Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 12:06:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking  (Read 5256 times)
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 06, 2016, 06:46:02 PM

-snip-
I see, well, dont print out sensitive info with 3rd party printers ever.

There are many shops that offer printing services, but one has to be a fool to print out sentitive data with them.

Only use your own printer (not even your neighbors) to print out sensitive data.

I agree, but I think thats where the fear printers might store the data comes from. If someone uses a printer at home and think it might still have sensetive data on it, they could just destroy the printer once its lifetime ended. I also doubt home use printers will have hard disks as they have next to no need to store a large amount of data and it would only increase the price per device.

You can always check the vendor's site and see what specs the printer have, my printer only has a cache that clears every poweroff (worse case scenario after 2 printings).

So if 1 print out a password, I can then print out a photo aftewards and the cache is overwritten.

I`m not sure why any other printer has hard disks, it has no sense, you can just store the config of the printer on your OS with the printing software that you got with the printer. No need to put separate harddisk in the printer itself.

Its very insecure architecture then,

Im talking about something like this

they will store large amounts data and transfer (or recieve them) over a network connection. Sometimes from several users at once and significantly over 100 pages. A harddisk is just a cheap way to store that data. Due to the nature of harddisks the data is available from a long time after it was needed last (unless overwritten).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 06:48:09 PM

-snip-

There are many shops that offer printing services, but one has to be a fool to print out sentitive data with them.

Only use your own printer (not even your neighbors) to print out sensitive data.

I agree, but I think thats where the fear printers might store the data comes from. If someone uses a printer at home and think it might still have sensetive data on it, they could just destroy the printer once its lifetime ended. I also doubt home use printers will have hard disks as they have next to no need to store a large amount of data and it would only increase the price per device.

You can always check the vendor's site and see what specs the printer have, my printer only has a cache that clears every poweroff (worse case scenario after 2 printings).

So if 1 print out a password, I can then print out a photo aftewards and the cache is overwritten.

I`m not sure why any other printer has hard disks, it has no sense, you can just store the config of the printer on your OS with the printing software that you got with the printer. No need to put separate harddisk in the printer itself.

---
they will store large amounts data and transfer (or recieve them) over a network connection. Sometimes from several users at once and significantly over 100 pages. A harddisk is just a cheap way to store that data. Due to the nature of harddisks the data is available from a long time after it was needed last (unless overwritten).

So its a network printer, well that is absolutely not good, and not secure.

That is a huge and direct attack vector, and possible exploits could exist, where hackers could grab your printers cache and send it to them via internet.

Nope, dont use that folks.

Laosai

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 01:00:20 AM

I keep seeing all these posts that someone can hack my wallet.  First I did not think that this could be done?  If it can be done, how can I prevent it from happening?  Does my wallet need to be online in order for them to be able to hack it or can they still hack a paper wallet?

Your wallet can't be hacked, your pc can.
A wallet is totally secured, it would cost billions time more energy to hack it than what there is inside even if you earn thousands of btc.

But your pc can get a trojan installed or a keylogger then someone will access manually to your wallet, but the same way they could (and they will) access your bank accounts in fact.

Paracelsus

Activity: 347

Activity: 2017

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 10:17:27 PM

Think we have more people's stupidity than hacking special abilities..
john2231

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 04:26:49 AM

Hacking is not the good way to have bitcoins you will be in prison if you do that its better to find another skills like making a website seo or service that you can promote a site.. Or join ins signature campaign to earn some bitcoins..
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:32:52 AM

-snip-

---

That is a huge and direct attack vector, and possible exploits could exist, where hackers could grab your printers cache and send it to them via internet.

well none is using somethign like that for papaer wallet, we use something more personal more small, like any small canon printer or epson

as long as it's for personal usage, i don't see the issue with the memory cache
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:36:31 AM

This is the high risk that bitcoin is facing. Hacking is very serious issue, even there are hackers who are into teaching users how to hack and get into someones account for certain fixed amount. Once a person gets into it he does it continuously which make him master in it. So to get rid of it using offline wallets are better.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
coaltin

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 08:39:09 AM

Well, if a user’s account and password got hacked and he/she did not have ‘two factor authentication’, then he/she does not have a strong position to talk to his/her exchange but I think such a user could at least try to do the blockchain analysis
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:03:37 PM

If you're using bitcoin core, I'd recommend encrypting your wallet.dat file with a password, and encrypting your whole wallet with Veracrypt. It might have flaws, but another layer of security will still slow down any attacker.

I simply use the HW.1 Ledger hardware wallet, it's pretty safe.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 01:04:13 AM

-snip-

---

well none is using somethign like that for papaer wallet, we use something more personal more small, like any small canon printer or epson

as long as it's for personal usage, i don't see the issue with the memory cache

If you use electrum, with seed as a password , which is a passphrase made up of 13 random words.

Then all you need is a pen and paper, or memorize it. It's easy to write down words.

But if the private key is just random characters, then its bad, that needs to be printed out, to avoid misspelling which could cost you your savings.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 06:53:22 AM

This is the high risk that bitcoin is facing. Hacking is very serious issue, even there are hackers who are into teaching users how to hack and get into someones account for certain fixed amount. Once a person gets into it he does it continuously which make him master in it. So to get rid of it using offline wallets are better.

but this is not limited to bitcoin, all the online activity that one does is susceptible to hacking. this can be using bitcoin or using your credit card information. there is a lot of stories about stolen credit cards and all the money laundering that robbers do with those information like buying goods with stolen credit card and selling it for cash.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
jamalaezaz
Copper Member

Activity: 1876
Merit: 533

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 11:13:58 AM

I keep seeing all these posts that someone can hack my wallet.  First I did not think that this could be done?  If it can be done, how can I prevent it from happening?  Does my wallet need to be online in order for them to be able to hack it or can they still hack a paper wallet?

paper wallet is secured to be hacked. if you worried about your online or desktop wallet. than go for a paper wallet.

Available For CM/SMM, Content Writing and Digital Marketing
TG: @jamalaezaz
aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 02:58:58 AM

Be careful with exchanges.  You never know who to trust.  If you use one, don't put much on it.  I lost some bitcoins in Cryptsy.
Shinpako09
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 04:22:19 AM

Hacking is very hard to prevent once they target and focus on yours. The best thing you can do is to split your bitcoin into different addresses you have.
mamansuherman

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:38:08 AM

Hacking is very hard to prevent once they target and focus on yours. The best thing you can do is to split your bitcoin into different addresses you have.

yes it was one of the best ways, do not save all bitcoin on one wallet and also do not forget to always use double security.
Aamir1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 03:24:29 PM

That's right, if you are targeted by a hacker then you can't really save yourself forever, he will not leave you if he see much coins in your wallet, better to split them in different wallets and different places, keep some in cold wallets and some in online wallets. You will feel safer that way.
Aamir1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:12:42 PM

That's right, if you are targeted by a hacker then you can't really save yourself forever, he will not leave you if he see much coins in your wallet, better to split them in different wallets and different places, keep some in cold wallets and some in online wallets. You will feel safer that way.

To be fully safe from a hacker get a paper wallet and put all of your funds onto it, That way a hacker will have zero chance of stealing your coins unless he breaks into your house and knows exactly where to look.

Well i myself never used a paper wallet and i even have no idea about it actually works or how to use one, but it is also safe to split your coins in different wallets because if one get hacked then your other coins will be safe, and try to split them in small parts as you could lose much if any of them get hacked in case.
btcltccoins

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:24:08 PM

Spliting coins in different online wallet is a good idea. Also i recommend to use a strong password.
and never share your password with anyone. Most of the time Hacking is done because of our lack of responsibility.
Follow the best principles of Passwords and your wallet will be safe.
CryptoGore

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

Bitflipy.com - $$_Flip your lucky coin_$$

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 04:31:00 PM

Always secure in offline your private keys or backups.

Never trust any other website which hold your BTC 100%, cuase we seen to many times exchanges and many other services going down with all the investor money.

And to reply to your question an hacker could stole your wallet really easy, so at least protect with a good password, so that it will be nearly impossible to break if it is enough resistant.

▄ ▀ ▄ ▀   BTC FLIP YOUR LUCKY COIN BTC Free credit signup BTC WWW.BITFLIPY.COM BTC  ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●   BitFlipy.com   ●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●
▄ ▀ ▄ ▀  OFFICIAL THREAD   ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
john2231

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 04:42:27 PM

Always secure in offline your private keys or backups.

Never trust any other website which hold your BTC 100%, cuase we seen to many times exchanges and many other services going down with all the investor money.

And to reply to your question an hacker could stole your wallet really easy, so at least protect with a good password, so that it will be nearly impossible to break if it is enough resistant.
I think offline is the best to hold bitcoin. Yeah it is true don't trust any website which hold your bitcoins also the online web wallet there's a possibility that the site will be down and they will announce that their website is hacked..
So offline wallet is still the best to hold bitcoins. and secured it. So that you are in far from hackers..
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: