Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:02:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would there be any benefit in using a low-end miner to create vanity addresses?  (Read 573 times)
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:13:17 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum but here goes nothing:

If I bought a USB miner or something more low-end would it be of any benefit to me at all to use the computing power to calculate vanity addresses quicker than a GPU/CPU?

I'm assuming they weren't built for this so it probably doesn't make any sense at all. I'm hoping I'm wrong though. Smiley

Thanks.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:21:37 AM

I'm pretty sure the question has been asked several times over the last two years or so, and the answer always comes back with "no, address generation and bitcoin mining are very different algorithms/processes so the ASIC would not be able to help you".

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Chris! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:28:54 AM

I'm pretty sure the question has been asked several times over the last two years or so, and the answer always comes back with "no, address generation and bitcoin mining are very different algorithms/processes so the ASIC would not be able to help you".

Ah, I figured. Sorry, I was having trouble searching (too many keywords). Thanks for the quick response though.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:40:44 AM

Ah, I figured. Sorry, I was having trouble searching (too many keywords). Thanks for the quick response though.

It's GPU's that do the job on creating vanity addresses.  Time can depend pretty dramatic on the rules you set and how long of vanity you want.

But I kept a rig long ago thinking I would use it for vanity addresses... never used it.  Looking back I should have sold it like the rest of my GPU's.  But at least I kept 2 cheaper cards I sold the better ones long long ago.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:43:54 AM

I still run vanitygen on occasion, mostly for fun. I don't have any dedicated "GPU rigs" but I tend to like multi-screen setups so I have decent cards in my two main machines anyway - capable of driving 15 screens between 'em. Vanity addresses can be nice to have for promotional stuff or things which you want to be memorable, but I think the monetization of vanity address generation (via pools and such) is just about dead?

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:49:43 AM

I still run vanitygen on occasion, mostly for fun. I don't have any dedicated "GPU rigs" but I tend to like multi-screen setups so I have decent cards in my two main machines anyway - capable of driving 15 screens between 'em. Vanity addresses can be nice to have for promotional stuff or things which you want to be memorable, but I think the monetization of vanity address generation (via pools and such) is just about dead?

I think so the problem with vanity pools is it relies on customers to buy the vanity addresses.  There are no block rewards, nothing to make money besides charging the person, and then distribute it between miners.   I think there was one site still up.

I found it in bookmarks I never did use it so I can't vouch as far as security  but http://bitcoinvanitygen.com/ is still doing it appears.  So it's almost dead.  Most do it their self like you mentioned.   Just a lot easier to know it's secure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: