Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:36:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there an asset tracking software that supports Bitcoin? (Better than GnuCash)  (Read 3106 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 11:11:08 PM

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/5867/is-there-asset-tracking-software-that-supports-bitcoin-better-than-gnucash

I'm looking for a way to manage all of my assets. I have various assets in multiple currencies & investment instruments.

I think I would like to try using a software that works with double-entry bookkeeping. I'm trying out GnuCash so far, and it seems to do a decent job:

It can easily track all Fiat currencies and has automatically updated prices.
Can be made to work with Bitcoin using the XXX custom currency code.
Is a tad complicated to begin with, but I think over time it's worth it.
Frankly, the one thing I'm missing is integration of an Mt. Gox price feed and the ugliness of writing XXX instead of BTC.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 11:42:31 PM

Frankly, the one thing I'm missing is integration of an Mt. Gox price feed and the ugliness of writing XXX instead of BTC.

Cheesy

You have free, powerful double-entry accounting software, and you are disappointed you have to write XXX instead of BTC.

Cheesy
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 11:45:43 PM

Cheesy

You have free, powerful double-entry accounting software, and you are disappointed you have to write XXX instead of BTC.

Cheesy

What can I say, we (my generation) are spoiled Smiley

It's the lack of price feed that's the real issue, of course. It's not big enough for me to not like the program - even though it's hard to get into, it looks really powerful and well built.

I could make a few minor UI improvements, but overall it works well.

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 07:26:45 AM

Why doesn't anyone start a bounty I mean for 200+ btcs I could write an accountant software. I would also need a list of features, it shouldn't be too hard.

Why not just fork GnuCash and add BTC support?

Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 10:38:21 AM

Or just get gnucash to integrate BTC. Sounds like all they need to do is add a new currency code, advertise it on these forums, and it would probably become the default accounting software used in these parts.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 11:40:32 AM

Why doesn't anyone start a bounty I mean for 200+ btcs I could write an accountant software. I would also need a list of features, it shouldn't be too hard.

Cause people are going to want it connected it there bitcoin-qt client or any client that can export the transactions. I feel to do it right just start from scratch.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 11:44:44 AM

Cause people are going to want it connected it there bitcoin-qt client or any client that can export the transactions. I feel to do it right just start from scratch.

I think it's another case of wheel reinvention / not invented here syndrome.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 11:47:14 AM

I plan to add a GL package to the (about to be launched) CIYAM Open project that will be able to get data directly via bitcoind - please check out the announcement for this project (hopefully tomorrow) and if people are keen enough for this to happen quickly then I can create a task to build it which can then be funded (note that I have used GNU Cash for years and also spent many years working on Fixed Asset Management software in the past).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 12:38:49 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2012, 12:49:23 PM by TangibleCryptography

Exactly. The idea that high quality accounting software can be built from the ground up for 200 BTC is silly. 3-4 BTC per hour (at least), that's what 50-60 hours.   GnuCash probably has 10,000 hours of active development and still isn't feature complete.  Something like Peachtree is probably in the hundred thousand man hours of development.  Optimally the mainline gnucash would support BTC but a fork is closer than a standalone piece of feature poor software used by almost nobody.

To build a standalone software misses the point.   99.9% of businesses aren't going to learn a new accounting package.   Getting BTC support in their accounting package is the long term solution.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 01:46:21 PM

With the highest respect to the GNU Cash project and other existing accounting projects I really do have a very good understanding of creating this kind of software and with the approach taken in creating CIYAM Open projects the "man hours' gets reduced by a factor of at least a few hundred.

If you are skeptical please take a look at the following: http://ciyam.org/slideshow.html

This shows the creation of a complete app with Blog, PM's, Forum and a Project funding/management system in under 5 minutes with *zero* manual coding (and all done from a Galaxy Tab).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 03:40:15 PM

You may want to check out my post here,
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=129420.msg1411659#msg1411659

I've been working a little on adapting MoneyGuru to support Bitcoin. My small patch adds a Bitcoin XBC symbol and support for 8 decimal places. I've been using MoneyGuru for a couple weeks to track my personal accounts including bitcoins.

galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 03:37:39 AM

Guys, your accounting software doesn't need moment to moment price information. Accounting exists so that you can prepare monthly statements and track your performance over time. It doesn't exist to give you second-to-second price information.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 01:41:53 PM

I've used GnuCash for the last ~ month, and it's been invaluable to me!
I'm really loving it!

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 01:59:07 PM

I'm really loving it!

I've used it for the last 6 years or so - overall I think it's a good product but the UI can be a bit annoying at times (such as clipboard operations not working for certain fields making data entry far more manual than it should be and when printing reports to a PDF printer I find them coming out upside down or worse).

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 03:06:36 PM

I'm really loving it!

I've used it for the last 6 years or so - overall I think it's a good product but the UI can be a bit annoying at times (such as clipboard operations not working for certain fields making data entry far more manual than it should be and when printing reports to a PDF printer I find them coming out upside down or worse).

Yeah, UI is a bit irritating, but I'm not aware of a serious alternative.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 03:26:01 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2013, 03:38:26 PM by CIYAM Pty. Ltd.

Yeah, UI is a bit irritating, but I'm not aware of a serious alternative.

I plan to build a General Ledger package for CIYAM Open later this year (the basic approach will be the same as GNU Cash).

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 03:58:54 PM

Not familiar with that, but cool - please update here when it's relevant.

Darktongue

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 07:32:04 PM

I think a fork would be the best option. I don't doubt the skills most developers have in this community. But really 200BTC could go a lot farther in forking and building crypto currency into the software.

Perhaps what would be more inviteing would be a way to imput custom currency with symbol and any other vital infomation the software needs to uniform things. We have individuals that work with more then just BTC I'm sure they would want to track those currencies as well. reguardless of how long, short or wide assed they ever become.
bitcoinsrule

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 07:39:48 AM

Ledger.  It's awesome!

I was using gnucash but now I've moved completely to it, and I get up to date spot price on silver, gold and bitcoin!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/155gw5/heres_how_you_use_ledger_to_account_for_bitcoin/
Bartholomeo

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 01:32:23 PM

I'd like to add to the list one more online tracker: assetbalance.info
Advantages:30 days history chart, mobile friendly, assets are not limited to crypto, public and private portfolio with api.
Disadvantages: No API to exchanges, no dynamic portfolio based on public addresses.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: