Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:16:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Easy to use portable Bitcoin client  (Read 5219 times)
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2013, 01:41:23 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2013, 04:00:52 AM by BkkCoins

Seems like I am destined to make every mistake possible.

I have forgotten my wallet password.
Wasn't much in there to begin with.
So, I've read pretty much impossible to recover it.
Fine I can live with that and my mistake.

the REAL QUESTION IS:

How do I uninstall , reinstall electrum so that I can have a chance of entering a NEW password and then making sure I don't forget it ?
Else if I delete it, and restart it, it would just ask for the old password which I forgot...
Thanks again.
Did you forget the password or the "seed". The password protects you from someone spending funds and is asked for when you want to send money. The seed is generated when you created the wallet and were told to write it down (12 words). With the seed you can restore the wallet even when you have forgotten the password. But if you didn't write down the seed then your wallet cannot be recovered.

Either way you don't need to uninstall and reinstall. You either need to "restore" if you know your seed, or "create" a new wallet if you don't. Both can be done as commands on the cmd line, and it will work from the desktop too.

You can do a restore or create by starting electrum with a new wallet option,
electrum -w my_new_wallet
(use whatever new name you like)
And then selecting Restore in the dialog. It will ask for your seed, and after that a new password. If you don't know the seed then you'll have no option but to select Create instead of Restore, which will generate a completely new wallet.

On Unity desktop I think you can do this command by typing Alt-F2 and then typing command as above. After restored you probably want to backup your old electrum.dat file and rename the my_new_wallet to elctrum.dat so that it is the default wallet.

tnkflx

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 11:25:50 AM

Please don't use 3rd party provided Electrum binaries. Only use binaries downloaded from electrum.org.

If you want to provide extra binaries, come to IRC and discuss this with ThomasV.

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
BarelyThere21

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 11:46:12 AM

Has anyone given blockchain a try?
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2013, 04:53:17 PM

Please don't use 3rd party provided Electrum binaries. Only use binaries downloaded from electrum.org.

If you want to provide extra binaries, come to IRC and discuss this with ThomasV.

+1

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
bitcats (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 07:07:31 PM

New version released: Electrum 1.6.1 portable
A switch button now allows to easily switch between Lite and Classic GUI.
Various improvements (see changelog).

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
tnkflx

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 10:34:29 PM

New version released: Electrum 1.6.1 portable
A switch button now allows to easily switch between Lite and Classic GUI.
Various improvements (see changelog).

Really? Deleting your old post and then posting the same exact thing as last post?

dave859

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:48:19 AM

I don't understand what is the benefit of downloading this if on the official site there's already a portable app to be downloaded. Are you re-hosting it? building it yourself?
bitcats (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 06:57:56 AM

I don't understand what is the benefit of downloading this if on the official site there's already a portable app to be downloaded. Are you re-hosting it? building it yourself?
There is a standalone executable on the official site, but no portable client. Thats why I've made this portable version of the client. It contains the official standalone executable from slush. You can download and compare both versions.
I made this version for my own use, as I like the electrum client and I prefer portable apps. As there is no other portable client available yet, I decided to share it  Smiley

"Unser Problem ist nicht ziviler Ungehorsam, unser Problem ist ziviler Gehorsam."  - Howard Zinn
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 11:31:03 AM

Which executable did you use precisely. I compared the exe inside your ported version with the current 1.6.1 on the side and the md5 did not match.

Code:
md5 electrum-1.6.1.exe
MD5 (electrum-1.6.1.exe) = 4e380225001227662ab326999c30fa1b

md5 electrum.exe
MD5 (electrum.exe) = 7374169cb814540b51f4a2123bdb810f

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
bitcats (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 11:53:30 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2013, 12:21:50 PM by bitcats

Which executable did you use precisely. I compared the exe inside your ported version with the current 1.6.1 on the side and the md5 did not match.
Code:
md5 electrum-1.6.1.exe

md5 electrum.exe
  The nightly build: electrum-20130114-e0cf89a794.exe  

Thanks for checking it  Smiley

tnkflx

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:46:58 PM

Code:
md5 electrum-1.6.1.exe

md5 electrum.exe
  The nightly build: electrum-20130114-e0cf89a794.exe  

Thanks for checking it  Smiley

Nightly builds are not considered stable... At least note this somewhere...

Just get on IRC and help the developers instead of distributing potentially unsafe binaries via unofficial ways...

bitcats (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 01:04:54 PM

Just get on IRC and help the developers instead of distributing potentially unsafe binaries via unofficial ways...
"Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!" Clint Eastwood

tnkflx

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:37:35 PM

"That's not an opinion, that's a fact." -Me

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:43:32 PM

A not so sure fact?

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
tnkflx

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 03:51:18 PM

A not so sure fact?

I'm sure of that fact Smiley Do you trust a 3rd party generated/compiled/whatever binary downloaded via an URL shortener service and not via the official site (electrum.org)?

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:22:42 PM

A not so sure fact?

I'm sure of that fact Smiley Do you trust a 3rd party generated/compiled/whatever binary downloaded via an URL shortener service and not via the official site (electrum.org)?

The question here isn't if I trust or not the download, but the fact that based on nothing you are saying that you don't know if his download can be trusted, and is claiming to be a fact.

tnkflx

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 05:42:24 PM

A not so sure fact?

The question here isn't if I trust or not the download, but the fact that based on nothing you are saying that you don't know if his download can be trusted, and is claiming to be a fact.

Ok, you don't seem to get the message and that's fine, I'll spell it out for you.

Consider this a fact: Do not ever, in your life, trust unsigned binaries, provided via an URL shortener service by a 3rd party when there are official binaries available from the official page of the project (especially when dealing with a currency like Bitcoin)... Granted, the official binaries do not contain all features (the portable aspect) of this binary (yet), but the author could have chosen to work with the developers. He choose not to...

Btw, where is the full source of your binary?

ragmondo

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2013, 06:06:43 PM

If I can add, it may not be "you" that is doing something naughty, but it's imperative that we ensure people who aren't so technical that they only install trusted binaries. If someone installs your app and "gets in the habit" of just trusting someone on an internet forum and installing their software, we could suffer a whole world of pain should a not-so-nice individual inject a private key sniffer in another version.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 06:17:00 PM

A not so sure fact?

Ok, you don't seem to get the message and that's fine, I'll spell it out for you.

Consider this a fact: Do not ever, in your life, trust unsigned binaries, provided via an URL shortener service by a 3rd party when there are official binaries available from the official page of the project (especially when dealing with a currency like Bitcoin)... Granted, the official binaries do not contain all features (the portable aspect) of this binary (yet), but the author could have chosen to work with the developers. He choose not to...

Btw, where is the full source of your binary?

I'm not dumb, I know those things, I'm just saying that you can't simply say that only because that this binany isn't the official linked on a tinyurl that this means a scam or a way to steal coins.

He provided it on the 2º post(3rd counting with the OP)

tnkflx

View Profile
January 16, 2013, 10:24:03 AM

blablabla
I'm not dumb, I know those things, I'm just saying that you can't simply say that only because that this binany isn't the official linked on a tinyurl that this means a scam or a way to steal coins.

He provided it on the 2º post(3rd counting with the OP)

Please reread everything I said... I didn't say you were dumb (sorry if you thought that's what I meant) & I didn't say his binary is a scam. End of discussion Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: