force attack. I just try all possible combinations and see if I hit the jackpot. Of course with bitcoin the number is significantly bigger. There are 2256 = 115792089237316195423570985008687907853269984665640564039457584007913129639936 possible private keys. Roughly one for every 1000 atoms in the known universe[1]. This makes guessing your private key possible with infinite time and resources. We dont have infinite time and resources though, so we can consider it impossible.

[1] http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2%5E256

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
qWark

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 01:15:36 PM

It could be brute forced, but the amount of time it would take to crack it would be ridicules.

I doubt anyone would try unless it was for thousands of bitcoins.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 02:41:22 PM

It could be brute forced, but the amount of time it would take to crack it would be ridicules.

I doubt anyone would try unless it was for thousands of bitcoins.

Yes, and the probability that you find it before that is also slim.

Because probably the private key will be in the latter half of the number range, because nobody will put a small number for it like 92532

Kyrish

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:13:12 PM

Hello, xmax! There are really some ways of hacking into your wallet... One of the most widely spread methods is using some keylogger software. There are several free tools available now like the one from Spyrix. You should be aware of such things because they log all the keystrokes and passwords when installed. I've used some keyloggers for monitoring purposes, so I know how they work Smiley Just be sure that there is no any suspicious software on your PC and install a good anti-virus
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:27:22 PM

Wow i don't know that microsoft has installed keylogger in windows 10. Actually it's easy to prevent hacker, don't download something that suspicious and download anti malware and spyware.
Yes, that is true. Microsoft is gathering telemetry data and know everything you do on your Windows 10. Win 10 has keylogger build in by default, you can however try to disable it by using various 'no spy addons'.
But if you own bitcoin I would not be worried about Microsoft, they won't steal your bitcoins, they just like to spy on you.
BTcoint

Activity: 553

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:46:52 PM

Yes, that is true. Microsoft is gathering telemetry data and know everything you do on your Windows 10. Win 10 has keylogger build in by default, you can however try to disable it by using various 'no spy addons'.
But if you own bitcoin I would not be worried about Microsoft, they won't steal your bitcoins, they just like to spy on you.
so that means Linux and android operating systems are safer than microsoft products
e.g . Microsoft windows 10
thank

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 11:19:18 PM

so that means Linux and android operating systems are safer than microsoft products
e.g . Microsoft windows 10
thank
As far as I know Microsoft added telemetry spying functionality to their older systems: Vista, 7, 8 via Microsoft Updates are not safe anymore.
Currently probably only Windows XP is free from spying eyes of Microsoft but that is because this system is ancient.
But then again, stop worrying about Microsoft, they are not gonna steal your money. Be sure to not install unknown  software or visit strange sites instead.
RealBitcoin

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 02:54:29 AM

As far as I know Microsoft added telemetry spying functionality to their older systems: Vista, 7, 8 via Microsoft Updates are not safe anymore.
Currently probably only Windows XP is free from spying eyes of Microsoft but that is because this system is ancient.
But then again, stop worrying about Microsoft, they are not gonna steal your money. Be sure to not install unknown  software or visit strange sites instead.

I`m not so sure about that, if it's in the shadows, and bitcoin gets big, they can easily steal money, and blame it on hackers. Or one of their rogue employees starts stealing.

Or even if they not, any hacker can just hijack their keylogger systems and steal that way, either way it stinks badly.

nelia57

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:17:15 AM

that's scary, I bought a new laptop with Windows 10, made my first few paper wallets there Sad
sakira

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 06:07:25 AM

I had been quite safe to use wallet Blockchain.info and add security use Google Authenticator (2FA).
if you always play altcoins trading and download a wallet, be careful there is usually some viruses such as keylogger or other dangerous viruses
Paracelsus

Activity: 347
Merit: 250

Activity: 2017

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 02:21:36 PM

Yes those keyloggers are worse than anything and you can get it by clicking on links,
also here on this forum we have lot of scammers training to get your account and rob your coins.. Angry
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 03:31:26 PM

Yes those keyloggers are worse than anything and you can get it by clicking on links,
also here on this forum we have lot of scammers training to get your account and rob your coins.. Angry

use zemana for simple keylogger, it hide yourkeystroke, pretty convenient

for keylogger that take screen or stuff like that you need soemthing else, but i think the full version of zemana can handle all of them
arbitrage

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 01:38:05 PM

Can you get malwares and keylogers if you downloading movies via torrents?
Will antivirus react on it?
Someone have experience with this?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: