Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:47:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [DVC] Let's rescue devtome.com!  (Read 2977 times)
develCuy (OP)

Activity: 470
Merit: 350

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 05:07:25 PM
Last edit: January 24, 2016, 05:22:03 PM by develCuy

UPDATE 2016-01-24
- Weisoq announced that Devtome is back to normal again!
- This revolution is official over! Celebrate!

UPDATE 2016-01-19
- Hunterbunter (head of Devcoin) and Novacadian provided official feedback on what is current status of devtome.com. See #23, #25
- The plan is suspended for 2 weeks, while HB and Nova work on fixing devtome.com issues

UPDATE 2016-01-12
- We got some people interested on moving things forward.
- There is an action plan proposed at #17. Please provide your feedback before 2016-01-18!
- A user with superadmin powers in devtome.com is available to help move devtome.com to devtome.org (as proposed in the action plan)

ORIGINAL POST
That is it, I want to start the rescue of devtome.com.

A little background about me, I'm proud member of devcoin community, being granted several ongoing shares for my contributions and assignments (Devcoin Share List, Marketing, Investor Administrator, Node Maintenance). I'm really frustrated because my assignment of "Investor Administrator" is currently blocked, since people running devtome.com is not responding, that makes impossible to deploy my code. Also, I like to contribute to the wiki but current annoying bugs make it really hard.

Ok, this is the plan:

1. Diagnose current situation
2. Propose solutions (only what you can actually do, don't expect help from people running devtome.com)
3. Fix this mess
4. Celebrate!

My previous post: "[DVC] What happened to Devcoin leadership!" (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1288592), demonstrates that people running devtome.com "just have no interest in keeping them ticking, and don't respond when you try to get them to do their job." as Hunterbunter said already (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233997.msg13277774#msg13277774)

First things first, we need to diagnose current situation of Devtome.com, please share your thoughts.

Let's make it happen!

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 05:20:40 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2016, 10:10:35 AM by benthach

i see a bagholder is crying for help.
get over it, it's over!
learn not to fall for scam coin.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
wiser
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 06:45:25 PM

That is it, I want to start the rescue of devtome.com.

A little background about me, I'm proud member of devcoin community, being granted several ongoing shares for my contributions and assignments (Devcoin Share List, Marketing, Investor Administrator, Node Maintenance). I'm really frustrated because my assignment of "Investor Administrator" is currently blocked, since people running devtome.com is not responding, that makes impossible to deploy my code. Also, I like to contribute to the wiki but current annoying bugs make it really hard.

Ok, this is the plan:

1. Diagnose current situation
2. Propose solutions (only what you can actually do, don't expect help from people running devtome.com)
3. Fix this mess
4. Celebrate!

My previous post: "[DVC] What happened to Devcoin leadership!" (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1288592), demonstrates that people running devtome.com "just have no interest in keeping them ticking, and don't respond when you try to get them to do their job." as Hunterbunter said already (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233997.msg13277774#msg13277774)

First things first, we need to diagnose current situation of Devtome.com, please share your thoughts.

Let's make it happen!

If there's something I can help with, let me know. I don't do code, though, just writing. I maintain a copy of each month's receiver file, and I supposedly sign up new writers but no one's contacted me to join for months. I also try to write, though lately haven't been able to do that.
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 08:21:24 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2016, 03:24:58 AM by BitcoinNational

i see bagholder crying for help.
get over it, it's over!
learn not to fall for scam coin.

sure a merge mined coin of some +1000days of operation
yeah that's dead, die like years ago

no some weird free reward to the foundation, 'free money' that's the issue
route that reward to working devs of all types then it works

but yeah that part looks to be a scam
i looked at it years ago and saw 'the reward system'
a kind of free lunch and never looked back
so i've forgotten the exact details

First things first, we need to diagnose current situation of Devtome.com
and the old situation that caused it to become less than fully functional

there is $6Billion in bitcoin and it could be easy to get 0.00125 of that value sent into DVC if it did indeed function as a bitcoin/digital currency foundation/institute of dev.   Think wikipedia.  

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
develCuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2016, 08:51:40 PM

If there's something I can help with, let me know. I don't do code, though, just writing. I maintain a copy of each month's receiver file, and I supposedly sign up new writers but no one's contacted me to join for months. I also try to write, though lately haven't been able to do that.

Good vibes @wiser! I think writing skills will help to spread this revolution.

Join Devcoin: Telegram, Reddit, Discord, Facebook, Keybase  | The Devcoin Project - from the many, one. From one, the source
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 07:12:09 AM

I don't even remember now why it got moved to devtome.com, I control the devtome.org domain and at some point was instructed to make that a redirect to the dot com, and who-ever controlled the mchine that was hosted on changed which type of wiki software to use for it, I had originally set it up as a mediawiki I believe.

Maybe part of the issue was people not wanting me to have control of so much of the project or some political thing like that.

If someone clones the thing on some other host, someone who we can actually expect to stick around available for the long haul, I can point devtome.org at it.

But the thing is still online so someone is presumably still paying for hosting or is hosting it on a server they already have online anyway for some reason, who the heck is that? As who-ever that is should be able to change the password of the user the wiki runs as, then that user should be able to fix up the member records for who gets admin powers within the wiki system, and update the wiki software or whatever it is that needs doing at that level.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
ashleysly

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 10:39:46 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2016, 10:52:25 AM by ashleysly

I too agree it should be rescued.
I remember when the value was up in the hundreds of satoshis, but that was so long ago!
Maybe we should have Devcoin 2.0!
But I'll try to help as much as I can.
What are the available options for this coin?

Earn Devcoins by Writing
Support me build a plane to advertise DVC: 1Mdu9MbAEsUm81NzEPQR7GCkUxbG39pWMy
develCuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 04:02:01 PM

I remember when the value was up in the hundreds of satoshis, but that was so long ago!

I'm not sure about forking Devcoin right now. The intention of this thread is to rescue devtome.com first. Would you like to help with that? How would you like to help (in practical terms)?

develCuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 04:10:37 PM

If someone clones the thing on some other host, someone who we can actually expect to stick around available for the long haul, I can point devtome.org at it.

I run devtome.tk which also redirects to devtome.com, it will be pointed to devtome.org in the future.

Back to the plan, the idea was to diagnose what is going on so what I read from the feedback so far, is that devtome.com is a blackbox we can't fix so we need to fork an start over in a new website. I think that will take work but is viable. Actually, I commit to clone devtome.com somehow when the time comes, and help with hosting for the first few months, but I'm not moving a finger alone, we have to be together and have a solid plan first.

It is up to you guys, please read carefully, share your feedback and propose alternatives if you think I'm smoking too much.

develCuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 04:18:59 PM

First things first, we need to diagnose current situation of Devtome.com
and the old situation that caused it to become less than fully functional

there is $6Billion in bitcoin and it could be easy to get 0.00125 of that value sent into DVC if it did indeed function as a bitcoin/digital currency foundation/institute of dev.   Think wikipedia.  

You seem to have a point but let's redirect energy to finding a solution for devtome.com, would you like to help please tell how. Now is time to join forces, to work together, are you interested? please tell, otherwise, please let us work, we are trying to fix some mess here. Thanks!

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 05:00:01 PM

Yeah when the late 2013 flood of noobs came and bought anything not nailed to the floor.
They didn't know what it was.. or care.
They just wanted profit from shit coins.. ANY of them.
And any of the cheapest shit coins were a prime target.. like DVC.

i recall DVC guys giving away free coins to anyone that did pretty much anything.
and these were no small amounts either.. they were paying large !
So we knew damn well it was being abused like crazy.. it was obvious.

The only thing they asked people to do was write "something" about it.. ka-ching payday LOL
I'm surprised the OP didn't get paid for posting this topic. hahhaha

The only thing i ever seen submitted was a cloning guide by Shakezulu..
Who seen my topic here mocking him about then quickly ran over there and removed it ROFL

Other than that i have not heard of 1 notable thing that ever came out of DVC
And having shady guys like Shake swirling around it doesn't help LOL

And that guys earlier made a good point.. Why did it fail ? Fix that maybe ?
You can't.. its a "Bro-Coin" with millions dished out to friends years ago..
I was also thinking Bag-Holder too like that other guy when i read this.
OP did not make a convincing argument.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 05:09:18 PM

Ok so will you help me save Jackpot Coin then too ?

"What are the available options for this coin?" ?
Simple.. MONEY
Pay people to save it.. or else it dies.. like all the rest.
That is how this stuff works Wink

develCuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 05:13:24 PM

Ok so will you help me save Jackpot Coin then too ?

"What are the available options for this coin?" ?
Simple.. MONEY
Pay people to save it.. or else it dies.. like all the rest.
That is how this stuff works Wink

@Spoetnik, you are pointing your gun to the wrong spot, we are talking about devtome.com, not Devcoin. Would you help us rescue it? please share your thoughts on an action plan, otherwise please let us work, we are just a few people but we really want to fix things, not messing with anyone OK?

iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 08:06:33 PM

This was one of my first altcoin that I nuy in 2013-2014, but respect the good firstly chance, I can't see a good boarding member behind it.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2016, 11:09:59 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2016, 04:36:03 AM by markm

Actually since it was the insane amounts of shares being given out to Devtome authors that screwed DeVCoin, maybe having Devtome out of commission could be a good thing, if it means no-one can get paid for writing on the Devtome wiki anymore.

However, it seems like some people can still write there.

Plus supposedly Devtome now only pays out of its own quota of the total DeVCoin shares, so that no matter how many authors write how many articles they make no dent in the pay going out to the admins and the various free open source software projects and so on?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 12:54:58 AM

markm, knew what i was saying i think..
and he made some DAMN GOOD points too.
i learned something on that .. i had no idea what it's current situation is.

develCuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 01:38:13 AM

Actually since it was the insane amounts of shares being given out to Devtome authors that screwed DeVCoin, so maybe having Devtome out of commission could be a good thing, if it means no-one can get paid for writing on the Devtome wiki anymore.

However, it seems like some people can still write there.

Plus supposedly Devtome now only pays out of its own quota of the total DeVCoin shares, so that no matter how many authors write how many articles they make no dent in the pay going out to the admins and the various free open source software projects and so on?

Great points @markm! The worst case scenario is that we are leaving devcoin infrastructure so the new site will depend completely on its own income, yet we are promoting Devcoin so payments should be in Devcoin. Also, I plan to donate some of my ongoing shares for a few rounds so the new devtome has liquidity. All this makes me feel like the worst case is not that bad, guess we can ship with this plan:

1. Start a new wiki at devtome.org (dokuwiki? mediawiki?)
2. Setup ads (adsense?)
3. Setup analytics (analytics?)
4. Setup payment rules (how do we pay people?)
5. Define admins (anyone available?)
6. Invite everyone to join the new site (launch campaign)
7. Foster the new site (marketing campaign)

Of course, this is just an initial proposal, we need your feedback to validate and improve it.

BitcoinNational
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 12:07:39 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2016, 08:23:06 PM by BitcoinNational

1. Don't care about the value (near term)
2. Not an easy feat to fork, but maybe remove the free handout rewards
3. Start a new wiki at devtome.org <BUMP great move MarkM behind it>
4. The project needs to be an alternative research team for the btc core code, code repository work, alt coin wiki, digital economy wiki, digital media wiki, and devtome writers first focus on proving 'basic language' traslations of the btc code, mainly so kids can learn the core code, for da children!

Big project devtome could also do their own version of wikipedia, coupled with crypto tech that rewards based on content, and maybe look at the work Eric Schwartz was doing on uploading academic research.  Plus tips built into it.   

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
BitcoinNational
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 08:19:57 PM

a for-profit community website where anonymous contributors get paid in cryptocoins based on content revenue ... AD revenue

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
develCuy (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 11:30:12 PM

a for-profit community website where anonymous contributors get paid in cryptocoins based on content revenue ... AD revenue

@BitcoinNational, your definition fits in the corporate world but devtome is a lot more than just a for-profit strategy. Devtome was created to create an ecosystem that promotes creativeness. Organizations start to fall when people forget the purpose. In this new beginning we need to embrace the purpose and make sure that it is preserved and even improved. Devtome should also contribute to increase the amount and quality of contributions, providing sustainability to the community, which then completes the cycle.

If we make Devtome a community with a common purpose for a better world, then it will be successful. Hope you guys share a similar perspective.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: