Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:56:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BloodCoins and BloodBanker.org, the Bitcoin of Blood?  (Read 1766 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 05:33:21 PM

I just did a Google search for "buy bitcoin" and noticed an interesting looking sponsored ad for "BloodBanker.org":

Ads related to buy bitcoin
BitCoin of Blood Supply. - How blood shortages are stopped.
www.bloodbanker.org
Sustainable peer-to-peer currency.
Request an Invite - How it Works - Login - About

The site goes on to introduce some novel concept about how you can donate blood, and get "BloodCoins" which you can use later if you need blood.  Their home page says they're a 501(c)3 charity that accepts donations.

The site seems to use the concept of Bitcoin as a marketing tool, and has nothing to do with Bitcoin, block chains, or any technology related.  "BloodCoins" are probably nothing more than entries in their database.

But interestingly, they accept donations via PayPal and not Bitcoin.  Surely this must be because they haven't set themselves up with a provider like BitPay yet, and not because they are not convinced of the merits of sustainable peer-to-peer currency!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 05:37:50 PM

Lol?  Cheesy
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 05:51:29 PM

Maybe they're a scam.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 05:55:24 PM

Maybe they're a scam.

What are they gonna do? Sell my blood to vampires?
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 06:27:56 PM

Wow!! Great lulz here.

Hard to imagine what someone will think when they go searching for Bitcoin but instead are presented with an opportunity to receive an I.O.U. payable in blood?
paybitcoin

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

1h79nc

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 04:53:05 AM

This is exactly the sort of thing that trademark law is supposed to prevent...  Undecided
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 05:14:47 AM

So it's pretty much just a private blood bank.

This is exactly the sort of thing that trademark law is supposed to prevent...

You're going to have a hard time enforcing any kind of trademark to prevent an organisation using "xxx coins".   

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
paybitcoin

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

1h79nc

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 05:51:57 AM

So it's pretty much just a private blood bank.

This is exactly the sort of thing that trademark law is supposed to prevent...

You're going to have a hard time enforcing any kind of trademark to prevent an organisation using "xxx coins".   

In their ad it is called the "BitCoin of Blood Supply". This looks like intention to deceive users that they are somehow associated with Bitcoin, especially when they are advertising under google searches for "buy bitcoin". Like if you make a fast scooter and advertise as the "Ferrari of Electric Scooters" in a google ad for "buy ferrari", you would probably get a call from Ferrari's lawyers.

Not that I personally mind them using it, however I find it very interesting that they choose to introduce their service by mentioning it in relation to Bitcoin, rather than some other fundamentals (peer to peer currency, nonprofit registry, etc.)

I guess Bitcoin is mainstream now?  Tongue
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 01:39:03 PM

I guess Bitcoin is mainstream now?  Tongue

I wouldn't exactly call the idea of a blood bank from which you can only obtain blood if you donate "mainstream".  It's interesting that not one of their board members is a health professional.  Their claim that blood bank shortages are in any way related to "worldwide economic stability" is also rather dubious.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 05:32:29 PM

Are there other ways to mine Bloodcoins, can you buy multiple blood miners?  Wink

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 02:36:17 AM

Wouldnt it be great if you could earn bitcoins by donating blood....or "other" bodily fluids  Wink

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:06:25 AM

Wouldnt it be great if you could earn bitcoins by donating blood....or "other" bodily fluids  Wink

You already can, there's PPCoins.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
gabbergabe

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 12:54:39 AM

pp coins eh?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: