Bitcoin Forum
September 04, 2024, 06:26:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculating total ROI when trading BTC for fiat  (Read 617 times)
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 03:20:10 PM

Hi guys,

I'm trying to work out if its possible to calculate a meaningful, single ROI percentage when you've been trading fiat currency for BTCs - the problem comes when you have both BTCs and fiat left over at the point you want to calculate ROI.

Is it possible to get a single meaningful number out, rather than 2 percentages?

Cheers, Paul.

Snipes777

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 11:51:42 PM

Yes, you just have to decide what your ruler is to convert things to. USD, BTC, Other? Then you can do some goal seek operations in excel or something to get what you are looking for.

Voluntaryism- The belief that ALL human interactions should be free of force, fraud and coercion.
Taxation is Theft; War is Murder; Incarceration is Kidnapping; Spanking is Assault; Federal Reserve Notes are Counterfeiting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntaryism
Bendur

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:10:25 AM

Most people would probably use USD to work out their profits, just because we are all fairly used to working with it. That's what I generally use anyway.

CountSparkle

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 07:49:10 AM

How are you calculating it now?
monsterer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 08:31:02 AM

How are you calculating it now?

I take the starting value of BTC->USD exchange rate, convert my remaining BTCs into USDs and then do the regular ROI calculation.

startUsdValue = startBtcs*exchangeRate + startUsds

currentUsdValue = currentBtcs*exchangeRate + currentUsds

ROI = 100*(currentUsdValue - startUsdValue) / startUsdValue

But, it seems wrong somehow - just wanted to make sure there wasn't another more correct way?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: