Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:24:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing an encrypted wallet.dat  (Read 1057 times)
Viscera (OP)

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 01:56:34 AM

Are there any special requirements when importing an encrypted wallet.dat file. 

Also

If I've already downloaded the blockchain with a new wallet that has a zero ballance is there a way to update the wallet.dat that will allow it to work with the blockchain that's already downloaded or will I need to download the entire blockchain again.

Thanks
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6641

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 02:03:50 AM

Are there any special requirements when importing an encrypted wallet.dat file. 

Also

If I've already downloaded the blockchain with a new wallet that has a zero ballance is there a way to update the wallet.dat that will allow it to work with the blockchain that's already downloaded or will I need to download the entire blockchain again.

Thanks
It will work automatically. All you need to do is replace the wallet.dat in the data directory with yours. If it doesn't show the correct balance then you will need to have Bitcoin Core rescan the blockchain, but this does not involve resyncing or redownloading anything. It is usually fairly quick. Normally you won't need to do that.

unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 05:18:58 AM

Unless you are working with a very old version of Bitcoin core, everything should be fine if you close Core, swap wallet files, and relaunch.
Viscera (OP)

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:55:46 AM

Thanks, it's working
vileygroun

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 02:52:15 PM

Well, You need to replace the old wallet.dat with the newly created one. If you want the address from the other wallet.dat file, you need to import the private key from one to the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: