Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:21:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm going to try learning C++ then maybe something else  (Read 758 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 01:15:40 PM

Well from what I've gathered there are obviously a lot of programmers hanging around here so I thought what better place to ask about C++/OpenGL than here. Now I looked at sites like cprogramming etc. which do a decent job of explaining basic commands to you but what pisses me off is that none of these sites explain what all the brackets etc. are supposed to do so how on earth am I expected to do anything with the code on my own? All that happens when I tried to type it all by myself is I get a mass of error messages because of course I don't know what to do with all the extra stuff that isn't the commands.

So for basic C++ at least for now does anyone have a website or book they can talk to that explains every little detail in the code like a glossary? If I can get that then maybe I'll stand a chance of understanding it all, I've experimented with OpenGL and managed to make a warped cyan triangle ( lol ) clearly I need to start searching for stuff to help me understand all of this.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:20:52 PM

Learning C++ is not an easy task and indeed it seems to me that free online documentation is not much available.   I'd be happy if someone could point us to a good one, though.

Otherwise, you'll probably need a printed C++ reference manual.

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:27:33 PM

If you don't find any good references online, buy some printed books.
You could start to lean a c++/like language like PHP that should be easier.

During the last year of what you would call a "high school", i had to learn delphi. It's like coding with the dinosaurs. There is structure like
Code:
while something do
begin
    your code
end;
in c++ that becomes something like
Code:
while (i < 10)
{
    i++;
}

(just to explain you what brackets are and why you will love them).

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:37:47 PM

I recommend C++ Primer by Stanley B. Lippman.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:41:10 PM

Also, in case you don't know C either, you should really consider reading 'The C programming language', from Kernighan and Richie.  It's a must.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12983

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:43:57 PM

Also, in case you don't know C either, you should really consider reading 'The C programming language', from Kernighan and Richie.  It's a must.

C style is very different from C++ style. It's good to learn, but I'd learn C++ first.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:45:37 PM

And also, if what you are specifically interested is C++/OpenGL, and if you're looking for a project where to practice, and if you like video games (especially Minecraft), I would suggest you consider helping for the open-source, LGPL Minecraft clone called minetest.

http://minetest.net

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:48:12 PM

If you don't know what a bracket does, then you need a teacher/tutor, not a book.
You're on a very basis of software development, learning from your own and on websites will not help that much.
Learning OpenGL is far worse IMO, if you hate maths, run before you get crazy.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 01:57:17 PM

Oh crap I posted this by accident lol how?! I closed the browser!

Oh well and yes, that's why I was trying to close it... Okay seriously how the fuck did I post this? Someone must be trying to force me to learn code.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 02:25:51 PM

I started C++ using C++ For Dummies. It's quite effective despite what the title may imply.  Wink
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 02:33:09 PM

I started C++ using C++ For Dummies. It's quite effective despite what the title may imply.  Wink

That's what I'd recommend too to get a basic understanding of the whole thing. Shame they were not around when I first learned programming. We only had the reference manuals back then and believe me, that's no fun.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 02:34:55 PM

*head desks*
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 07:33:35 PM

antiRTFM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyVhn0FWWB4
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 08:09:49 PM

I code in C++ and opengl. I find the ability to code for the GPU using shader languages very exciting. The GPU can be used to perform lots of tasks including things like physics. But, there is a lot to learn.

I use code::blocks most for my IDE as its open source, cross platform and supports a wide range of compilers. The compiler I user most is the gnu gcc compiler in conjunction with mingw.

Debugging is an art, it can only be learned by doing. This involves lots of scratching of the head and experimentation. The error messages produced by compilers can be hard to interpret, but remember, that is because the compiler doesn't know what you are doing, so it can only state literal facts about the compilation attempt.

Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 08:25:13 PM

I dunno really, I wish I could learn it, but every time I try to it's just one fucking headache after another lol Tongue if it's explained to me bit by bit though I could struggle through it perhaps but I think I'd be better off designing a game rather than trying to code one which is my ultimate aim. My brain is definitely more towards Art and Economics than it is towards the maths area with all those damn equations and everything and of course I'm much better at making things with my hands.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: