Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 04:45:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer s3  (Read 5076 times)
tblake05 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 12:31:27 AM

New to bitcoin mining, so go easy.

Just curious if the S3 is still able to mine bitcoin or is it way out of date (slow)?  Is anyone still using it, and if I were to install one, or maybe two, and left them run for a couple years, do you think it would be worth the initial investment of the units plus say a corsair cx750m power supply and energy costs?

Is there a comparison on cost breakdown of each antminer?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OneInchWonder

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 02:45:05 AM

Im running 2 of them and depending on luck and so on they are making around 2 USD per day.

get.uber.com/drive/?invite_code=brianp6308ue
baazju

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 02:48:52 AM

I'm running 3 S3+ and they are super quiet and stable. Which they had a bit more hash power, but I am still making about $1 a day with even luck.

Beware of scammers.
OneInchWonder

Activity: 206

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 03:11:50 AM

S3+ are a bit nicer a little over clocking and still run like a tank.

Go there http://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

Power cost want to look at. Power cost is what going to get you on a S3 now.

get.uber.com/drive/?invite_code=brianp6308ue
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 03:42:43 AM

S3+ are a bit nicer a little over clocking and still run like a tank.

Go there http://bitcoinwisdom.com/bitcoin/calculator

Power cost want to look at. Power cost is what going to get you on a S3 now.

Power cost is huge with S3 being older you really need very cheap/free electricity.  They just are a few generations behind.  The calculator above is great to see your ROI chances, make sure on electricity to include taxes or fee's.

But also on S3+ it stops you from getting one that was a batch 1 dud.  Some batch ones worked great others ran slow.  It was big enough they did give a portion of sale back.    But if you get one that is plain S3 know what it hashes at so you pay proper.  They are like tanks though and pretty much keep working.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:33:59 AM

only worth it with free electricity i guess, because even at 0.05 the profit isn't that great(actually there is loss with the next diff increase), probably on par with some gpu mining on some random altcoin
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 05:13:50 PM

only worth it with free electricity i guess, because even at 0.05 the profit isn't that great(actually there is loss with the next diff increase), probably on par with some gpu mining on some random altcoin

Look at difficulty jumps though.  I would not want to be .05 with S3 even.  I like a bigger margin then that.  I think I agree with speculation of it being a loss by time  you factor in purchasing price.

I would sell it and go more efficient, or just buy more efficient.    But S3 is slowly moving to very low/free users.  It's kinda the nature of the game.
baazju

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:17:30 PM

Worth it if you aren't just in it for profit. For some this is a hobby. But for the OP who mentions ROI definitely not worth it. For the price these are pretty nice hobby machines though.

Beware of scammers.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:12:21 PM

Worth it if you aren't just in it for profit. For some this is a hobby. But for the OP who mentions ROI definitely not worth it. For the price these are pretty nice hobby machines though.

I run a decent amount in my hobby mining.  I see hobby mining as bigger then home miner but less then a commercial setup.   I think this area will grow as it's much nicer to have a mining area then running in separate room's trying not to trip breakers.  But that is another story.

You have to be in it for a profit at some point.  I cant lose the amount I am currently paying on electricity, or I could it jut would be dumb.  If it got where I could not do it profitable I might run 1 for fun.  If a miner no longer make me money I sell it to someone with cheap or free electricity.

I think you underestimate the cost of running a modern miner over time especially.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 07:58:20 AM

well if you want to sustain the network you can go with a fullnode, and waste less electricity, because what hobby is a hobby where you don't do anything and you sits there watching something that does not grow basically because you needs to repay from your pocket?
|Ocean|

Activity: 126

Mining Bitcoins Since 2010

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 08:01:05 AM

Just curious if the S3 is still able to mine bitcoin or is it way out of date (slow)?  Is anyone still using it, and if I were to install one, or maybe two, and left them run for a couple years, do you think it would be worth the initial investment of the units plus say a corsair cx750m power supply and energy costs?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Definitely slow , but still people are using them , even they are the first equipment that i got and i am still using them.
They earn me 4 $ per day average.
RustyNoman

Activity: 189

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 04:41:22 PM

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Definitely slow , but still people are using them , even they are the first equipment that i got and i am still using them.
They earn me 4 $ per day average.

Did you do some mod to increase the efficiency?
tblake05 (OP)

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 12:43:52 AM

Thanks for the info guys, just got a couple S3's because the owner upgraded.  I think If I were to set them up at the business and let them use that electricity, I should be OK (tax write off).

Now onto the power supply?  Each needs four pci-e psu inputs?  And each consumes 340W?  So I'll need a PSU with 8 PCI-E outputs and be rated for at least 700W?

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Looking for something I can set up and just leave it do its thing.

Also what info can you guys give on pools?

Thanks!!!!
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2016, 07:43:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys, just got a couple S3's because the owner upgraded.  I think If I were to set them up at the business and let them use that electricity, I should be OK (tax write off).

Now onto the power supply?  Each needs four pci-e psu inputs?  And each consumes 340W?  So I'll need a PSU with 8 PCI-E outputs and be rated for at least 700W?

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Looking for something I can set up and just leave it do its thing.

Thanks!!!!

betteer to have more margin with a psu, if you consume 700, don't buy a 700w psu, but buy somethign bigger like 850 or even 1k

it's not good to stress the psu especially for a 24/7 work
RustyNoman

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 09:59:26 PM

Thanks!!!!

betteer to have more margin with a psu, if you consume 700, don't buy a 700w psu, but buy somethign bigger like 850 or even 1k

The PSU has highest efficiency when the power output is with 50-80%. So you can save electricity by buying a big power supply.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 10:25:31 PM

Thanks!!!!

The PSU has highest efficiency when the power output is with 50-80%. So you can save electricity by buying a big power supply.

Normally that will cost more though to get that.  So you need to see how much you save vs what your spending.  Also 220/240 compared to 110/120 will save some.

So there are lot's of options just depends on what is worthwhile depending on person's situation.
RustyNoman

View Profile
January 19, 2016, 05:38:43 PM

Thanks!!!!

Normally that will cost more though to get that.  So you need to see how much you save vs what your spending.  Also 220/240 compared to 110/120 will save some.

So there are lot's of options just depends on what is worthwhile depending on person's situation.

2% efficient can make some difference if the electricity price is high. My PSU works at around 70-80% load.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 07:36:41 AM

Thanks for the info guys, just got a couple S3's because the owner upgraded.  I think If I were to set them up at the business and let them use that electricity, I should be OK (tax write off).

Now onto the power supply?  Each needs four pci-e psu inputs?  And each consumes 340W?  So I'll need a PSU with 8 PCI-E outputs and be rated for at least 700W?

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Looking for something I can set up and just leave it do its thing.

Thanks!!!!

Normally that will cost more though to get that.  So you need to see how much you save vs what your spending.  Also 220/240 compared to 110/120 will save some.

2% efficient can make some difference if the electricity price is high. My PSU works at around 70-80% load.

yeah corsair and seasonic efficency are higher, but it was proven that above 90 the gain is minimum, so maybe better to not go overboard with it

in any case you can always resell everything(is what i've done with my previous rig), so the initial cost is not so important
tblake05 (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 07:30:42 PM

Switching gears,  got an evga 1000W PSU, both antminers up and hashing great.  I went to overclock them, and just went ahead with the max.  One S3 is has perfect ASIC status and good temps, the other one good temps, but one "o" on the asic status bar is an "x".  Just one.  Should I be worried.  Behing overclocked to a frequency of 250, both hash right around 500ghz.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:05:32 AM

Switching gears,  got an evga 1000W PSU, both antminers up and hashing great.  I went to overclock them, and just went ahead with the max.  One S3 is has perfect ASIC status and good temps, the other one good temps, but one "o" on the asic status bar is an "x".  Just one.  Should I be worried.  Behing overclocked to a frequency of 250, both hash right around 500ghz.

I cant say if worried or not since I cant see it.  But X is not good, but you mention overclocked.  Some S3's do it better then others. 

On one with X's pull it back start at default freq, see if it stay's at all good.  If so then try OC slowly.  If it default still have X then look at it more.  Are you overclocking with 1 PCIe on each side or two?   (not split like one cable splits into 2, but 2 separate PCIe cables.
talks_cheep
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:02:00 AM

Antminer S3 is still a viable option because bitcoin price is going up this year, it's perfect for those who HODL. If you need to sell your bitcoins right away, it's probably not a good miner to run.

baazju

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:07:18 AM

I still mine with my S3+. Thinking about switching them toSolo and hope to get lucky.

Beware of scammers.
tblake05 (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:04:03 PM

Thanks for the reply!  I put them both back to normal for now.  The EVGA PSU came with 4 pcie dedicated cables and 2 pcie cables that split into two each.  So 8 total.  I have each miner hooked to a split cable with each branch of the cable going to a different bank, then each miner also has 2 dedicated pcie cables going to individual banks.  So each bank gets one dedicated and one split pcie cable.  If that makes sense.  I know its not ideal, but its all ive got.

Suggestions?
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 05:33:20 PM

Thanks for the reply!  I put them both back to normal for now.  The EVGA PSU came with 4 pcie dedicated cables and 2 pcie cables that split into two each.  So 8 total.  I have each miner hooked to a split cable with each branch of the cable going to a different bank, then each miner also has 2 dedicated pcie cables going to individual banks.  So each bank gets one dedicated and one split pcie cable.  If that makes sense.  I know its not ideal, but its all ive got.

Suggestions?

Did normal freq make miner go back to all O's?   That is the big thing is that you get rid of those X's as you will lose speed.   

So i'm guessing best suggestion is just leave as normal freq.  Having 2 PCIE and splitting them into 2 each is not like having 4 different PCIe cables per miner, which some OC needs.   
RustyNoman

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 10:41:47 AM

I still mine with my S3+. Thinking about switching them toSolo and hope to get lucky.

If you do not mind the electricity cost and want to mine. Then it is OK to mine with S3+. You might be able to make it more efficient by reducing the voltage.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: