Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:03:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Have you had 1 or more hash board(s) fail in your batch 8 S7? If so, please specify which.  (Voting closed: April 02, 2016, 05:55:21 PM)
B8 working as expected for less than 2 weeks - 5 (16.1%)
B8 working as expected for more than 2 weeks - 8 (25.8%)
B8 board died within 2 weeks (specify which board failed below) - 4 (12.9%)
B8 board died after more than 2 weeks (specify which board failed below) - 1 (3.2%)
Board 1 died - 4 (12.9%)
Board 2 died - 1 (3.2%)
Board 3 died - 2 (6.5%)
More than 1 board died (Please specify in post) - 1 (3.2%)
I've had a board die from a previous batch (please don't vote above, instead post which batch and board #) - 5 (16.1%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Collecting Data on B8 S7 Failure Rates  (Read 4275 times)
Prelude (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 05:55:21 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2016, 06:22:28 PM by Prelude

It seems B8 S7 is the worst to date, with many failures reported. We can expect B9 to be the same since bitmain indicated B8 was the final design, which leads me to believe that B9 = B8 with a later shipping date.

I personally have 1 dead B8 board, board #3 and it died within 2 weeks of powering it on. I think we'll find that most people with a failure will also be board #3.

Bitmain has, to date, been very slow to respond to my RMA request. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt right now due to the holidays.

If you've had a failure in another batch, you can indicate that by voting for the last option. In that case, I kindly request that you don't cast a second vote to indicate which board # failed, but instead post those details manually in this thread. That will allow us to gather details specifically for B8 in the poll.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marvykkio

Activity: 798

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 06:07:54 PM

fuck I bought 3x s7 batch 8, and tomorrow should send
My god we hope that work well
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 06:11:22 PM

it's called chain in antminer GUI

Chain #1 is far Right then middle is Chain #2 & lasltly Chain #3 is on the Left with miner facing towards you.

2x B8 arrived same day mined only for about 7-8 hours.

1 showed 0 temp with 30 ASIC chips & dashes ----------

2nd was working fine till low hashrate with lots of HW errors

disconnected both problematic board, documented the details with pics & mailed BMT waiting for approval to remove them then more pics to be sent & wait for reply then send it back to BMT.

I think entire process will take a minimum of 2 weeks for boards to return even i'm located in asia.

PSU are dps 2000 bb's, i even swapped them. no good. same issue.

in a couple of hours (GMT +8) china will wake & end of holidays for BMT.

let's see what kind of reply i get.

on another note, 1 of my b5 had a problem too, board arrived to BMT & now more waiting.

Prelude (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 06:19:25 PM

Thanks for posting that info, yslyung.
yslyung
Legendary

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 06:36:17 PM

Thanks for posting that info, yslyung.

no worries mate. sharing is caring.

thx for starting the thread too.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 07:06:05 PM

I could be lucky but B8 I have still has no issues hashing.  I have kinda took it easy on it, no OC or pushing.   Don't know if it matters but using the Bitmain PSU (should not matter).

Only thing that was it seems they truly did mean +10 on efficiency when they put it.  So it had a lower efficiency with lower chips, but guess that is not a failure.
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 07:39:45 PM

I have 2 B8s with no issues, also never overclocked and running Dec 11 firmware. I am wondering if people are overclocking them to death.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
nhando

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 07:48:10 PM

DOES SCREECHING FAN count as a failure?  Also the lack of any response or care for my issue probably could be categorized as a failure regardless of what batch.    Other than that my Batch 8 are running fine for a week.  Still have another 1 to be power up tomorrow, hoping for the best.

Just "Mining" my own business.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 07:54:12 PM

I have one batch 8 that hashed fine for a while then check on them one day after all my rigs failed over from number 1 pool to number 2 pool.  It was hashing at approximately 3,000 GH/s on the number 2 pool.  Eventually, number 1 pool came back up and was "Alive" again but still only 3,000 GH/s [Meaning, 2 boards hashing instead of 3].  I did not see any "x" or "-" for any blades.  I rebooted several times and I simply "save and apply" several times with no success of 4,700 GH/s again.  I disconnected that rig and hooked up another rig to take it's place.  That rig is sitting to the side at the moment.  I'm planning on getting back to checking that rig again later this evening or tomorrow to see if it still has the same issue.  I'll keep you updated.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 07:55:02 PM

DOES SCREECHING FAN count as a failure?  Also the lack of any response or care for my issue probably could be categorized as a failure regardless of what batch.    Other than that my Batch 8 are running fine for a week.  Still have another 1 to be power up tomorrow, hoping for the best.

Unfortunately, I don't think "screeching fan" will count.  Maybe it will.  It's hard to say what they would do...

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
yslyung
Legendary

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 08:12:01 PM

I have 2 B8s with no issues, also never overclocked and running Dec 11 firmware. I am wondering if people are overclocking them to death.

the ones + all the s7 i have are on stock clock. just 7-8 hrs of hashing & gone. sob sob

btw, both failures on b8 is on chain #1 including b5 also chain #1.

1 of the b8 comes with the whooong whooong whoong sound.

placed a small double sided tape on the grill reduced the sound. could've stick another one but it will block the airflow & i'm fine with the reduced whooooong whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong whooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 08:24:37 PM

the ones + all the s7 i have are on stock clock. just 7-8 hrs of hashing & gone. sob sob

placed a small double sided tape on the grill reduced the sound. could've stick another one but it will block the airflow & i'm fine with the reduced whooooong whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong whooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

I had a couple of boards on chain 1 and 2 fail on me from B1. I replaced them but the one on chain #1 failed again, it is in China to be delivered tomorrow. Seems like chain #1 is the source of failure for many.

nhando,

I think it will be cheaper if you replace the fan by yourself, they might want you to send the fan at your cost for RMA.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 09:00:56 PM

I have 4 x B8s in my small farm, they are running but running hot +10c compared to other batches 600mhz.

1. all 7 x S7s are patched with Dec11 FW on 1st Jan 2016.
2. the irritating whoooooo sound has gone away in the last 2 x B8 ordered in mid-Dec (but they are running high temp 68-72c at fans 100%)
3. the whoooo sound in the other earlier 2 x B8 was rectified at 54% fan ratio with acceptable temp ~ 60-65c
4. the rest of the S7s are 600mhz variants, running 55% fan speed (to eliminate the whoooo sound) with 55-65c temps
5. All my S7s are VERTICALLY mounted - stock fans blowing upwards - with 2 box fans running at medium from below the rack.
6. HWE% are very small and I am satisfied with the hashing rate and quite stable to my liking.
7. All fans are stock with no mods.
8. My electrical setup was recently upgraded and all S7s are with dedicated points at 10amp/240v per point. I now have my own separate 120A/240v power distribution board for the miners.
9. The PSU power cord are all standardized with 1.5mm 13AMP/250v BS1363.
10. Each of the S7 are powered by the stock 1600w PSU from BMT with no mods.
11. All the above hashing power (33TH+) goes to kano.is since early Dec.
12. 5 x S7s were bought directly from BMT and shipped by DHL. No shipping issues.

That's my setup and journey so far, thanks to the many tips and guidance from this forum.

Although I don't have any bad units from BMT (fingers crossed), I feel for the rest because the miners are quite an investment. Hang on in there and keep sharing so that we could collectively help each other....

... TTYL.... kano just hit another one!

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
nhando

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 11:33:53 PM

I had a couple of boards on chain 1 and 2 fail on me from B1. I replaced them but the one on chain #1 failed again, it is in China to be delivered tomorrow. Seems like chain #1 is the source of failure for many.

nhando,

I think it will be cheaper if you replace the fan by yourself, they might want you to send the fan at your cost for RMA.

I will order a spare fan as my ant hill will continue growing so I will more than likely being needing spares anyway.  Is Ebay the best choice?  What is a fair price after shipping?

Anyone have these?  Are they any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Antminer-120mm-Fan-5000rpm-20in-cables-4pins-connector-BEST-/131665902676?hash=item1ea7e63c54:g:EiwAAOSwnH1WXl-D

Just "Mining" my own business.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 12:36:12 AM

I will order a spare fan as my ant hill will continue growing so I will more than likely being needing spares anyway.  Is Ebay the best choice?  What is a fair price after shipping?

Anyone have these?  Are they any good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Antminer-120mm-Fan-5000rpm-20in-cables-4pins-connector-BEST-/131665902676?hash=item1ea7e63c54:g:EiwAAOSwnH1WXl-D

I'm not familiar with the brand.  Others here may be.  It's a damn good price for sure for 3.4 Amp 5000 RPM fan.  I paid $24.00 w/free shipping for each of 10 units on Amazon from one seller in mid summer for 5,000 RPM; 250 CFM @ 3.4 Amps specs.  Now you will pay about the same but will also pay for shipping for about $30.00 each fan on Amazon.  I like the price of the one you found.  I'm just not sure of the durability.  Only time will tell.

lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 12:04:12 PM

I don't have an S7 so please ignore if u choose just wanted to see if someone else has tried this as i'm thinking of buying some from the jan batch.

If 1 board has died & u own 2 of them can u link them on to another controller & see if they work??

Maybe the controller has issues not the board?

I haven't seen anyone in the forums mentioning trying this method??

Let me know if this helps? It may speed up the RMA issues if its just a controller..

I seem to remember someone talking about bung controllers before too..

Like the ones with the S5 that came with the first few S7's.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 03:06:28 PM

I forget offhand what batch it was from, but I had an S7 come in for hosting and one board approximately caught fire as soon as I turned on the power. One fan has also failed and been replaced. The owner had previously sold it on eBay and it was returned as nonfunctional a few weeks later; he RMA'd two boards before it got to me. I suspect the eBay customer bought many from different places and put all the failed parts into one case to return so he wouldn't have to deal with separate RMAs (in which case he screwed over one seller pretty badly). Currently that is speculation. What is not speculation is that "one" S7 ended up with three failed boards (at least one of which failed with a light show) and one failed fan (which died after about two weeks on my shelf).

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:18:29 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2016, 12:11:49 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

fuck I bought 3x s7 batch 8, and tomorrow should send
My god we hope that work well
Odds are they should be fine. I have 3 of the earlier ones from Batch-8 and they are running perfectly. Never OC'd, fans turned down to 50-55%, all running the Bitmain PSU's. I've also placed an order for 2 more from batch-8 that I should get in a week or so.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
gerrys

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 04:42:39 PM

I had a chain #2 board fail after ~16hrs of use in a S7-B8 (was reporting 21 ASICs)
The unit was running default clock speed with a IBM 2880W PS. The temps were all
under 40°C prior to the failure.
The board has been shipped back for warranty (at my cost) and the responses from Bitmain
are that there won't be any compensation for the down time (failed Dec. 18) or my shipping costs. 
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 05:02:36 PM

Ive had mine almost two weeks, been feeding it outside air (below freezing) and its been at these settings for over 48hrs now:

18% fans (had to modify a file to use settings <20%)
725Mhz = 4.85TH, 0.012% errors, temps 62-68C

it was originally powered by a gold 1350w PSU, but for better effiviency its now split  between the 1350W gold(2 blades + controller) and a 650W gold(1 blade) since i was otherwise running at 90-95% capacity on the single PSU

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: