Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:32:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Road compromised?  (Read 3081 times)
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 03:56:41 AM

Looks like SR has been partially compromised by means of SQL injection. Damage limited so far, but who knows whats next!
http://www.reddit.com/r/SilkRoad/comments/151sok/sr_quick_buy_is_a_scam/

Thoughts, updates?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 05:10:40 AM

the future of silk road

will soon possess

bigger problems than that.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 05:14:48 AM

its hard to believe SR did not protected its database from SQL injection...

my guess is some silly JavaScript or CSS trickery.

not a major problem... and not hard to solve.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 08:27:50 AM

Message from Dread Pirate Roberts (owner):

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey gang,

I'm aware of the image hack that has taken place and am working with my team to fix the issue.  Whoever was able to pull it off was is very skilled and clever.  Hopefully no one has fallen for it and sent money to any of these mystery addresses in the images.  So far as I can tell, the effect of the hack was limited to item images and no sensitive information has been leaked.

I have switched the default view for all accounts to "incognito" so images won't show up.  Also, it is looking like we will most likely lose the defaced images, so those will need to be re-uploaded.

I'm terribly sorry for the trouble this is causing, and we will get it cleaned up asap.

- -DPR

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJQ0V3+AAoJEAIiQjtnt/ol61wIAJgLMU7G9afQIPcEP11QQUfu
nvYAnM+BGsh6U/I65r5p7WzoLlIWTl+1mRIg3YNXMT/6UTphOMFKOv6/XXJig5o/
edja/1+5UJhLeOpXNuDlJDrLJqFGqGKu/swIn0rT2AmmxrgBcXYX+QUnoEZ4lJct
qMcKVX/j6PnWoT62RfmS5cirvbR7R6DB/ahzaVlihjx+XYzw5PiSmPthivQlUiLB
9XWibiO73kxq2cw/+hVvnhHFKbME1Ima1Q/JVX0knY+oAXIW0jeTrg7irDlg7ObL
Xn/w8WJ4GQ+qUkKn/jaY8Im3sFWLXDzWgC+VAAhmatEn49eSraVFA7kVX91tF6Q=
=LZjl
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

It was SQL injection. The attacker was able to change product images, so he added a "Quick Buy" option on to the images which included a BTC address to pay on it. He  also removed the shipping options so that it was impossible to place an order. It doesn't look like anybody fell for it & the hack didn't affect most of the product listings, they however do not have backups of the original images so these will have to be reuploaded by the vendors.

Does this mean they have/had no backups of the site? If I "very skillfully and cleverly" hack their db and overwrite balances instead of images will they say "also, it is looking like we will most likely lose the defaced balances, so those will need to be re-deposited."?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 08:34:48 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2012, 08:45:59 AM by Blazr

Does this mean they have/had no backups of the site? If I "very skillfully and cleverly" hack their db and overwrite balances instead of images will they say "also, it is looking like we will most likely lose the defaced balances, so those will need to be re-deposited."?

No, of course they have backups of the site & the DB was never compromised.

SR uses a very neat way of displaying the product images on their site, so as to reduce the number of requests the browser has to send over TOR due to the high latency. I'm guessing this is the reason the hacker was able to deface the images & also the reason they didn't have any backups of them.

It sounds like the plan now is to crop out the QuickBuy from the images & use them, after they fix the vulnerability obviously. Should be OK for most of the images, seller can always fix it anyways by re-uploading.

The whole thing has made users extremely paranoid as also a few SR moderators haven't been heard from in a few weeks now & there is a rumour of a bust happening soon, there are a lot of sellers packing up shop & leaving the site.

Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 12:36:41 PM

I thought they were experiencing down times lately due to more traffic then they can handle (too lazy to fetch announcement right now).
It seems they are prospering nevertheless.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 04:47:41 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2012, 05:08:32 PM by adamstgBit

Message from Dread Pirate Roberts (owner):

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey gang,

I'm aware of the image hack that has taken place and am working with my team to fix the issue.  Whoever was able to pull it off was is very skilled and clever.  Hopefully no one has fallen for it and sent money to any of these mystery addresses in the images.  So far as I can tell, the effect of the hack was limited to item images and no sensitive information has been leaked.

I have switched the default view for all accounts to "incognito" so images won't show up.  Also, it is looking like we will most likely lose the defaced images, so those will need to be re-uploaded.

I'm terribly sorry for the trouble this is causing, and we will get it cleaned up asap.

- -DPR

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJQ0V3+AAoJEAIiQjtnt/ol61wIAJgLMU7G9afQIPcEP11QQUfu
nvYAnM+BGsh6U/I65r5p7WzoLlIWTl+1mRIg3YNXMT/6UTphOMFKOv6/XXJig5o/
edja/1+5UJhLeOpXNuDlJDrLJqFGqGKu/swIn0rT2AmmxrgBcXYX+QUnoEZ4lJct
qMcKVX/j6PnWoT62RfmS5cirvbR7R6DB/ahzaVlihjx+XYzw5PiSmPthivQlUiLB
9XWibiO73kxq2cw/+hVvnhHFKbME1Ima1Q/JVX0knY+oAXIW0jeTrg7irDlg7ObL
Xn/w8WJ4GQ+qUkKn/jaY8Im3sFWLXDzWgC+VAAhmatEn49eSraVFA7kVX91tF6Q=
=LZjl
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

It was SQL injection. The attacker was able to change product images, so he added a "Quick Buy" option on to the images which included a BTC address to pay on it. He  also removed the shipping options so that it was impossible to place an order. It doesn't look like anybody fell for it & the hack didn't affect most of the product listings, they however do not have backups of the original images so these will have to be reuploaded by the vendors.

if it was SQL injection, then they should assume  the hacker has the hole database, if you can do SQL injection, you have full control over the db... (protecting against SQL injection is not hard)

but some JS or CSS "injection" could have done the same thing...

and SR uses some weird way of displaying imgs so that you don't dwl them through TOR ( would be to slow ), sounds like the hacker found a way to hack that "img system" and change the imgs.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 05:24:42 PM

Their "weird" image system is to store images as base64 encoded strings on the database, which isn't weird at all.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 05:41:59 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2012, 05:53:13 PM by adamstgBit

Their "weird" image system is to store images as base64 encoded strings on the database, which isn't weird at all.

well they use some tick to have the images not dwl from TOR, no?
the hacker took advantage of this system, maybe.

So far as I can tell, the effect of the hack was limited to item images and no sensitive information has been leaked.

how can they say that if they suspect SQL injection?

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 05:57:09 PM

well they use some tick to have the images not dwl from TOR, no?
the hacker took advantage of this system, maybe.

No, they do get downloaded, at least their base64 binary data does, but they get the whole page in only 1 request to the DB and it can be sent to the browser in 1 operation, which saves a lot of time.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 06:30:58 PM

Heh very weird, MPEx graphs are pushed the same way. I guess my original question stands.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 07:00:40 PM

if it was SQL injection, then they should assume  the hacker has the hole database, if you can do SQL injection, you have full control over the db... (protecting against SQL injection is not hard)

and SR uses some weird way of displaying imgs so that you don't dwl them through TOR ( would be to slow ), sounds like the hacker found a way to hack that "img system" and change the imgs.

Where did you read that a SQL Injection can permit access to the whole DB?

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:18:44 PM

Why not?
(Because innodb has per row access control?)

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 01:16:57 AM

as i understand it... if you find some user input that isn't  SQL Injection protected, you can preform any SQL query you want.

01BTC10
VIP

Merit: 503

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 01:53:23 AM

as i understand it... if you find some user input that isn't  SQL Injection protected, you can preform any SQL query you want.
Not all users should have admin privilege to the database.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189121.aspx
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:40:57 AM

I once thought about changing my middle name to '") DROP TABLE *'.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 09:33:17 AM

I once thought about changing my middle name to '") DROP TABLE *'.

XCKD did it.

So is the hacker offering the SilkRoad userdb on SilkRoad?

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 10:00:45 AM

as i understand it... if you find some user input that isn't  SQL Injection protected, you can preform any SQL query you want.
Not all users should have admin privilege to the database.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189121.aspx

Exactly, and sometimes an SQL Injection doesn't means the whole database, sometimes it's just a IN instruction that was compromised(to me it's the most common case, even I use it on local softwares). I mean "SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE HANDLE IN(" + TextCommaSeparated + ");".

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 10:32:40 AM

Wonder how much of a chilling effect this will have on silk road use? Even a minor database breach of a site like SR is concerning if you ask me.
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 08:07:40 PM

It is amazing that a discussion about the largest marketplace that only uses bitcoin as a medium of exchange is put in the Off-Topic forum.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: