Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:09:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CPC Electronics - is it legit?  (Read 49933 times)
MykelSilver

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 08:48:06 PM

Have you tried reporting this scam to the local police? They must have a cyber/economic crime unit, and may be able to get warrants for ISP information. Chances are slim, but it's not impossible.
According to the answer i got from The Manchester City Council Tradings Standards Office (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131446.msg1434088#msg1434088  ) this can only be done by a resident from the UK.
I am a victim from the Netherlands. Because the crime is done in the UK for me the only thing I can do and have already done is fill in a complain to the "Europees Consumenten Centrum". I will be informed about the status this complain soon according to the online form I have filled in.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 09:00:28 PM

Have you tried reporting this scam to the local police? They must have a cyber/economic crime unit, and may be able to get warrants for ISP information. Chances are slim, but it's not impossible.
According to the answer i got from The Manchester City Council Tradings Standards Office (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131446.msg1434088#msg1434088  ) this can only be done by a resident from the UK.
I am a victim from the Netherlands. Because the crime is done in the UK for me the only thing I can do and have already done is fill in a complain to the "Europees Consumenten Centrum". I will be informed about the status this complain soon according to the online form I have filled in.
Alright. I thought you could report it to your local police. They should be able to interface with the Interpol or directly with the police in England. This is clearly an ongoing fraud, offering non-existing products priced in $, accepting only irreversible payments through the Bitcoin network. They should get nailed hard.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
ATC777

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2013, 10:27:16 PM

Thieves operating in plain sight and all you can do is "complain"... Isn't government and bureaucracy wonderful?  Tongue

Epic Coinage -- Gold, Silver, Bitcoin, Exchange, Apparel, Electronics and more!

Check the official trade thread for full list of products and services!

Tips :: 13M9QLc5BDQe2iuB1N3Br58fYvJF5ixihT
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 02:28:48 AM

The Netherlands are part of the EU no?

go after the bureaucrat, tell him you will drop the story to the "sun" newspaper, showing fraud being committed from an address on his patch.
Then drop the story over to the "thesun.co.uk", tell them its about a thousand pounds per person, but the useless bureaucrats are sitting on their ass, then point out that you wonder if the same rules would apply if drugs were being sold on the internet from Manchester.

But just remember if you do that, then 10,000 sun readers will  probably go and buy the machine for making "free money", because they are hardly the brightest DNA stubs on the planet.

or:
via the internet
http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/reporting_fraud.htm
http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 04:20:07 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2013, 04:49:24 AM by ab8989

Part of the problem is that nobody knows in which country this scam was really done from. They listed their address to be in Manchester, but since that was clearly done fraudulently, the scammers can really be anywhere. The police in Manchester or England is not going to do much of anything just because a fraudulent Manchester address was used as a part of the scam. Maybe only to try to find out if there there was some kind of mail forwarding done to somewhere but I think the scammers have thought of that possibility and not left such a clear trail into their real identities. I hope the defrauded customer got them to send a photocopy of their passports and other identifying documents before parting out with 72000BTC to them. For 72000BTC I personally would definately hop on an airplane to see them from eye to eye and check the goods in person before buying.

I guess it is only the police of Netherlands where the victim lives that is going to do something and after somebody finds out where the scammers actually live and operate, maybe some island in tropical region, then the police of that still unknown country could feel the need to step up from their asses and do something.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 04:55:53 AM

Part of the problem is that nobody knows in which country this scam was really done from. They listed their address to be in Manchester, but since that was clearly done fraudulently, the scammers can really be anywhere. The police in Manchester or England is not going to do much of anything just because a fraudulent Manchester address was used as a part of the scam. Maybe only to try to find out if there there was some kind of mail forwarding done to somewhere but I think the scammers have thought of that possibility and not left such a clear trail into their real identities. I hope the defrauded customer got them to send a photocopy of their passports and other identifying documents before parting out with 72000BTC to them. For 72000BTC I personally would definately hop on an airplane to see them from eye to eye and check the goods in person before buying.

I guess it is only the police of Netherlands where the victim lives that is going to do something and after somebody finds out where the scammers actually live and operate, maybe some island in tropical region, then the police of that still unknown country could feel the need to step up from their asses and do something.

Where on earth did you get your 72000 BTC number?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 04:59:23 AM

Sorry for rounding it up. 72.109 BTC to be exact, see post #61 by MykelSilver

It is really clear for me that I am robbed for 72.109 BTC :-(
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 05:07:37 AM

Sorry for rounding it up. 72.109 BTC to be exact, see post #61 by MykelSilver

It is really clear for me that I am robbed for 72.109 BTC :-(

So 72 BTC not 72000 BTC (rounding off)

The transaction is here:  http://blockchain.info/tx/b6f60efdf6d5095dd9a377675e29951cb9a83051e22da9823276c523731c8a70

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
strello

Activity: 234

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 10:36:08 AM

I very much doubt that they will act on this, but I have sent the following email to 1&1 in the hope that they might at least investigate the CPC scam, and maybe even take the website offline.

I have also informed BoldChat, whose chat service CPC are claiming to use on their website.

"Hello

This is to inform you that the Company "cpcelectronics.co.uk" operating a phishing scam at http://www.cpcelectronics.co.uk/index.html is clearly fraudulent, and has registered their domain and website with you using a false address.

Additional information can be found here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131446.0

They have defrauded at least one unsuspecting "customer", who is currently attempting to get help pursuing them legally, but having difficulty as he is not a UK citizen.

I would be very grateful if you could investigate this matter and, if possible, take these criminals offline in order to limit the fraud.

I'm sure it would not be possible legally, but any information you could provide to help establish the real identity of these criminals would be much appreciated.

Thank you."

It is futile to speak of liberty as long as economic slavery exists.

My GPG key
MykelSilver

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 10:53:16 AM

Thank you for your effort Mr.  strello. Lets hope for the best.
I just ended a phone call with my local police. They first advised me to fill in an application form on https://www.mijnpolitie.nl/b/eforms.html?formDefinitionCode=ifaangifte&pageNumber=0&supplier=20107101901. But unfortunately after the second page of this application form it refused me to continue because of the format of the zip code in Manchester (it only allows zip codes in Dutch format). After a second call to the police they advised me to contact the British embassy. Of course this can only be done on working days. To be continued.
strello

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 10:59:47 AM

You're welcome.

As I said. I doubt 1 & 1 will take any action, but you never know.

Good luck!

My GPG key
strello

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 11:08:43 AM

Received the following reply from BoldChat:

"We have received your email. This issue has been escalated to our Senior Technical Analyst. I urge you to file a formal complaint on the legal authorities about this and we'll be glad to assist with the investigation in any way we can.

Please don't hesitate to email us, call us up on +1 316 462 7190 -- Toll Free: +1 866 753 9933 or chat with us via our website if you need any further assistance. Our email and chat support is available 24/7, while our phone support is available from 8:00am to 6:00pm CDT."

Probably means that they will do nothing further.

My GPG key
MykelSilver

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 11:15:49 AM

I urge you to file a formal complaint on the legal authorities about this and we'll be glad to assist with the investigation in any way we can.
Yesterday (January 5th) I have filled a formal complaint to the ECC (http://www.eccnl.eu/page/en ). It is filled under registration number 1357394921929-49048. So lets see how this plays out.
ATC777

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 09:42:54 PM

The US government loves to stick its nose in foreign affairs... we need an American victim to come forward if one exists.

thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 01:54:35 AM

The US government loves to stick its nose in foreign affairs... we need an American victim to come forward if one exists.

Please. They're probably not even interested if it's under 5 million involved. The US might be a bit Imperalist, but it costs too much  money to prosecute. If it was for drugs, however...
ATC777

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:12:16 AM

Please. They're probably not even interested if it's under 5 million involved. The US might be a bit Imperalist, but it costs too much  money to prosecute. If it was for drugs, however...

Haha! I was actually kinda joking. Cheesy

What the victim has been going through here just goes to show how ineffectual and wasteful government is. All these huge organizations and agencies that are supposed to be about "fair trade" and "protecting consumers" and they can't even shut down a pathetic little scam store because their own bureaucratic system prevents them from doing so. They can't do anything because your complaint was 4.2 pages long instead of 3.5, or you stapled the paper at a 45-deg angle instead of 90...  It's all just a bunch of BS so a bunch of people can have government jobs... Sad

strello

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 09:58:15 PM

Reply from 1 & 1

" Thank you for contacting 1and1 Internet Security team regarding your Phishing complaint.

Please note that we have temporarily suspended the website in question. We are now in the process of investigating this matter and will take a further appropriate action as per the outcome of our investigation.

We thank you for your patience and cooperation in this matter.

--
Sincerely,
Security Team
1&1 Internet, Ltd."

At least the website is offline.

My GPG key
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 12:50:49 AM

Reply from 1 & 1

" Thank you for contacting 1and1 Internet Security team regarding your Phishing complaint.

Please note that we have temporarily suspended the website in question. We are now in the process of investigating this matter and will take a further appropriate action as per the outcome of our investigation.

We thank you for your patience and cooperation in this matter.

--
Sincerely,
Security Team
1&1 Internet, Ltd."

At least the website is offline.

Great. I never understood how these elaborate scams make any sense, with all the time and effort to pull them off. In this case - all the planning, buying a stolen cc to pay for hosting, proxies/tor/etc., Web design, setup, responding to emails, watching this thread - and risk, no matter how small. All that for what, a thousand dollars? Must be a really pathetic loser.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
ATC777

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 05:55:52 AM

Great. I never understood how these elaborate scams make any sense, with all the time and effort to pull them off. In this case - all the planning, buying a stolen cc to pay for hosting, proxies/tor/etc., Web design, setup, responding to emails, watching this thread - and risk, no matter how small. All that for what, a thousand dollars? Must be a really pathetic loser.

Exactly. It's harder than making money legitimately, but they are just determined to be a douche...  Roll Eyes

miner2049

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 05:57:39 AM

I've been following this thread since Christmas and I checked the website today.  From my end here in the states, I'm not able to pull up the website.  I hope that the scammers have closed up shop and realize that the forum was on to them.

Miner2049
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: