Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:12:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved]Remote Storage Advice  (Read 487 times)
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2016, 07:40:59 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2016, 08:20:35 PM by spooderman

Hi fellow BTCers.

Can someone please advise me on a service that has the same functionality as dropbox but is properly, and demonstrably (open source) encrypted?

I have a lot of data that is very important to me and would like upload it somewhere for safe keeping. I would also like it to remain protected.

I am happy to pay for the service, and would be delighted it they take bitcoin of course.

Thanks

edit: maybe a better way to explain what I'm looking for is essentially a storage device somewhere that isn't my house that I can download and upload to securely. I don't need a fancy interface or automatic syncing or anything. I just want to upload a large project when it is complete. That's all. As though I were to email it to myself, but we're talking 5GB files.

Society doesn't scale.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 07:53:57 PM

Wouldn't an encrypted file container for your data, backed up online, do the job?

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2016, 08:20:21 PM

exactly. i've just come to this realization. So I think i'll end up using something like dropbox and just encrypting the stuff manually before upload.

thanks

Society doesn't scale.
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 08:26:49 PM

Maybe mega.co.nz might do it. There is an (old) discussion on their security on Ars http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/01/megabad-a-quick-look-at-the-state-of-megas-encryption/ and they have apps for Chrome and Firefox that run locally that you can view the source for https://mega.nz/#chrome

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 09:17:29 PM

There are literally hundreds of cloud storage providers. They come and GO.

Sync.com is a newer one. The pro version has an encrypted vault. 2FA is available. They have an app for most everything except linux. They were offering a sizable award to anyone cracking their security.

Good old box.com. Still around and still offering a free account.  Good, solid service. One of the originals.

Mega of course as keewee suggested is decent.

I don't trust the cloud at all. I encrypt anything I send up. I don't get too invested, meaning, I don't upload gigabytes of data. I use at least 3 so I always have backups in case one folds.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2130

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 10:12:56 PM

You might want to look at Amazon Glacier. In exchange for that it might take a while for you to get your data back, prices are very cheap. $0.007 per GB (I think that's per month)

Always go for local encryption if you value your security too. There's been reports of some file stores not being as secure as you'd think.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2016, 05:51:25 AM

thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Society doesn't scale.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: