Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:15:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATI 5830 RIP, we barely new ye  (Read 1927 times)
shakaru (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:13:45 PM

Just out of Frys, the 58XX series of card are discontinued and are not available anymore from the manufacturer. All remaining stocks are finial for this chip.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dingus

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:17:58 PM

So, no more 58xx..period? Or just from Fry's? What will this entail for the price of bitcoin? Will it affect the price due to the more costly 6xxx series cards only being available?

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
donotdisassemble

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:22:11 PM

wow... im certainly glad I picked up a bunch yesterday from tigerdirect, hope they hold up to the abuse they are about to receive!.  I really wanted the 5850's originally but they have been sold out since I started looking early last week, RIP.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:24:13 PM

Why can't the vid card manufacturers wake up to the needs of the market?

What % of sales are going to miners these days?

Matthew
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:28:19 PM

For about the billionth time. Bitcoin isn't reliant on last generation GPUs being available from stores. Partly because store prices are horrible (the one quick batch from sapphire to clear out stocks being the exception), partly because there are literally millions of ATI 5xxx series GPUs out there to be tapped (buying / selling / mining on their own) and partly because the existing crop of miners is fine for the moment in terms of generation of bitcoins.

What bitcoin needs is continued growth in terms of saleable services using bitcoins and continued trust and faith in bitcoin as a sensible alternative to cash, credit and carry.

The only thing 5830s being out of stock affects is people who see their computers as golden egg laying geese and want to hop on the bandwagon. Well, you can still do that, but you'll have to be smarter about it now.

Matthew

I've answered this at least 5 times before, pretty sure to you too. 20-30,000 cards mining vs. 15-25million 5xxx cards. Mining is nothing.
LegitBit

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:30:27 PM

Matthew

Nearly nothing Matthew.

I know it seems like allot because we are all so into this right now. Bitcoin is tiny right now.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
iMiner

Activity: 37

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:32:59 PM

It seems like the situation here in Europe is somewhat better regarding the 58xx cards. Plenty of them for sale where I live. Would anyone be interested in having them shipped overseas?
Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:36:51 PM

It seems like the situation here in Europe is somewhat better regarding the 58xx cards. Plenty of them for sale where I live. Would anyone be interested in having them shipped overseas?

Depends how much they are. I'm interested Smiley

AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:38:23 PM

How much would they be -- how much is shipping, and what's the EUR/USD exchange rate?
kirby9058

Activity: 50

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:38:56 PM

I'm glad I picked up a 2nd 5830 while I could. I'm mostly just mining for fun, and to see if I can make any extra income. The machine doubles as my gaming rig, so if I end up being a total mining failure I'll have a pretty decent performing rig. Cheesy

Anyone still looking to pick one up might be out of luck if you want a good price. TD has the Diamond and ASUS 5830's for $200-300. Not really worth buying a last-generation at that price, in my opinion.
AngelusWebDesign

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:43:59 PM

Matthew

Nearly nothing Matthew.

I know it seems like allot because we are all so into this right now. Bitcoin is tiny right now.

But miners buy 4, 8, 12 or MORE cards each. Even if miners are a small % of the card-buying population, they still have a disproportionate impact.

Besides, why are the 58XX cards sold out everywhere in the US, if miners are so few and insignificant? We're talking online stores, local places, you name it. Miners are being felt.
ItsASpork

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:54:34 PM

Just picked up 2 from NCIX for $200 CDN. Gotta love price match.

Feeling Generous? 16Zo6werKP4akoTfHc9P5XXBGS2jFqeuSt
Support the Bitcoin Faucet
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:01:09 PM

Matthew

Nearly nothing Matthew.

But miners buy 4, 8, 12 or MORE cards each. Even if miners are a small % of the card-buying population, they still have a disproportionate impact.

Besides, why are the 58XX cards sold out everywhere in the US, if miners are so few and insignificant? We're talking online stores, local places, you name it. Miners are being felt.

I don't know why you are so adamant to ignore firm numbers. 30k / 10M = .3% Less than 1/3rd of a percent of (5xxx) GPU owners are miners.

Why are 58xx cards sold out everywhere? Because they are old technology. The 58xx series was launched in 2009. Nearly 2 years ago. Since then AMD has moved on, they are no longer fabricating 58xx chips. Manufacturers can only create videocards with chips AMD produced. No more chips, no more video cards. They bought a lot of chips while demand was high and tapered off their buying as demand dropped. 2 years later there is basically no demand and thus no buying. They are clearing out their last remaining stocks of unsold cards (perhaps solely to miners) and then moving on with their lives to sell the new 6xxx series, and gearing up to sell the 7xxx series.

It's very simple. Miners make up a tiny little niche market that provides no incentive to manufacturers to cater to (as they are alread buying their products). I'm not sure how to make this any clearer for you.
LegitBit

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:05:41 PM

Oops, someone already got to that. Sorry.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
iMiner

Activity: 37

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:13:04 PM

How much would they be -- how much is shipping, and what's the EUR/USD exchange rate?

amazon.de
amazon.co.uk

Exchange Rate

You would need a Freight forwarder like Borderlinx or AddressGermany.com, or a nice forum member of course Smiley
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:20:03 PM

I remember 5830's were priced at over $200 a year ago and did not really provide good value. You either went for the 5770 or the 5850. The last batches going for $100 is just that.

A more valid complaint would be "Why are 6990's so difficult to get? ", since we are talking about current technology here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: