Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 10:13:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Bitcoin is and should primarily be a currency, store of wealth, or both?  (Voting closed: January 13, 2016, 04:35:00 PM)
Primarily a currency - 4 (9.8%)
Primarily a store of wealth - 7 (17.1%)
Both - 30 (73.2%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: Bitcoin is/should be a currency, store of wealth, or both  (Read 1374 times)
USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:27:59 AM

currency should be a store of wealth. The fiat system does the opposite however.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2016, 04:44:45 AM

For now store of wealth is the safest option, using it as a currency is difficult currently because there aren't many places it is accepted and it is risky since its easy for swindlers to do their tricks with BTC and get away with it.

jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 05:25:23 PM

bump

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 05:58:04 PM

I think bitcoin was meant for everyday use, but honestly I have not read Bitcoin whitepaper. Once it reaches some stability I think it will be a suitable way to store wealth. I would feel a bit disappointed if Bitcoin was intended to make people rich (as the people waiting for its price to reach thousands want), what would be the difference with altcoins, then?

Satoshi wanted it to be used daily as a currency, but he also understood that since it would be an appreciating asset, people would tend to hoard a lot of it, as opposed to using it to buy stuff you can already buy with fiat.
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 06:16:05 PM

This is not a rip on people in this thread, but I am amazed that this is even discussed.

You can't have one without the other unless you peg the ledger units.

And when I see senior (full, senior, hero, legendary) members screaming that they want Bitcoin/BTC/XBT to exclusively be a store of wealth, my brain hurts.

"I predict the Internet will soon go spectacularly supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse." - Robert Metcalfe, 1995
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 06:43:37 PM

Right now though it is a currency for some, it's primarily a payment rail that's quickly converted. I would've thought it has to prove itself as a store of wealth before it becomes widely used a currency.
ATguy

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 04:40:34 PM

Both, obviously. Bitcoin as store of wealth only would be very tough to make if nobody uses Bitcoin actually as a currency. Think about it, do you store wealth in any random unused altcoin ? I dont and wouldnt.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 05:11:38 PM

Eventually the network will be bottle necked because of the limit of block sizes. But that would only happen if Bitcoin is used more frequently and become a more recognized currency. Currently it is recognized by some governments that have banned it, but other governments are on the sidelines for now with it.

governments have not banned it for personal use. these narrow minded governments have only banned their own financial institutions from investing in it as their financial regulation criteria will not insure any bitcoin holdings..

There also is the large debate on block sizes and changing the limits, this may heat up over time as well.
yep the block limit needs to increase to cope with capacity.. especially if places like supermarkets accept bitcoin, as people will really want to spend it more often

But, based on the bitcoin wiki numbers found here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Scalability
There are a total of 86,400 seconds in a day. The Bitcoin network could handle 7 transactions per second.
So with 86,400 * 7 = 604,800 transactions can be handled.

the 7tx/s is based on 4200 tx a block.. but that equates to 238bytes a tx.. but on average most tx's are bigger and so i prefer the 4000tx/s (576k a day) which divided down to being only 6.66 tx a second.. which technically you cant have a 0.6 of a tx so its rounded up..

edit: agree with below, thats why i prefer the 4000tx a block average potential

But there can be larger and smaller inputs to the network.

A smaller transaction for example, consuming 128 bytes:
https://blockchain.info/tx/830a313d7a17b428c44461e07967bf906b585266c4892417accf718c0d9c3018

The largest block size transaction ever consuming 999,657 bytes:
https://blockchain.info/tx/bb41a757f405890fb0f5856228e23b715702d714d59bf2b1feb70d8b2b4e3e08

But in my opinion, Bitcoin is used as both. It has value as a technology and people invest into that, while also being used as a currency which people use as well.

In the long term I think block size increases do nothing. We need a second layer like the lightning network to be able to deal with the same amount of transaction you are proposing (supermarket worldwides type of use).
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2016, 05:34:24 PM

As Franky has pointed out, being one does not exclude being the other.
So both is the only right answer in my opinion.

nerFohanzo

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 05:54:06 PM

As Franky has pointed out, being one does not exclude being the other.
So both is the only right answer in my opinion.

Exactly, both is the right answer but I would also like to add one point and that is it is also an investment for the future, you are saving your money by buying bitcoins but at the same time it can prove to be an best future investment, and ofcourse it is a currency as it is taking care of basic stuffs like online purchases, online transfers, converting bitcoins to local currency, so for me it is three in one.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: