Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 04:25:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this math right?  (Read 3196 times)
mikedub222 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 09:57:34 PM

I've read a lot of "Welp bitcoin is no longer profitable" but I did some calculations and it seems pretty lucrative to me, but maybe there is something I don't quite see. I am pretty new to this scene and can be completely wrong about any of these details. I'm also not factoring in internet cost as I am paying for internet either way.

For example, I can buy an Antminer S5 for about $400 and expect to get about 1 Th/s out of it. This unit operates at 590W, so I did some numbers to crunch the electricity cost.

Electricity in my area is pretty high, with max tier usage coming in at about $0.32/kWh and baseline costing about $0.16/kWh. These can probably kept minimal with a commercial account, but let's pretend like I'm running it out of my bedroom. At max cost, I figured the electricity would cost $0.32/kWh * 0.59 kW/h * 24 h/day * 31 days/month = $140.47/month. That's a pretty high electricity bill, but let's compare that to how much it could make.

I'll be using Slush's pool as an example. Slush's pool usually has a collective hash rate of about 34 Ph/s. Your reward through this pool is calcuated by (Your Scoring Hash Rate/Pool Scoring Hash Rate)*0.98. So let's go through the calculations:
(1Th/s / 3400 Th/s) * 0.98 * 25BTC/block * 3 blocks/day * 31 days/month * ~$400/BTC= $265.06/month.

This means that per my calculations you would get a small, but definitely noticeable profit of at least $100/month. Obviously there is uncertainty in the whole bitcoin universe and difficulty will go up, but this to me seems like a much better investment to make money than gambling on penny stocks.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken!
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 10:49:44 PM

I think you have got the conversion from PH to TH wrong? 34PH is 34000TH.

No way you can make money with an S5 & that electricity cost.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1718

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 11:15:46 PM

An S5 earns right now $71 assuming free electricity per month.

DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 11:20:50 PM

yea I think your math was off somewhere.  Here is a good tool to do the math for you...
https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

I plugged in the numbers at your electricity price of 32 cents per kWh and it looks like you are unprofitable from the moment you plug it in.  It looks like anything over 17 cents is currently unprofitable for the S5.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 12:26:41 AM

yea I think your math was off somewhere.  Here is a good tool to do the math for you...
https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

I plugged in the numbers at your electricity price of 32 cents per kWh and it looks like you are unprofitable from the moment you plug it in.  It looks like anything over 17 cents is currently unprofitable for the S5.

At 17 cents you only chance is S7/Avalon 6.  You would mine and sell.  That is only way I see you possibly profiting.  And if you do go up to 32.... you stand no chance.

You can get hosting done much much cheaper somewhere then 32 cent's.  I would say 10 cents or less, I suggest looking at this as 32 cent's is just horrible.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 07:44:01 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2016, 07:43:11 AM by Amph

An S5 earns right now $71 assuming free electricity per month.

no margin with the s5 anymore, the consumption is around $22 and the earning is only 3x that, which mean that by the halving it will be useless, if not before due to the diff increase

this assuming the classic 0.05 cent per hour, i'm not counting free electricity, because only few people own it, surely not big farm...
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 08:55:52 AM

I've read a lot of "Welp bitcoin is no longer profitable" but I did some calculations and it seems pretty lucrative to me, but maybe there is something I don't quite see. I am pretty new to this scene and can be completely wrong about any of these details. I'm also not factoring in internet cost as I am paying for internet either way.

For example, I can buy an Antminer S5 for about $400 and expect to get about 1 Th/s out of it. This unit operates at 590W, so I did some numbers to crunch the electricity cost.

Electricity in my area is pretty high, with max tier usage coming in at about $0.32/kWh and baseline costing about $0.16/kWh. These can probably kept minimal with a commercial account, but let's pretend like I'm running it out of my bedroom. At max cost, I figured the electricity would cost $0.32/kWh * 0.59 kW/h * 24 h/day * 31 days/month = $140.47/month. That's a pretty high electricity bill, but let's compare that to how much it could make.

I'll be using Slush's pool as an example. Slush's pool usually has a collective hash rate of about 34 Ph/s. Your reward through this pool is calcuated by (Your Scoring Hash Rate/Pool Scoring Hash Rate)*0.98. So let's go through the calculations:
(1Th/s / 3400 Th/s) * 0.98 * 25BTC/block * 3 blocks/day * 31 days/month * ~$400/BTC= $265.06/month.

This means that per my calculations you would get a small, but definitely noticeable profit of at least $100/month. Obviously there is uncertainty in the whole bitcoin universe and difficulty will go up, but this to me seems like a much better investment to make money than gambling on penny stocks.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken!

The issue isn't that you can't make money NOW, the issue is being able to make ENOUGH money to pay back the cost of the hardware you buy before it becomes unprofitable.

You messed up on your calc, 34 PH is 34000 TH not 3400 TH so based on your assumptions your income would be more like $26 / month (this is somewhat low, Slush normally finds more like 5-6 blocks a day not 3).

Based on your assumptions and a CORRECTED calculation, you're LOSING over $100/month

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator is probably the best calculator out there, can account for difficulty increases (though you have to guess what they'll average long-term) and many other factors.

I show you LOSING over $2/day right now at 32 cents/kWH electric on an S5 with ZERO pool cost, profit of about 8 cents per DAY right now at 16cent/kWH electric but that profit evaporates as soon as the difficulty kicks up 8-9% more than the price does (probably in a bit over a week at the next diff adjustment, pretty much definitely at the diff adjustment after that).

At current difficulty, an S5 will earn a bit over 0.13 Bitcoin/MONTH.

I'm pretty sure the S5 is going to become unprofitable before the halfing, unless you have FREE electric, but it might be close if your electric is in the 3 Cents/KWH range.
 Definitely still usefull as a space heater though. 8-)

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
BTCBinary

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 01:21:41 PM

It seems like you haven't got the math right! You can always use coinwarz to check your values and do your math:

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator

talks_cheep
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 01:46:53 PM

Don't listen the liars above, they're just trying to keep the profits to themselves!!!

Go ahead and start mining, live like a king! I got into mining in 2012 and now I've got a Ferrari, a Tesla, and I live in a mansion, all thanks to bitcoin mining! Anyone with a half brain should buy mining gear and start minting money right away. Do Not Wait!!

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:23:07 PM

It seems like you haven't got the math right! You can always use coinwarz to check your values and do your math:

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator

Coin warz is great for current difficulty but horrible for long term. Use https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator it allows difficulty change over time.

This adds up and really makes a difference if you use coinwarz and times it out your numbers ill be massively off.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:44:10 AM

Don't listen the liars above, they're just trying to keep the profits to themselves!!!

Go ahead and start mining, live like a king! I got into mining in 2012 and now I've got a Ferrari, a Tesla, and I live in a mansion, all thanks to bitcoin mining! Anyone with a half brain should buy mining gear and start minting money right away. Do Not Wait!!

he have 0.32 in electricity, it could be only profitable with a s7 not with a s5, which the consumption would be $150 against a $60 of earning per month

huge loss each month if he begin to mine with that ancient asic
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:05:09 AM

Some year perhaps I'll be able to get into coinwarz more than about once a month, they have HORRIBLE issues just flat out timing out entirely when i've tried to access their site for any reason.

I've NEVER seen that issue with bitcoinwisdom, my only issues there (currently) are 1) they haven't updated their Litecoin calculator for the block halfing 2) a lot of their market links don't work right.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

@OP,
Why don't you go for a single s7 which gives you higher TH/s with greater efficiency and lesser consumption???
The math you are showing is based on older machines which means that there is no guarantee that you can profit with the amount of miners you are going to use, as the electricity is higher at your place, and most importantly, it is associated with your ROI period...

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 05:15:40 PM

@OP,
Why don't you go for a single s7 which gives you higher TH/s with greater efficiency and lesser consumption???
The math you are showing is based on older machines which means that there is no guarantee that you can profit with the amount of miners you are going to use, as the electricity is higher at your place, and most importantly, it is associated with your ROI period...

I have a feeling we can let this thread die. I don't think OP is coming back he signed up asked question and has not been back:

Date Registered:    January 03, 2016, 09:47:09 PM
Last Active:    January 03, 2016, 10:18:12 PM

I would guess he did the math and decided not to do it.  But that is speculation.
dumada

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 01:20:20 PM

@OP,

It is hobby mining for him. He can only afford S5. S7 costs more than $1000, that is too expensive.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 07:20:15 PM

@OP,

It is hobby mining for him. He can only afford S5. S7 costs more than $1000, that is too expensive.

As I mentioned OP appears to be gone I think we can let this thread die.  But you must have missed his top electricity at "$0.32/kWh" which is very very high.  Were talking so high it makes it hard to mine at all.

If he runs anything he will want most current he can get.  Do the math on S5 running at that electricity you will see it is not good at all. 
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 07:35:50 AM

@OP,

than if it is only an hobby why he don't go with s3, much cheaper

also s7 is sold for $1250 right now, i'm sure you can find someone that sell an used unit for $1k
MasterMG

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 07:52:21 AM

Coin warz is great for current difficulty but horrible for long term. Use https://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator it allows difficulty change over time.

This adds up and really makes a difference if you use coinwarz and times it out your numbers ill be massively off.

What would a good example be for difficulty change over 12 months? 20% per month seems High.
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 08:06:38 AM

What would a good example be for difficulty change over 12 months? 20% per month seems High.

If I had to pick single figures I would go for 8% for each 14 Day difficulty period up to the halving in July. Then after that 5%. I would hope that these numbers are a bit high, but who knows what Spondoolies & Bitfury etc are going to be deploying?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
MasterMG

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 08:16:46 AM

If I had to pick single figures I would go for 8% for each 14 Day difficulty period up to the halving in July. Then after that 5%. I would hope that these numbers are a bit high, but who knows what Spondoolies & Bitfury etc are going to be deploying?

Rich

That said right now, even at 0.03 used per kW. Avalon 6 and ant miner s7 are never profitable...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: