Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 07:18:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help - Messed up...  (Read 720 times)
Too Fresh (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:24:28 AM

So I'm new to bitcoin and wish I would of read more before starting this... Anyways today I downloaded the original Bitcoin Client. I went to "Receive Coins" and made a new address. I then proceeded to buy 6 BTC and sent them to that address.

Well now I'm here... I never let the blockchain download because originally I had no clue what it was. I'm using a slow netbook (1gb ram) and I know its probably going to take a couple days for the blockchain to download. But I kind of need access to my 6 BTC I bought now. But I can't get to them until the blockchain download completes correct?

Is there anything I can do to get the BTC's now so I can send them to someone? Would I be safe to download the blockchain from here - http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/blockchain/ and importing it? Or am I screwed into having to sit and wait for the blockchain to download in the client?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:27:07 AM

Just let the blockchain download it really isn't that bad.
Too Fresh (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:29:34 AM

It is when I was supposed to have sent the BTC's to someone today =/

Can I somehow transfer my wallet to another (faster) computer to download the blockchain? And would this speed it up?
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:30:30 AM

you can export the private key from your wallet and then import that private key into blockchain.info to get access to your coins earlier.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Too Fresh (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:40:58 AM

you can export the private key from your wallet and then import that private key into blockchain.info to get access to your coins earlier.

Thank you so much man, you just helped me out a ton!

It is when I was supposed to have sent the BTC's to someone today =/

Can I somehow transfer my wallet to another (faster) computer to download the blockchain? And would this speed it up?

Did you explain to them about the situation, and show them the address on blockchain.info that would prove you have the 6 btcs

I did and he wasn't to happy... He said he was really counting on getting them today. But I'm all good now, thanks again drakahn
Dr. McKay

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 04:12:52 AM

I'd advise just using Blockchain.info instead of the desktop application. Since your wallet is already backed up on their servers, there's not much you have to do to keep it safe locally. Plus you don't need to wait for the block chain to download.

Make sure you enable dual encryption or two-factor authentication.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:10:39 AM

Or use Electrum. It's safer than blockchain.info, and yet you don't need to download the blockchain like the original client does.
Too Fresh (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 05:18:08 PM

Or use Electrum. It's safer than blockchain.info, and yet you don't need to download the blockchain like the original client does.

Alright thanks for the tip. Going to try that using that instead for now on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: