Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:40:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembered I started mining in early 2011 and trying to recover it  (Read 4406 times)
kirbyfez (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:37:36 PM

Hi all,

Hope its ok I post here.

My father reminded me the other day that I setup a computer in the garage for mining and just let it running.
It has since been running there for quite some time until it was taken a part god knows how long since...

The hard drive is still alive and i do see the cgminer-master folder on it.

Thing is I dont remember anything about it and googling hasnt gotten me much further either.

Cant find the cgminer.exe file that I guess I compiled back then or anything.

Any way to recover whatever might be there?
Is the address stored anything?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:40:24 PM

I don't understand what your problem is. What do you want to recover ? The mining softwares or the coins mined by it ? Did you mined on a pool or did you go solo ? If you go solo this is in your wallet and if you were mining on a pool this ether on the pool website or in your wallet too.
kirbyfez (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 10:26:41 PM

Hi sorry,

My problem is finding my wallet or the website..
I really cant remember that far back what I was even doing.

I think I started first for a pool then went over to solo but I'm not sure.. Might have just continued with the pool.
I tried searching for a wallet.day in appdata but couldnt seem to find it.

Any idea if any information might be stored in a data file or something within the folder?
Anything that can lead me to the pool if i had one?

Best regards
Christian
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 10:35:30 PM

Hi sorry,

I think I started first for a pool then went over to solo but I'm not sure.. Might have just continued with the pool.

Any idea if any information might be stored in a data file or something within the folder?

Best regards
Christian

There's no Bitcoin Core in the computer ? If you can find this you'll be able to recover your coins.
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 10:37:59 PM

Hi sorry,

Best regards
Christian

it's the "wallet.dat" file. but make several copies of it before you work with it.

kirbyfez (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 10:45:47 PM

Thats my issue, I cant find any wallet.dat file. Thats why I'm hoping there is file that might hold logs in cgminer or anything that can lead me in the right direction.
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 10:50:12 PM

Thats my issue, I cant find any wallet.dat file. Thats why I'm hoping there is file that might hold logs in cgminer or anything that can lead me in the right direction.

then it was connected to a mining pool. no configuration file or file with credential in it on the hard drive?

kirbyfez (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 10:54:26 PM

Thats what I'm trying to find at the moment but cant seem to find which file it was in.
Was hoping someone here might know
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2016, 11:02:07 PM

Thats what I'm trying to find at the moment but cant seem to find which file it was in.

it should be file cgminer.conf

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:21:39 PM

Do you have bitcoin core as asked above? If not do you have a wallet on your computer?

If it was online... depends on where you stored it but if it was in 2011... it's hard to say if site is still there.  You would need to know site.
flikflak

Activity: 408
Merit: 259

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:43:17 PM

Is the harddrive still bootable?

If so and you were using cgminer with the old-school command line, all your commands could be stored in the OS. I can see all my recent commands with the up/down arrows.

Edit: Just tried it... had success with linux, but not with MS. 
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 02:52:36 AM

Is the harddrive still bootable?

If so and you were using cgminer with the old-school command line, all your commands could be stored in the OS. I can see all my recent commands with the up/down arrows.

Edit: Just tried it... had success with linux, but not with MS. 

If not booting I would try to put it in another computer sometimes you can still see the drive and it is something with boot.  But OP really needs to know if it was on hard drive or if it was online wallet.

Right now there are a TON of possibilities.  Cant really help till he tells us more.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 07:55:05 AM

if the coins were in the pool, i'm sure they are gone right now, unless there wasa threshold with a certain amount to be retired in your wallet, but you can't seems to find that wallet dat, so we are in a deadlock
vengeful

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

if i can't save earth, i'll damn sure avenge it

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 01:58:57 PM

Just a quick question...

Did you never went to your garage after starting your rig??? You never saw your computer running?? You said you started mining in 2011  and let it run for some time. How much time was that approximately?

If your rig did some mining for however long it was up and running then you could find your data in .dat file or try to run another cgminer.exe file using the batch file that was created that had the credentials or IPs that were used for mining, if the drive is still operational, that is...
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 02:32:15 AM

More information would be useful.

You say you started in 2011 so obviously it was easy to mine back then, however how long did you leave it running give an estimate, 1 day 1 week a year ..... ??

Do you know the PC's specs because if it was a rubbish computer then you may have so little coins its not worth worrying about

I don't think hes coming back:

Date Registered:    January 05, 2016, 09:35:16 PM
Last Active:    January 05, 2016, 11:19:53 PM

I don't think there is much we can do in all honesty.  He needs to know if he stored it online or on PC, if he cant say that there is nothing we can do.  If online I would have him check email from then... but chances of it being there from 2011 till no is slim.   

But I think this is a moot point as I do not think hes coming back looking at profile was only online for around 2 hours.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: